Fonds PR3577 - Acme United Church (1909-1998) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Acme United Church (1909-1998) fonds

General material designation

    Parallel title

    Other title information

    Title statements of responsibility

    Title notes

    • Source of title proper: The title is based on the content of the records.

    Level of description

    Fonds

    Reference code

    PR3577

    Edition area

    Edition statement

    Edition statement of responsibility

    Class of material specific details area

    Statement of scale (cartographic)

    Statement of projection (cartographic)

    Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

    Statement of scale (architectural)

    Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

    Dates of creation area

    Date(s)

    • 1909-2000 (Creation)

    Physical description area

    Physical description

    0.60 m of textual records

    Publisher's series area

    Title proper of publisher's series

    Parallel titles of publisher's series

    Other title information of publisher's series

    Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

    Numbering within publisher's series

    Note on publisher's series

    Archival description area

    Name of creator

    (1909-1998)

    Administrative history

    Acme United Church in Acme, Alberta has its origins in St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church in Acme and Acme Methodist Church. Presbyterian services were first held in Acme in 1909 in the Kiaora School. A church building was completed on August 7, 1910 and the congregation took the name of St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church. As the community grew, the church building was used as a school and worship was moved to the Methodist Church building.

    Formal unification talks began between the Presbyterian and Methodist congregations in 1914. Methodist services were first held in Acme at the Delft and Bancroft school-houses by a minister from Carstairs. In 1910 a formal congregation was established and of September 4th of the same year the church building was dedicated, with the congregation being part of the Acme Methodist Circuit. In July 1916 the Presbyterian and Methodist congregations in Acme agreed to unite into a single congregation, the Acme United Church. The Presbyterian Church building was sold and services continued in the previous Methodist Church, the site of the current Acme United Church.

    Acme United Church voted to join the newly formed United Church of Canada, a union of Methodist, Congregational, and some Presbyterian denominations, in 1925. In 1928, Acme Pastoral Charge was moved from the Calgary Presbytery to the newly formed Three Hills Presbytery. In 1938, the church building was renovated. In 1957 the old church was moved to a new site so that a new church building could be constructed. The new building was dedicated on Sunday Dec. 22, 1957.

    In 1998, Acme United Church amalgamated with Zion United Church in Beiseker, and the name Acme United Church was retained.

    Custodial history

    Records deposited under accession number PR1975.0387 were acquired sometime prior to 1975 however there is no surviving record of the details.

    Scope and content

    The fonds consists of Annual Reports (1981-1993 with gaps); Official Board minutes (1916, 1956); Board of Managers minutes (1917-1959); Board of Stewards minutes (1960-1995); Session minutes (1927-1950, 1960-1964, 1983-1995); Congregational meeting minutes (1910-1998, includes minutes for Acme United Church (1998-)); Register (Presbyterian/United) of Baptisms (1910-1911, 1917-1922), Marriages (1910-1927), and burials (1910-1927); Register (United) of Baptisms (1931-2000), Marriages (1927-2000), and Burials (1927-2000) (Includes entries for Acme United Church (1998-)); Communion Roll (1910-1958); Ladies' Aid records (1920-1933); Women's Association records (1953-1961); Women's Missionary Society records (1926-1961); United Church Women records (1962-1982); Orders of Service (1970, 1975); Newsletters (1985-1986); Pamphlet (1985).

    Notes area

    Physical condition

    Immediate source of acquisition

    In 1975, the Conference entered into a permanent loan agreement with the Provincial Archives of Alberta (PAA) for the physical custody and control of the holdings of the Conference Archives and the records were relocated to the PAA in that same year. Records received after 1975 have come from the congregation, church members, or officers of the presbytery or the Conference. Mary Davis deposited the materials constituting PR2004.0641 with the archives on behalf of Acme United Church in November 2003.

    Arrangement

    The materials have been arranged chronologically and in accordance with the congregational series arrangement plan.

    Language of material

      Script of material

        Language and script note

        The material is in English.

        Location of originals

        Availability of other formats

        Restrictions on access

        Some sacramental records are restricted. Some records are restricted for conservation purposes. Speak with the Regional Council Archivist for more information.

        Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

        Subject to the Copyright Act. Permission for use required.

        Finding aids

        Some file lists are available. Speak to a reference archivist for more information.

        Associated materials

        For additional materials please see the Acme United Church fonds (1998-) (PR3578) and Acme Pastoral Charge fonds (PR3579) in the United Church of Canada Alberta and Northwest Conference Archives, located at the Provincial Archives of Alberta.

        Accruals

        Further accruals are not expected.

        General note

        Information in the Administrative History was sourced from the fonds and the following book: [History of Churches in the Acme Area]; [1975?]; Author unknown.

        General note

        Includes accessions PR1975.0387, PR1982.0173, PR1983.0285, PR1990.0049, PR1985.0371, PR1986.0379, PR2004.0641, PR1991.0043, and PR1992.0040.

        Conservation

        The materials have suffered some fire damage. Photocopies can be viewed of originals that are restricted for conservation reasons.

        Alternative identifier(s)

        Standard number

        Standard number

        Access points

        Place access points

        Name access points

        Genre access points

        Control area

        Description record identifier

        Institution identifier

        Rules or conventions

        Status

        Level of detail

        Dates of creation, revision and deletion

        Language of description

          Script of description

            Sources

            Accession area