Fonds PR1681 - Abasand Oils Limited fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Abasand Oils Limited fonds

General material designation

    Parallel title

    Other title information

    Title statements of responsibility

    Title notes

    • Source of title proper: Title based on the content of the records.

    Level of description

    Fonds

    Reference code

    PR1681

    Edition area

    Edition statement

    Edition statement of responsibility

    Class of material specific details area

    Statement of scale (cartographic)

    Statement of projection (cartographic)

    Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

    Statement of scale (architectural)

    Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

    Dates of creation area

    Date(s)

    • 1926-1943 (Creation)

    Physical description area

    Physical description

    0.49 m of textual records and other material

    Publisher's series area

    Title proper of publisher's series

    Parallel titles of publisher's series

    Other title information of publisher's series

    Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

    Numbering within publisher's series

    Note on publisher's series

    Archival description area

    Name of creator

    (1930-1975)

    Administrative history

    In 1930, Max W. Ball and associates Basil O. Jones and James McClave established Canadian Northern Oil-Sand Products Limited to produce oil and refined products from the oil sands of the Athabasca region near Fort McMurray, Alberta. A charter was issued to Canadian Northern Oil-Sand Products by the Federal Government on September 2, 1930; the head office of the company was located in Edmonton, Alberta.

    The company developed a process for the extraction of oil from the oil sands. The Canadian Northern Oil-Sand Products was renamed Abasand Oils Limited in 1935. The company built a plant on land leased from the Federal Government on the banks of the Horse River, near Fort McMurray, Alberta; the plant opened in 1936. In 1943, the Federal Government took over operations at the Abasand Oils' plant under the War Measures Act. The plant was damaged by fire in 1945. The federal government abandoned the site in May 1946, and the rights and properties were returned to the Abasand Oils. The plant did not resume operations.

    In 1953, Abasand Oils subleased most of its oil sands holdings, but it was not until 1967 that it began to receive royalties. Abasand Oils became a subsidiary of Canadian Industrial Gas and Oil Limited, which dissolved in 1975.

    Custodial history

    Scope and content

    The fonds consists of records regarding the formation, operation and liquidation of Abasand Oils Limited, including agreements, correspondence, financial records, auditor’s reports, share register, reports, newspaper clippings, maps and blueprints.

    Notes area

    Physical condition

    Immediate source of acquisition

    Douglas Ball, Max Waite Ball’s son, deposited the records in the Provincial Archives of Alberta in 1988.

    Arrangement

    Arrangement note: Max Waite Ball's involvement in Abasand Oils Limited ceased in 1943. Records from PR1988.0470 dating after 1943 have been included in the Max W. Ball fonds. Some personal correspondence may however be found amongst the Abasand Oils Limited records.

    Language of material

      Script of material

        Language and script note

        The material is in English.

        Location of originals

        Availability of other formats

        Restrictions on access

        Access Conditions: None

        Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

        Use Conditions: Permission for use required. Subject to the Copyright Act.

        Finding aids

        File list is not available.

        Associated materials

        The fonds was deposited at the same time and in the same accession as records from the Max W. Ball fonds (PR1589). As well, see GR1983.0159 and GR1988.0166.

        Other records pertaining to Abasand Oils Limited are located in the Earl A. Smith fonds at Library and Archives Canada in Ottawa, Ontario.

        Accruals

        Further accruals are not expected.

        General note

        Information for the administrative history is taken from the records and from The Abasand Fiasco: The rise and fall of a brave pioneer Oil Sands extraction plant, which is available in the Provincial Archives of Alberta Reference Library, 622.338

        General note

        Includes accession PR1988.0470.

        Physical description

        Includes 32 blueprints, 24 negatives, 23 maps, 14 photographs, and 6 technical drawings.

        Alternative identifier(s)

        Standard number

        Standard number

        Access points

        Place access points

        Name access points

        Genre access points

        Control area

        Description record identifier

        Institution identifier

        Rules or conventions

        Status

        Level of detail

        Dates of creation, revision and deletion

        Language of description

          Script of description

            Sources

            Accession area