Showing 4827 results

Authority record
Corporate body · 1940-1945

The 100th Avenue War Service Group was formed by a group of women in Edmonton, Alberta in 1940. The purpose of the group was to raise funds and make clothing and quilts for the Red Cross Society, which distributed the items to soldiers and to civilians in England and the occupied countries in Europe during World War II.

The group executive was comprised of an honorary president, president, vice president, treasurer, secretary, convenor of the Works Committee, assistant to the convenor of the Works Committee, convenor of the Red Cross Works Committee, assistant to the convenor of the Red Cross Works Committee, and convenor of the Ways and Means Committee. The first executive members were G.I. Poole, D. Radford. W.J. Hale, R.P. Malone, A. Mclean, N.T. Miller, A.C. Emery, J.A. MacArthur, R.A. Munro, and W.B. Pitfield.

It is not known when the group was officially disbanded, but it became inactive after 1945.

19th Alberta Dragoons
Corporate body

The 19th Alberta Dragoons had its beginning on 1 December 1905 when three independent squadrons of the Canadian Mounted Rifles were organized in Alberta. These included “A” Squadron at Edmonton, “B” Squadron at Strathcona, and “C” Squadron at Fort Saskatchewan. It thus became one of the earliest militia groups in the province. A fourth squadron was established at St. Albert in 1907 and in the following year the government designated it as a four-squadron regiment named the 19th Alberta Mounted Rifles. The four squadrons then received the title of 19th Alberta Dragoons on 3 January 1911.

The 19th Alberta Dragoons and the Alberta Mounted Rifles were amalgamated on 16 February 1936 as the 19th Alberta Dragoons. On 1 April 1946, the 19th Alberta Dragoons and the 101st Regiment Edmonton Fusiliers were amalgamated and designated 19th Alberta Armoured Car Regiment (Edmonton Fusiliers). It was further designated the 19th Alberta Armoured Car Regiment on 4 February 1949, 19th Alberta Dragoons (19th Armoured Car Regiment) on 1 November 1954 and back to 19th Alberta Dragoons on 10 May 1958.

During the First World War the 19th Alberta Dragoons served in France and Flanders. During the Second World War the 19th Alberta Dragoons served in the Reserve Army.

Corporate body

The 4 Point Trucking Co-operative Limited (Ltd.) was formed in July 1963 in the Andrew, Alberta area. The membership of the association consisted of the Andrew, Lamont, St. Michael, Mundare, and Park co-operative associations.

The purpose of the association was to provide trucking services to and from member co-operatives and any other businesses for the benefit of the 4 Point Trucking Co-operative Limited, subject to the approval of the board of directors of the associations concerned. The head office of the 4 Point Trucking Co-operative Ltd. was in the offices of the Andrew Co-operative Association, and the manager of the Andrew Co-operative Association was the manager for the 4 Point Trucking Co-operative Ltd.

51st Battalion Association
Corporate body

The 51st Battalion Association was formed in September 1919 and was located in Edmonton, Alberta. The association was composed of members of the 51st Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF), which was formed circa (ca.) January 4, 1915 and served overseas during World War I. The association organized yearly reunions for the veterans.

A.E. Goodwin was the secretary-treasurer during the years 1951-1970, and A.A. Allbright was president during 1965-1968. It held a sixtieth anniversary reunion at the Montgomery Legion Branch No. 28 in Edmonton in 1975.

Abasand Oils
Corporate body · 1930-1975

In 1930, Max W. Ball and associates Basil O. Jones and James McClave established Canadian Northern Oil-Sand Products Limited to produce oil and refined products from the oil sands of the Athabasca region near Fort McMurray, Alberta. A charter was issued to Canadian Northern Oil-Sand Products by the Federal Government on September 2, 1930; the head office of the company was located in Edmonton, Alberta.

The company developed a process for the extraction of oil from the oil sands. The Canadian Northern Oil-Sand Products was renamed Abasand Oils Limited in 1935. The company built a plant on land leased from the Federal Government on the banks of the Horse River, near Fort McMurray, Alberta; the plant opened in 1936. In 1943, the Federal Government took over operations at the Abasand Oils' plant under the War Measures Act. The plant was damaged by fire in 1945. The federal government abandoned the site in May 1946, and the rights and properties were returned to the Abasand Oils. The plant did not resume operations.

In 1953, Abasand Oils subleased most of its oil sands holdings, but it was not until 1967 that it began to receive royalties. Abasand Oils became a subsidiary of Canadian Industrial Gas and Oil Limited, which dissolved in 1975.

ABC Investment Club
Corporate body

The ABC Investment Club was formed on January 26, 1965 in Edmonton, Alberta with seven founding members; Helen Diemert, Bea Grinnell, Alice Dowhaniuk, Pat George, Joyce Lampard, Betty Berry, Mary MacEachern and Glenys Lashmar.

The purposes of the club were to educate members in the fundamental principles and techniques of sound investment practice, and to enable members to invest regularly and mutually to take advantage of compound income. The club was organized with a president, vice-president, managing director and secretary and allowed only fifteen active members.

Corporate body · 1893-1958

Aberdeen School District Number (No.) 291 was formed on October 11, 1893 near Innisfail, Alberta. Specifically, it was located at Section 20, Township 35, Range 27, West of the 4th Meridian (20-35-27-W4). The first school board members included Alex McGillivary, W.L. Center, and Egerton Greer. H. A. Malcolm was hired as the first teacher and also fulfilled the duties of secretary-treasurer for the school board. In 1916 the school was moved to Section 29, Township 35, Range 27, West of the 4th Meridian (29-35-27-W4). The school was closed circa (ca.) 1957 and ministerial approval for sale of the school land to the Innisfail community was given ca. 1958.

Aberhart Memorial Sanatorium
Corporate body · 1952-1970

The Aberhart Memorial Sanatorium opened in 1952 in Edmonton, Alberta. The sanatorium treated tuberculosis patients until 1970 when management of the hospital transferred to the University of Alberta Hospital. The sanatorium offered 295 beds, and a large nurse's residence. Dr. H.H. Stephen was Medical Superintendent of the Sanatorium from 1952 to 1969.

Academic Books (Vancouver)
Corporate body

Academic Books was an antique buyer and seller of books, manuscripts, and antique maps, located in Vancouver, BC. They discussed aiming to keep historical Canadian records within Canada and sell records to Canadian archives and museums, when financially feasible to do so.

ACCESS TV
Corporate body · 1995-2011

In 1995, the Government of Alberta privatized the Alberta Educational Communications Corporation (operating as ACCESS TV) by selling it to Learning and Skills Television of Alberta Limited (LTA), 60% of which was owned by CHUM Limited. Following a public hearing in April 1995, LTA was granted a full CRTC seven year broadcast license and introduced the new ACCESS television on 1 September 1995.

In February 2005, CHUM Limited acquired the remaining 40% interest in LTA, giving the company 100% of its shares including ACCESS. At that time, LTA began operating under the trade name “access media group.”

On 12 July 2006, CTVglobemedia Ltd. announced that it would make a friendly takeover bid to buy CHUM Limited, including ACCESS. This was finalized on 22 June 2007.

A new three-year agreement between LTA and Alberta Education and Advanced Education was signed on 1 April 2008. Under the agreement, ACCESS continued to broadcast and distribute programming for Alberta Education and Advanced Education.

On 29 August 2011, Access was relaunched by CTVglobemedia as CTV Two Alberta. CTV Two is mandated to “combine the best in entertainment programming in the evenings with a daytime broadcast schedule dedicated to commercial-free kid's programming and series designed to support K-12 and post-secondary courses of study.”

Corporate body

Les associations régionales de l'ACFA furent formées en 1961, ayant à l'origine l'organisation régionale des paroisses francophones. L'association de Bonnyville/Cold Lake fut incorporée au niveau provincial en 1977.

ACFA régionale de Calgary
Corporate body

Les associations régionales de l'ACFA furent formées en 1961, ayant à l'origine l'organisation régionale des paroisses francophones. Avant d'être incorporée en 1983, l'ACFA régionale de Calgary eut comme prédécesseurs la Société franco-canadienne de Calgary et, à partir de 1971, le Conseil régionale ACFA de Calgary.

Corporate body

The regional associations of the ACFA were formed in 1961, consolidating the previous regional organizations based on parish associations.

ACFA régionale de Centralta
Corporate body

L'Association Centralta de ACFA fut initialement un comité social culturel francophone, dont la première réunion eut lieu en janvier 1975 chez Mme Simone Chauvet à Legal. Germain Fortier fut élu président, Simone Chauvet, vice-présidente et Marthe Hériveau, secrétaire-trésorière. Le but de l'association fut d'organiser, coordonner et développer des activités sociales et culturelles pour les francophones dans les communautés de Morrinville, Legal et Vimy. La nouvelle association fut incorporée sous le nom d'ACFA en 1977.

ACFA régionale de Centralta
Corporate body

The Centralta association of the ACFA was created in 1975 at the house of Madame Simone Chauvet in Legal. Originally created to serve the communities of Morinville, Legal and Vimy, the association was intended to organize, coordinate and develop cultural and social activities for francophones in the region. The new association was incorporated under the ACFA's name in 1977 in order to secure better funding from Provincial and Federal granting agencies. Since then, the association has worked to provide better access to cultural activities and services for the local French community.

Corporate body

The regional associations of the ACFA were formed in 1961, consolidating the previous organizations based on parish association.

Corporate body

Des associations régionales de l'ACFA furent formées en 1961, ayant à l'origine l'organisation régionale des paroisses francophones. L'ACFA régionale de Grande Prairie, précédée par le Cercle régional de Grande Prairie, obtint son incorporation légale en janvier 2000.

ACFA régionale de Jasper
Corporate body

Des associations régionales de l'ACFA furent formées en 1961, ayant à l'origine l'organisation régionale des paroisses francophones. L'ACFA régionale de Jasper obtint son incorporation légale en 2005.

ACFA regionale de Jasper
Corporate body

The regional associations of the ACFA were formed in 1961, consolidating the previous organizations based on parish association.

Corporate body

Des associations régionales de l'ACFA furent formées en 1961, ayant à l'origine l'organisation régionale des paroisses francophones. L'ACFA régionale de Lethbridge / Medicine Hat obtint son incorporation légale en 1978.

Corporate body

Des associations régionales de l'ACFA furent formées en 1961, ayant à l'origine l'organisation régionale des paroisses francophones. L'association régionale de Plamondon/Lac-la-Biche fut incorporée en 1979.

ACFA régionale de Red Deer
Corporate body

Les premières associations régionales de l'ACFA furent formées en 1961, ayant à l'origine l'organisation régionale des paroisses francophones.

Le Cercle local de l'Association canadienne-française de l'Alberta, région de Red Deer fut incorporé le 28 mai 1999 sous la charte attribuée à l'ACFA provinciale. Le Cercle cherchait à représenter et à regrouper tous les francophones résidents sur le territoire de Red Deer et de la région. En novembre 2004 l'Assemblée générale annuelle du cercle a adopté le changement de statut et de nom en l'Association canadienne-française de l'Alberta, Régionale de Red Deer.

ACFA régionale de Red Deer
Corporate body

The first regional associations of the ACFA were formed in 1961, consolidating the previous organization based on parish association. The Cercle local de l'Association canadienne-française de l'Alberta, région de Red Deer was incorporated on May 28, 1999, under the chart of the provincial ACFA. The Cercle aimed to represent and regroup all the Francophones residing in Red Deer and region. In November 2004, the annual general assembly voted for the change of name and status as Association canadienne-française de l'Alberta, Régionale de Red Deer.

Corporate body

ACFA's first Regional Cultural Committee in Peace River started its activities in 1973-1974. The regional association of Rivière-la-Paix was incorporated under ACFA's provincial statute on July 28, 1977.

The regional branch of ACFA offers social and cultural activities to the Francopones of the region, including entertainment shows in French and family-oriented activities; it also works closely with providers of daycare, health and cultural services. The association looks to amplify the Francophone presence in various regional initiatives and to emphasize sustainable projects and activities focused on family and youth that will guarantee the community development in the long term. Through its community FM station, CKRP Radio Rivière-la-Paix, the regional ACFA is able to ensure better communication with its partners and to provide support to other Francophone associations and committees.

Having its headquarters in Falher, the association serves a wide territory including municipalities like Peace River, St. Isidore, Marie-Reine, Jean-Côté, Donnelly, Girouxville, McLennan and Tangent. Together, the region hosts about 5000 Francophones and more than 3000 Francophiles. The regional ACFA manages an employment resource centre, a community radio station, and the Community Access Program (CAP/PAC).

Corporate body

Le premier Comité culturel régional de l'ACFA à Rivière-la-Paix fut formé en 1973-1974. L'ACFA régionale de Rivière-la-Paix a été incorporée le 28 juillet 1977 sous la Charte attribuée à l'Association canadienne-française de l'Alberta (ACFA).

ACFA Rivière-la-Paix offre des activités sociales et culturelles aux francophones de sa région, telles que des spectacles en français et des activités orientées vers la famille, et assure une collaboration continue avec les différents secteurs tels que la petite enfance, la santé et la culture. L'organisme cherche aussi à accroître la présence francophone dans les divers regroupements de la région et à mettre l'accent sur la réalisation d'activités et de projets durables, axés sur la famille et la jeunesse, pour assurer le développement à long terme de la communauté. Par l'entremise de la radio communautaire CKRP-FM, l'ACFA régionale a le moyen d'assurer une meilleure communication entre ses divers partenaires et poursuit son appui aux associations francophones et comités existants.

Située dans la ville de Falher, l'ACFA régionale rend service à un vaste territoire qui comprend, outre Falher, de nombreuses municipalités francophones et francophiles dont Peace River, Saint-Isidore, Marie-Reine, Jean-Côté, Donnelly, Girouxville, McLennan, et Tangent. Ensemble, les régions comportent un bassin de plus ou moins 5000 francophones et plus de 3000 francophiles. ACFA régionale gère un centre de ressource à l'emploi, une radio communautaire (lancée en octobre 1996), et le Programme d'accès communautaire (PAC).

Corporate body

The regional associations of the ACFA were formed in 1961, consolidating the previous organizations based on parish association. The regional association of Saint-Paul was incorporated under provincial statute in 1973.

Corporate body

Des associations régionales de l'ACFA furent formées en 1961, ayant à l'origine l'organisation régionale des paroisses francophones. L'association de Saint-Paul obtint son incorporation légale en 1973.

Corporate body

Des associations régionales de l'ACFA furent formées en 1961, ayant à l'origine l'organisation régionale des paroisses francophones. L'association de Wood Buffalo obtint son incorporation légale en 1980.

Corporate body

The regional associations of the ACFA were formed in 1961, consolidating the previous organizations based on parish association. The regional association of Wood Buffalo was incorporated under provincial statute in 1980.

ACFA régionale d'Edmonton
Corporate body

Les associations régionales de l'ACFA, incluant la régionale d'Edmonton, furent formées en 1961, ayant à l'origine l'organisation régionale des paroisses francophones. L'ACFA régionale d'Edmonton, précédée par le Cercle régional d'Edmonton d'ACFA, obtint son incorporation légale le 28 juillet 1977.

ACFA régionale d'Edmonton
Corporate body

The regional associations of the ACFA were formed in 1961, consolidating the previous organizations based on parish association.

Corporate body

The regional associations of the ACFA were formed in 1961, consolidating the previous organizations based on parish association. Provisional associations are created before they are incorporated under provincial statute as full regional associations.

Corporate body

Des associations régionales de l'ACFA furent formées en 1961, ayant à l'origine l'organisation régionale des paroisses francophones. Les associations provisoires sont crées avant leur incorporation sous statut provincial comme associations régionales.

Corporate body

The regional associations of the ACFA were formed in 1961, consolidating the previous organizations based on parish association. The Bonnyville/Cold Lake branch was officially incorporated under Provincial statute in 1977.

Corporate body · 1909-1998

Acme United Church in Acme, Alberta has its origins in St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church in Acme and Acme Methodist Church. Presbyterian services were first held in Acme in 1909 in the Kiaora School. A church building was completed on August 7, 1910 and the congregation took the name of St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church. As the community grew, the church building was used as a school and worship was moved to the Methodist Church building.

Formal unification talks began between the Presbyterian and Methodist congregations in 1914. Methodist services were first held in Acme at the Delft and Bancroft school-houses by a minister from Carstairs. In 1910 a formal congregation was established and of September 4th of the same year the church building was dedicated, with the congregation being part of the Acme Methodist Circuit. In July 1916 the Presbyterian and Methodist congregations in Acme agreed to unite into a single congregation, the Acme United Church. The Presbyterian Church building was sold and services continued in the previous Methodist Church, the site of the current Acme United Church.

Acme United Church voted to join the newly formed United Church of Canada, a union of Methodist, Congregational, and some Presbyterian denominations, in 1925. In 1928, Acme Pastoral Charge was moved from the Calgary Presbytery to the newly formed Three Hills Presbytery. In 1938, the church building was renovated. In 1957 the old church was moved to a new site so that a new church building could be constructed. The new building was dedicated on Sunday Dec. 22, 1957.

In 1998, Acme United Church amalgamated with Zion United Church in Beiseker, and the name Acme United Church was retained.

Acme United Church (1998-)
Corporate body · 1998-

In 1998, Acme United Church (1909-1998) in Acme, Alberta amalgamated with Zion United Church in Beiseker, Alberta under the name Acme United Church. Services continue to be held in the previous church building of Acme United Church.

It is part of the Acme Pastoral Charge and located in the Foothills Presbytery.

Acute and Long Term Care
Corporate body

The function of the Acute and Long Term Care Division was to provide global funding to 124 acute care hospitals and 137 long term care facilities, and to plan, develop, and fund programs delivered by hospitals, long-term care facilities, and emergency health services. Established in 1992 from a predecessor body, it was replaced in 1994 in a major departmental reorganization resulting from a major shift in governmental philosophy regarding the delivery of health care to Albertans. The Division during its short life was responsible to administer a number of acts and regulations, the most significant of which was the Hospitals Act. Divisional predecessors were known as: Hospitals Branch (1922-1927); Hospitals, Charity and Relief Branch (1927-1930); Hospitals Division (1930-1946); Hospital and Medical Services Division (1947-1956), Hospitals Division (1956-67), Hospital Services Section (1967-1971), Hospital Services Commission (1971-1978), Hospital Planning and Operations Division (1979), and lastly, the Hospital Services Division (1979-1992). In its final year of operation (1993) the Acute and Long Term Care Division was composed of four main branches: Hospital Services Branch, Long Term Care Branch, Specialty Services Branch, and Emergency Health Services Branch.

Advanced Education
Corporate body

Dates of founding and/or dissolution:
The Department of Advanced Education was first founded in September 1971 through the passage of Order in Council 1614/71 under the Public Service Administrative Transfers Act, 1971, which transferred administration of the Colleges Act and the Universities Act to the Minister of Advanced Education. Formal creation of the department occurred on June 2, 1972 with the passage and proclamation of the Department of Advanced Education Act. The department was dissolved in 1975 through the passage of the Department of Advanced Education Amendment Act.
In 1983, the Department of Advanced Education was recreated through the enactment and proclamation of the Department of Advanced Education Act , 1983. The department was dissolved again in December 1992, when its responsibilities were transferred through Order in Council 749/92 to the new Department of Advanced Education and Career Development.
In 2004, the Department of Advanced Education was founded by means of Order in Council 552/2004 under the Authority of the Government Organization Act (R.S.A., Chapter G-10, 2000). The department was dissolved again on December 15, 2006 and its responsibilities were transferred through Order in Council 636/2006 to the new Ministry of Advanced Education and Technology.

Functional responsibility:
The principal functional responsibilities of the department were the planning, administration, and operation of the entire post-secondary education system in Alberta, including programs delivered through universities, colleges, and technical, agricultural and vocational institutions. The Minister was responsible for the administration of the following acts and their regulations: 19. Alberta Centennial Education Savings Plan Act

  1. Alberta Heritage Scholarship Act
  2. Apprenticeship and Industry Training Act
  3. Banff Centre Act
  4. Colleges Act
  5. Department of Advanced Education Act
  6. Education of Service Men's Children's Act
  7. Post-secondary Learning Act (except sections 66(2) and (3), 67, 72(3) and (4), 73, 80 and 99(1)(a) and (2) to (6))
  8. Private Vocational Schools Act
  9. Students Loan Guarantee Act
  10. Students Finance Act
  11. Student Financial Assistance Act
  12. Technical Institutes Act
  13. Trade Schools Regulation Act
  14. Universities Act
  15. Universities Foundations Act

Predecessor and successor bodies:
Before the creation of the Department of Advanced Education, responsibility for delivery of adult agricultural and vocational education was held by the Department of Agriculture, by way of the Agricultural and Vocational Colleges Act , 1967. Responsibility for adult education delivered through universities, colleges, and technical institutes was held by the Department of Education, through the Department of Education Act.
In 1975, responsibility for planning, administration and operation of the post-secondary education system was transferred to the new Department of Advanced Education and Manpower, through administrative transfers formalized through Orders in Council 0140/83 and 0285/83.
In 1983, post-secondary education and manpower functions were split into two departments again, through the recreation of the Department of Advanced Education and the creation of the Department of Manpower.
In December 1992, responsibility for the post-secondary education system in Alberta was transferred to the new Department of Advanced Education and Career Development through administrative transfers formalized through Order in Council 749/92. The Department was dissolved in 1999 and its functions were divided between Alberta Learning and Alberta Human Resources and Employment.
In November 2004, responsibility for the post-secondary education system was transferred to the Department of Advanced Education from the former Ministry of Learning. The Department of Advanced Education was succeeded in 2006 by the Ministry of Advanced Education and Technology.

Administrative relationships:
The Department of Advanced Education reported to the Legislative Assembly through the Minister of Advanced Education. The Minister also passed to the Legislative Assembly the annual reports of semi-independent agencies that reported to him:

  1. Universities Commission (1972-1973)
  2. Colleges Commission (1972-1973)
  3. Students' Finance Board (1972-1975, 1986-1992, 2004-2006)
  4. Private Vocational Schools Advisory Council (1983-1992, 2004-2006)
  5. Private Colleges Accreditation Board (1984-1992)
  6. University of Calgary Foundation (1991-1992)
  7. University of Alberta 1991 Foundation (1991-1992)
  8. University of Lethbridge Foundation (1991-1992)
  9. Athabasca University Foundation (1991-1992)
  10. Apprenticeship and Industry Training Board (2004-2006)
  11. Campus Alberta Quality Council (2004-2006)

Administrative structure:
The structure of the department when it was first formed was hierarchical. The principal components of the department were various divisions, each in turn made up of a number of branches. Three semi-independent agencies, the Students' Finance Board, the Universities Commission and the Colleges Commission, reported directly to the Minister of Advanced Education. The Communications and Personnel offices reported directly to the Deputy Minister. Provincially Administered Institutions functioned as divisions of the Department. Their presidents reported directly to the Deputy Minister, who acted in the role of Board of Directors for these institutions. Provincially Administered Institutions included the Alberta Vocational Centres (former agricultural colleges) and, until April 1982, Alberta's three Technical Institutes. In 1982, the three Technical Institutes became Board-governed institutions akin to public colleges and universities. Significant reorganizations of the Department took place in 1973, 1985, 1986, and 1988.
In the first two years of the department, the different divisions were Continuing Education, Regional Colleges (agricultural colleges), Vocational Education, and Other Services. These divisions had been transferred from predecessor agencies when the department was created, and were all eliminated with the first departmental reorganization in 1973. With reorganization, the department's divisions reflected general departmental functions, such as administration, planning, program delivery, and policy development. The principal functions of the department were performed by the following units:

  1. Administration and support functions: performed by the Other Services Division (1972-1975), Administrative Services Division (1973-1975 and 1983-1988), and Department Services Division (1988-1992)

  2. System planning: Special Services Division (1973-1975) and Planning, Research and Organizational Analysis Division (1985-1986)

  3. Program planning, development, coordination and delivery, and development of campus facilities: Program Services Division (1973-1975 and1983-1988), Field Services Division (1983-1988), and Operations Division (1988-1992)

  4. Administration of Provincially Administered Institutions: Division of Vocational Education (1972-1973), Regional Colleges Division (1972-1973), Provincially Administered Institutions Services Branch (1973-1975), Financial Planning Branch (1973-1975, 1983-1986), Operations and Planning Branch (1986-1988), Operating and Endowment Support Branch (1988-1992)

  5. Policy development and evaluation of programs to ensure that they conform to provincial and departmental policies: Policy and Planning Division (1988-1992)

  6. Student support: Special Services Division (1973-1975)
    When the Department was recreated in 2004, the principal components of the Department were as follows:

  7. Adult Learning Division: responsible for working with adult learners, public and private post-secondary institutions, and community adult learning councils to support learners, provide learning opportunities and enhance the adult learning system

  8. Apprenticeship and Industry Training Division: responsible for working with industry, employer and employee organizations, technical training providers, government and ministry divisions to support the development, maintenance and delivery of designated trade and occupation programs

  9. Strategic Corporate Services Division: responsible for providing strategic, legal, system-wide planning, financial, information management and technology, international education, intergovernmental issues and policy management, and human resource services for the Ministry

  10. Communications: responsible for working with the ministry and stakeholders to provide communications support related to ministry work.

Names of chief officers:
Ministers of Advanced Education:
James L. Foster 1972-1975
Dick Johnston 1983-1986
David J. Russell 1986-1989
John Gogo 1989-1992
Jack W. Ady 1992
David Hancock 2004-2006
Denis Herard 2006

Corporate body · 1993-

The Agriculture Financial Services Corporation (AFSC) was established in 1993 and began operation on March 31, 1994, when the Agriculture Financial Services Act was proclaimed in force (S.A. 1993, C. A-12.5). The corporation was created by the merging of the Alberta Agricultural Development Corporation and the Alberta Hail and Crop Insurance Corporation. It merged with the Alberta Opportunity Company in 2002.

The Corporation provides Alberta farmers with crop insurance, livestock price insurance, farm loans, commercial loans and farm income disaster assistance.

Air Cadet League of Canada
Corporate body

The Air Cadet League of Canada was founded on November 11, 1940, by the passage of Order-in-Council PC 6647. The organization was formed in response to the shortage of trained military personnel at the beginning of the Second World War. A Civilian organization, working in a partnership with the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF), they provided flight and other training for underage individuals prior to their eligibility for military service. The Air Cadet League of Canada was granted a Dominion Charter to operate as a charitable, non-profit corporation on April 9, 1941.

Corporate body · 1994-2006

The Airdrie Chinook Winds Ball Park Association (ACWBPA) was a not-for-profit association that raised money to build a baseball park in Airdrie, Alberta.

The ACWBPA was formed in 1994 and became incorporated on 15 June 1995 under the Alberta Societies Act. The objective of the association was to construct four class “A” tournament ball diamonds on a portion of the land acquired for recreation facility development by the Airdrie & District Agricultural Society in 1994.

The ACWBPA was a volunteer-run group, with a president, treasurer and eight board members at their incorporation in 1995. Later years saw the association's board diminish to three to four active members. The association's first president was Paul Bailey, who stepped down from the role in February 1997 to be replaced by Dennis Driscoll, a local real estate agent.

The initial vision for the ball park was to be a site for adult ball players in the community. At the time of the ACWBPA's formation, Airdrie had one dedicated ball park, Fletcher's Field. Association members felt that adults in the community deserved a designated space to play ball, and that youth in the community would benefit from having exclusive access to the existing fields in Airdrie.

The construction of the ball diamonds was approved by the City of Airdrie in 1996 after the City received an infrastructure grant from both the federal and provincial governments to develop recreational facilities on a 1/3 cost sharing basis (1/3 federal monies, 1/3 provincial money and 1/3 municipal money). This municipal 1/3 (approximately $158 000) was to be provided by a user group, the ACWBPA. The ACWBPA agreed to participate, and received a loan from the City of Airdrie for the municipal government portion of the grant. The ACWBPA committed to a five-year repayment plan to the City.

Money to repay the loan would come from four primary sources: grants from the Alberta Community Lottery Board, received between 1998 and 2002, income from the Association's charitable gaming license, team membership registration fees, and general fundraising through dances and community advertising rentals on the fields.

The Chinook Winds Ball Park playing fields were opened in May 1999. The concession and washroom facilities for the park were completed in 2002. The ACWBPA closed their accounts with the Royal Bank in 2006, donating the remaining funds to nonprofits in the Airdrie community.

Airdrie United Church
Corporate body · 1925-

Located north of Calgary, Airdrie originated as a Methodist congregation. Methodist student ministers travelled through the area and offered services as early as the 1890s in homes and then the CPR station. Originally part of the Carstairs mission field, Methodists in Airdrie completed a church building in 1903. In 1905, they received their first ordained minister and the Ladies Aid furnished a manse. The Methodist Church also had a barn.

Presbyterian minister Rev. Herdman of Calgary began visiting Airdrie in 1904 with services held in the Methodist church. A new church was built in 1921 and made available to all other denominations. It served as the community hall until 1944. The sanctuary seated 230 and the basement was used for Sunday School and other groups. That building is now at the end of its lifespan.

In 1925, the Methodist and Presbyterian congregations united as part of the new United Church of Canada.

During World War II, Airdrie served as a Commonwealth Training Base and the church supported and offered socialization opportunities to the airmen. As a thank you, the airmen contributed to provide a new communion table as a thank you.

The church may be the only United Church with its own cattle brand. “According to Dan McKinnon, a retired rancher and old-time church member, cattle were an important income source for the pioneer church, which is older than Airdrie itself. The church bought feedlot calves from members who had cattle, and several farmers fed them for the church.” (Calgary Herald, April 14, 2017)

As of 2018, Airdrie United Church is a congregation in the Foothills Presbytery of Alberta and Northwest Conference of the United Church of Canada. Until 1963, it was part of Calgary Presbytery.

Airworks Media
Corporate body · 1974-1994

Airworks was a well-known commercial studio in the Edmonton area. It was known previously as Machine Shop Studio, Goede Studio and Goede Creative, and was in operation from 1974 to 1994.

Its clients included a wide range of businesses and non-profit organizations who were provided with commercials, audio-visual promotional material and audio-visual training programs. Clients included those such as Travel Alberta, Alberta Motor Association, Edmonton Law Enforcement Games, Edmonton Symphony Orchestra, Trans-Alta Utilities, Kentucky Fried Chicken and Louie's Submarines.

Corporate body · 1912-1925

Albany Avenue Methodist Church was established in 1912 in the area of 110 Avenue and 128 Street in Edmonton, Alberta.

In 1925 the congregation joined the United Church of Canada, a union of Methodist, Presbyterian, and Congregational denominations and it was re-constituted as Westmount United Church. It was re-named Westminster United Church in 1956. Westminster United Church amalgamated with Kirk United Church in April, 1991.

Corporate body · 1927-1933

In 1927, Premier John Brownlee appointed former premier Herbert Greenfield as Alberta's Agent-General in London. The position involved the promotion of emigration to Alberta as well as the expansion of trade and business opportunities. After Greenfield resigned in 1931, his private secretary Hugh Baker continued as the acting Agent-General until the office was officially closed in 1933.

Corporate body · 1979-1981

Although Robert W. (Bob) Dowling had been appointed Commissioner by Order in Council (O.C.) 400/79 on May 2, 1979, the Executive Council formally established the mandate and terms of reference for the Alberta 75th Anniversary Commission on July 10, 1979. The Commission disbanded on March 31, 1981.

Corporate body · 1971-1975

Community Vocational Centres was established in 1971. Run by advisory boards, they were satellite facilities of the Alberta Vocational Centre (Grouard) that offered basic training and educational upgrading in small northern communities. It transferred to Advanced Education and Manpower in 1975.

Corporate body · 1971-1975

When the Department of Advanced Education assumed responsibility for Fairview Agricultural and Vocational College in 1971, the institution changed its name to Fairview College. It transferred to Advanced Education and Manpower in 1975.

Corporate body · 1971-1975

The Department of Advanced Education was founded in September 1971 by Order in Council 1614/1971 under the Public Service Administrative Transfers Act, 1971. This order transferred administration of the Colleges Act and the Universities Act to the Minister of Advanced Education. Formal creation of the department occurred on June 2, 1972 by the Department of Advanced Education Act (S.A. 1972, c. 28). The passage of the Department of Advanced Education Amendment Act dissolved the department on June 25, 1975 (S.A.1975, c. 7).

Corporate body · 1971-1975

When the Department of Advanced Education assumed responsibility for Olds Agricultural and Vocational College in 1971, the institution changed its name to Olds College. It transferred to Advanced Education and Manpower in 1975.

Corporate body · 1971-1975

When the Department of Advanced Education assumed responsibility for Vermilion Agricultural and Vocational College in 1971, the institution changed its name to Vermilion College. In 1975, the institution was transferred to Advanced Education and Manpower.