Showing 24 results

Authority record
Other

Dates of Founding and/or Dissolution:
Alberta Heritage Savings Trust Fund was established in 1976.

Functional Responsibility: The Alberta Heritage Savings Trust Fund Act (S.A. Chapter 2, 1976) created Alberta Heritage Savings Trust Fund in recognition that the resource supply is limited and revenue must eventually decline. The investment earning and the capital of the Fund would provide an alternative source of revenue to help finance government services. The immediate benefit of the Fund was that its investments provided the opportunity and resources needed to strengthen and diversify Alberta's economy.
The Fund began with a grant of $1.5 billion from the General Revenue Fund, and thirty per cent of the tax revenue collected from natural resources. In 1983, during a recession, the investment earnings of the Fund were transferred into the General Revenue Fund. In 1984 the percentage of revenue diverted to the Fund was cut to fifteen, and in 1987 the revenues were capped with no new money entering the Fund. On the Alberta Heritage Savings Trust Fund's 25th anniversary in 2001 the Fund was valued at $12.46 billion.

Administrative Relationships:
The Provincial Treasurer had responsibility for the Funds investments. The Provincial Treasurer was required to report on the performance of the Fund quarterly and make public the annual report at the end of the fiscal year. The Alberta Heritage Savings Trust Fund Act (S.A. Chapter 2, 1976) was administered by Alberta Treasury from 1976 until the dissolution of the Department in 2001. In 2001, the Alberta Heritage Trust Fund was transferred to the jurisdiction of Alberta Finance (A.R. 44/2001) and then to Alberta Revenue giving the Minister of Revenue responsibility for the Fund ( A.R. 140/2001).
The Standing Committee on the Alberta Heritage Savings Trust Fund reviews and approves the business plan and annual report of the Fund. The Standing Committee has representation from the major parties of the Legislature. The Standing Committee receives regular reports on the performance of the Fund and conducts public meetings on an annual basis in different locations in the Province. The purpose of the meetings serves to update Albertans on the management of the Fund and to solicit input from Albertans on the Fund's objectives.

Administrative Structure:
Under Alberta Treasury, Finance Planning and Analysis was responsible for coordinating Treasury's planning and policy analysis for the Alberta Heritage Savings Trust Fund that include: reviewing potential investments where government support or investment was considered; analyzing and providing recommendations on capital budgets, program initiatives and financing requirements of Crown corporations; providing analysis on various financial issues and recommending alternatives to integrate the economic and financial policies of the Government of Alberta; and preparing quarterly and annual reports for the Alberta Heritage Savings Trust Fund. The Investment manager for the Fund was Alberta Treasury's Investment Management Division.
In 1997, the Heritage Fund was re-structured to reflect Albertans' wishes. It was divided into two distinct portfolios: the Transition Portfolio to meet immediate fiscal needs, and the Endowment Portfolio to maximize long-term investments. All assets were transferred to the Endowment Portfolio in 2002.
Under Alberta Revenue the following group or individuals are responsible for management of Alberta Heritage Savings Trust Fund: the Alberta Heritage Savings Trust Fund Standing Committee; the Investment Operations Committee; the Alberta Heritage Savings Trust Fund Secretary; the Alberta Heritage Savings Trust Fund Manager; and the Auditor General of Alberta who acts as Auditor for the Funds.

Names of Chief Officers:
Ministers responsible for the administration of the Alberta Heritage Savings Trust Fund Act:
Clarence M. Leitch 1975-1979
Louis D. Hyndman 1979-1986
Archibald D. Johnston 1986-1992
James F. Dinning 1992-1997
Stockwell B. Day 1997-2000
Stephen C. West 2000-2001
Greg Melchin 2001-2004
Shirley McClellan 2004-[2007]

Other

The Alberta Playwriting Competition is the longest running playwriting contest in Alberta. The Alberta Playwrights Network currently sponsors the competition, and offers the largest cash prize in the country. The Alberta Playwrights Network awards the winner of the Full Length Competition $3,500, and the winner of the Discovery Category $1,500. Full length submissions must meet a 75 minute time requirement, and the Discovery Category only accepts submissions from writers who have not had more than two plays performed.

Alberta School Broadcasts
Other

School Broadcasts first aired in Canada in 1927. These broadcasts were meant to supplement school classes. Before the formation of Canadian Broadcasting Company (CBC), private radio stations throughout Canada aired school broadcasts. After 1936, CBC and the Department of Education, Government of Alberta coordinated to produce broadcasts. CBC provided the facilities and the resources, while the Department of Education provided the content for the broadcast. In 1937, music first became part of broadcasts in Alberta when CJOC in Lethbridge instituted a sing-along. In 1941, Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba formed a broadcasting cooperative to continue school broadcasts. In 1980, the Alberta Education Communications Corporation, working in consultation with provincial departments of education, assumed responsibility for broadcasts.

Arrowhead Programme
Other

The Arrowhead Programme was part of the federal Youth Job Corps Program.

Other

In 1982, the Calgary Bar Association, with partial funding from the Alberta Law Foundation, sponsored an oral history project to record some of the legal history of southern Alberta. The Honourable William McGillivray, former Chief Justice of Alberta, suggested the project in order to preserve the remembrances and reminiscences of the senior members of southern Alberta's Bar and Bench.

The aim of the project was to interview these senior members about their careers and their contemporaries. Susie Sparks was director and primary interviewer for the project.

Cochrane Ranch House
Other

The Hooves of History Cattle Drive occurred in 1990. The drive reenacted the Cattle Drive of 1881 at the Cochrane Ranch. The Drive raised money for the Western Heritage Centre, now known as the Cochrane Ranch House.

Doherty family reunion
Other

On August 25, 1884, William John Doherty, who was born January 1, 1863 in Belfast, Northern Ireland, married Catherine Johnston, who was born in 1861 also in Belfast. William left for Canada from Londonderry on April 27, 1889; Catherine and their four children soon followed. The family settled in Bowden, North-West Territories, homesteading the northwest quarter of Section 16, Township 34, Range 1, West of the 5th Meridian (16-34-1-W5). William was a stonemason, and worked on many buildings in the Bowden and Calgary areas. Catherine died February 7, 1935 in Napa, California and William died October 24, 1939 in Nelson, British Columbia.

The children of William and Catherine included: Ruth (Dickinson, Drew) (1885-1974), George (1886-1970), Kathleen (Kate) (MacKay) (1888-1967), William John (1888-1941), James Henry (1891-1916) (first child born in Canada), Eliza (Lizzie) (Olsen) (1892-1930) (first child born in Bowden), Theresa (Felton) (1894-1966), Mabel (Monden) (1895-1975), Margaret (Lambert) (1897-1989), Johnston Gill (1898-1899), Mary Ann (Hughes) (1900-1974), Robert Timothy (1901-1988), and Isabella (Belle) (Forbes, Brunk) (1903-1948).

Barrie J. Hughes, the youngest son of Mary Ann (Doherty) Hughes, started researching the Doherty family history in 1958, and the first family reunion was soon held in Ferintosh, Alberta. Subsequent reunions were held in Bowden in 1975, 1985 and 1989, the last for the family's 100th anniversary of arriving in Canada. This Centenary Reunion was held in Bowden from July 14 to 16, 1989.

Edmonton Official Gazette
Other

On March 19, 1914, the City of Edmonton published the first edition of the Edmonton Official Gazette. The Gazette provided information on the role and activities of the various city departments as well as an account of the deliberations of the City Council and its Commissioners. The Gazette appeared weekly until July 9, 1914 when it ceased publication.

Edmonton's Capital Ex
Other

The Edmonton Agricultural Society organized the first local exhibition on the original Fort Edmonton Site on October 15, 1879. It was the first exhibition held in the North West Territories and showcased livestock, grain, vegetables, and other locally produced materials. The fair would be moved from Fort Edmonton to Rossdale Flats (now Telus Field) in 1899, and the first summer fair held in 1901.

In 1910 the fair was held for the first time at the current Northlands Park site, formerly known as Kirkness Lake. The Edmonton Gardens livestock building, the largest exhibition facility in Canada at the time, was added to the fair site in 1913. The exhibition would continue to be held during both the First and Second World Wars, although the Edmonton Exhibition Association made the facilities available to the armed forces, the army from 1915-1918 and the Air Force from 1940-1945. The first annual rodeo was held in conjunction with the fair in 1950, and the annual parade, started in 1903 but discontinued in the 1930s and 40s, was revived.

In 1962 the exhibition would adopt a theme based on the gold rush and the fair changed its name to Klondike Days. The first legal Casino in Canada, the Klondike Days Casino, was established on the fair site in 1967. In 1995 Professional Chuckwagon racing was reintroduced to the event after a 42 year absence. Klondike Days was renamed and re-themed again in 2006 to Edmonton's Capital Ex.

The current incarnation of the event still features agricultural exhibits, as well as chuckwagon racing, a midway, concerts, and other entertainment.

Other

Fort Battleford National Historic Park showcases the role of the North West Mounted Police in the Canadian West. The Fort was established in 1876 and abandoned in 1924. The federally operated Historic Park now welcomes visitors to view five original buildings, four with period furniture. The stockades and bastions are reconstructed, and the barracks has an interpretive display.

Greater Edmonton Crusade
Other · 1968

In 1968, the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association (BGEA) held a "crusade" in Edmonton, Alberta.

Other · 1967

The History of the Canadian West Centennial Conference was held in Banff, Alberta from May 18-21, 1967. The conference was jointly organized by the Historical Society of Alberta, the Alberta Teachers Association, and the University of Alberta's Department of History and Department of Extension and designed to bring forward new historical studies to aid the teaching of history at schools and universities.

Other

The Keg River Community Library History Project began in 1991 when members of the community decided to write a local history on the Keg River area of Alberta. The Project published Way Out Here: History of Carcajou, Chinchaga, Keg River, Paddle Prairie, Twin Lakes in 1994.

Other · 1908-1963

Although the Provincial Library (or the Library of the Legislature) was established in 1906, the Provincial Library Archives (known initially as the Bureau of Archives) was established in 1908 to preserve all that could be found of the early records and unwritten history of this section of Canada, as well as to preserve all records of current history in the Province. Katherine Hughes, a library employee, was Alberta's first Provincial Archivist and she undertook considerable work laying the foundations for the Provincial Library Archives Program.

The records were initially classified into the following periods: First Period of Regular Trading and Exploration (1775-1821), the Dawn of Settlement (1821-1869), the Foundation Period (1869-1885), the Period of Evolution of Constitutional Government (1885-1905), and Present Day Period (1905-). Hughes was seconded to the Premier's Office in 1909, and the Legislature Librarian assumed responsibility for the program. Sir Cecil Denny served Assistant Provincial Archivist from 1922-1927.

The Provincial Library Archives Program continued until 1963, when a Provincial Archivist was appointed and a Provincial Archives was formally established under the Provincial Archives Act (S.A. 1966, chapter 73). Following the Legislative Library Operations Review, the Provincial Library was reorganized, and its name was changed to Legislature Library. As a result of this review, in April 1974, Alan Ridge, the Provincial Archivist, and D.B. McDougall, Legislature Librarian, developed a plan to transfer the Legislature Library's archival records to the Provincial Archives of Alberta.

Local Authorities Board
Other

Dates of Founding and/or Dissolution:
The Local Authorities Board Act established the Local Authorities Board on July 1, 1961 (S.A. 1961, c. 46). The Municipal Government Act repealed the enabling legislation on January 1, 1995 (S.A. 1994, c. M-26.1).

Functional Responsibility:
The Local Authorities Board was created to assume some of the functions of the Public Utilities Board. In addition to the Local Authorities Board Act, numerous sections within the Municipal Government Act required the approval of the board. There were also several sections within the Municipal Taxation Act, Municipal Tax Exemption Act, New Towns Act, School Act, Planning Act, County Act, Clean Water Act, Irrigation Act, Hospital Act, and Tax Recovery Act that fell under the jurisdiction of the board. The Local Authorities Board was bound by the Administrative Procedures Act.

The Local Authorities Board was an independent quasijudicial tribunal. It had all the rights, privileges, and immunities as the Court of Queen's Bench with regard to proceedings, the attendance and examination of witnesses, production and inspection of documents, enforcement of its orders, payment of costs, and all other matters necessary for it to effect its powers. The orders, decisions, rules, and regulations of the board could be appealed to the Court of Appeal on questions of jurisdiction or law but not on questions of fact.

The Local Authorities Board considered and made recommendations or decisions on applications by local authorities. As set out in the enabling legislation, the board had jurisdiction and power to inquire into the merit of any application of a local authority for permission to raise money by way of debenture or upon the security of stocks. The board could supervise the expenditure of funds borrowed by local authorities and deal with their financial affairs. It also had the power to separate land from an urban municipality and deal with subdivision plans.

Predecessor and Successor Bodies:
Until 1961, the Public Utilities Board administered some of the functional responsibilities that would later be assumed by the Local Authorities Board. The Public Utilities Board was created to supervise all matters that applied to local government indebtedness.

With the proclamation of the Municipal Government Act, the Alberta Assessment Appeal Board, Alberta Planning Board, and Local Authorities Board were combined to form the Municipal Government Board. The Municipal Government Board is responsible for the resolution of assessment and housing disputes and annexation issues in Alberta.

Administrative Relationships:
The board reported to the Minister of Municipal Affairs. The board was not subject to direction by any minister, Member of the Legislative Assembly, or government official in respect to its quasijudicial duties. The board's orders relating to petitions for annexation had no effect unless approved by the Lieutenant Governor in Council who could approve an order, prescribe conditions that the order was subject to, and approve the order subject to those conditions, vary the order, and approve the order as varied, or oppose the order.

Administrative Structure:
The Lieutenant Governor in Council appointed members of the board and designated the chair. At the board's inception, it was composed of a maximum of three members. By the mid-1980s, the board's size had increased to six members with a staff of ten; by the end of the decade, the staff had been reduced to eight.

Names of Chief officers:
Chairs of the Local Authorities Board
Colin G. MacGregor 1961-1974
Donald A. Bancroft 1974-1979
Charles Ivan Shelley 1979-1987
Bryan T. Clark (Acting) 1987-1990
Bryan T. Clark 1990-1992
Archie Ray Grover 1992-1993
John Charles Davis 1993-1994

Other · 1989-2002

The staff at the Provincial Archives of Alberta and the instructors in the Photographic Technology Program at the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT) began a collaborative project in 1989 with the goal of documenting aspects of contemporary society. The Archives provided instruction on documentary photography to first and second year students in the Photographic Technology Program. The students were assigned a topic to photograph; these assignments were graded by the Archives staff, and then acquired and exhibited by the Archives.

The collaboration ended in 2002.

Other

In 1989, the Department of Museums and Collections Services, University of Alberta designed an education kit to accompany an exhibit entitled "Now That We Are Persons" celebrating the 60th anniversary of the "Person's Case", a case that sought to recognize women as "persons" in Canadian law with the same legal rights as men.

From 1989 to 1993, the kit traveled throughout museums in Alberta. Helen Collinson, Curator, Museums and Collections Services served as education kit coordinator and curatorial adviser. Numerous individuals at the University of Alberta and the Alberta Museums Association contributed to the production of the kit. The kit complements grades 4 and 10.

Other

The Opportunities for Youth, Know Your Neighbour Project was prepared by Stony Plain and Drayton Valley high school students. The project was financed by the Government of Canada under the Opportunities for Youth program established by the Alberta Government Department of Culture, Youth, and Recreation. The project involved researching the history of the Stony Plain area, painting name signs for residents of the area, and producing a local history book.

Pysanka Project
Other

The Pysanka Project was started in 1973 when the Vegreville Chamber of Commerce made application to the Alberta Century Celebrations Committee for a $15,000 matching grant to erect a monument in honour of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (R.C.M.P.). The project was originally scheduled for dedication in June 1974, however the concept became very complex and time extensions were given with additional grants to a total of $25,000.

Professor Ron Resch of the University of Utah was responsible for the entire development of the concept processed by computer. Consequently, in the scientific world, one notes at least nine mathematical, architectural, and engineering firsts. Professor Resch and Paul Sembaliuk jointly interpreted and designed the symbolic Pysanka (Easter egg) in dedication to the R.C.M.P.

Permaloy Enterprises anodized the aluminum facets of the skin, Cessco International Ltd. Fabricated the internal structure and base, and George Cheranko acted as Consulting Architect throughout the project.This Pysanka symbolizes the harmony, vitality, and culture of the community.

It was dedicated on July 28, 1975 in Vegreville, Alberta, as a tribute to the one hundredth anniversary of the R.C.M.P. who brought peace and security to the largest multi-cultural settlement in all of Canada

Other

In the 1970s, Reynoldston Research and Studies, a private research organization based in Vancouver, sponsored the collection of oral history interviews pertaining to trade unions, the University of British Columbia, Japanese Canadians, French-Canadians, German Canadians, Scandinavian Canadians, Ugandan Asian Canadians, Jewish Canadians, women, Pemberton Valley, and Vancouver. The British Columbia Archives now owns the collection.

Unknown donor
Other

The provenance is not recorded or known for the records associated with this name authority record.

Other

The Vegreville Electoral District served as a federal electoral district in the Canadian House of Commons from 1925 to 1997.