Showing 10819 results

Authority record
Zonta Club of Edmonton
Corporate body

The Zonta Club of Edmonton was organized in 1953, and received its charter in 1954 from parent organization, Zonta International which was a service club for business and professional women founded in Buffalo, New York in 1919. The Zonta International club sought to improve the status of women and push for gender equity in employment; it encouraged ethical standards of business through donating time and money to various civic and social causes.

Membership increased quickly after the 1919 foundation and a Confederation of nine Zonta clubs was almost immediately formed in the United States with a first executive session of the Confederation's officers in 1920. The American members were among the first generation of college-educated women, the first generation of North American women to vote, and a part of the growing legion of women entering the workforce. The name Zhonta was selected in 1919 and this word meaning honest and trustworthy, was derived from the Lakhota (Teton Dakota) language of the Native-American Sioux peoples. Later changed to Zonta, the word's meaning was incorporated into the Zonta emblem.

The Zonta Confederation became Zonta International when the first European club, the Zonta Club of Vienna, Austria was organized in 1930.

The Zonta Club of Edmonton formed part of Zonta International District VIII. The club based its membership on classification by business or profession. The club also required any member of its executive to work at least 50% of the time. The Zonta Club of Edmonton is now dissolved.

Corporate body

Zion United Church had its origins in two different congregations in the Beiseker area of Alberta, the Zion Congregational Church and the Beiseker United Church.

Beiseker United Church began ca. 1915, with the congregation being served by United Church ministers from the Acme Pastoral Charge. Early services were held at Beiseker in a building converted from a livery barn to a community hall ca. 1922. In 1925, services moved to a former school which had become a private dwelling before being renovated for use as a church. From 1927-1938 only bible study was held. Beiseker United Church amalgamated with Zion United Church in 1949 and the church building was sold and converted into a doctor's office.

Zion Congregational Church was founded in the Beiseker area of Alberta in 1909. The congregation was officially organized as a Congregational Church on Jan. 4, 1914. Construction of the church was started in 1918 on two acres of land donated by Peter M. Berreth on SE ¼ 16-28-25-W4. The church building was dedicated on July 14, 1918. The building was enlarged and renovated in 1928.

The Zion Congregational Church amalgamated with the United Church of Canada in 1947, becoming part of the Carbon Pastoral Charge. In 1949, the church was moved from its original site into the town of Beiseker and the congregation amalgamated with Beiseker United Church taking the name Zion United Church. The original church site continued to be used as a cemetery. On July 1, 1950, Zion United Church became part of the Acme Pastoral Charge.

Zion United Church amalgamated with Acme United Church in 1998.

Zeman, Gary
Person · 1942-2022

Gary Zeman was born on 1 September 1942 in Regina, Saskatchewan to parents Jessie Mary Shewan Zeman and Joseph Zeman Jr. After graduating from Normal School, he taught for a year in Ceylon, SK before finishing his Bachelor of Education degree at the University of Saskatchewan. He met and married Marianne Ligtelyn and the couple moved to Edmonton where Gary worked for the municipal Department of Parks and Recreation before relocating to Drumheller where Gary worked as the Recreational Director at the Drumheller Penitentiary. He eventually returned to teaching and wrote Alberta on Ice, a history of hockey in Alberta.

Gary Zeman died on 1 September, 2022

Zelmer, Amy
Person

Amy Mary Elliott was born December 20, 1935 in Halifax, Nova Scotia; she was the daughter of George T. and Annie Caroline (Smart) Elliott. On December 16, 1969, she married Adam Charles (A.C.) Lynn Zelmer; they had one daughter, Jennifer Lynne Zelmer, born August 11, 1972.

In 1973, Amy earned her Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in education administration and communications from Michigan State University. From 1976 to 1988, she was a professor in the Faculty of Nursing at the University of Alberta.

In 1988, the Zelmers moved to Australia where Amy was a professor in the Faculty of Health Science at Central Queensland University in Rockhampton, Australia until 1996; after February 1996, she has been an honorary professor with the Faculty.

Zelmer, A.C. Lynn
Person

Adam Charles (A.C.) Lynn Zelmer was born March 19, 1943 in Calgary, Alberta; he was the son of Hubert Adam and Winona Ella (May) Zelmer. He completed his Bachelor of Education at the University of Alberta in 1965 and a Master of Science degree from Stout State University in Wisconsin in 1969.

He has found employment as a photographer, a media producer, a trainer, a teacher, an academic and a consultant in Canada and Australia as well as other countries. He has developed a variety of training resources and has been involved in the application of technology to teaching and training.

On December 16, 1969, Lynn married Amy Mary Elliott; they had one daughter, Jennifer Lynne Zelmer, born August 11, 1972. In 1988, Lynn and wife Amy moved to Australia. He completed his Ph.D. at the University of Queensland in 1994. Though retired, Lynn continued to supervise postgraduate students as well as develop and manage a number of community and organizational websites and other multimedia projects.

Corporate body · 1904-1954

The Zella School District Number No. 1078 was formed September 22, 1904 in the Town of Didsbury, Alberta at Section 6, Township 32, Range 3, West of the 5th Meridian (6-32-3-W5). The school operated until 1954. In April 1955 the Minister of Education approved the sale of the Zella school building to the Zella Community Association; Zella School became the Zella Community Centre.

Corporate body

Named after a village in Halchyna, Ukraine, Zawale School District No. 1074 was established in 1904 at Section 33, Township 55, Range 17, West of the 4th Meridian (33-55-17-W4). The School closed in 1950 and the children bussed to Andrew to attend school.

Zaseybida, Nancy
Person · 1908-2009

Nancy Zaseybida (née Ropchan) was born to John and Maria Ropchan on July 3, 1908 in Soda Lake, Alberta. John and Maria Ropchan were farmers and had immigrated separately to Canada from Ukraine in the late 19th century, met and married in Canada, and purchased the homestead that Nancy was born on. John was an active member of the United Farmers of Alberta and Maria was a school trustee on the local school board as well as a postmaster. In addition to Nancy, the Ropchans had five other children: Alex, Sam, Bill, Katherine, and Vera.

Nancy completed high school and began nurse's training when she met her husband, John Zaseybida (1897-1970), at a social function. John also came from a farming family with land near Vegreville, Alberta. Nancy left nursing school to marry John and moved to his family's property.

Nancy became active with politics when she heard William Irvine speak at a farmers' meeting in 1938. She decided to become a member of the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (CCF) then but did not have enough money to do so immediately. She eventually became a member and started organizing CCF meetings with other members in the Vegreville area in the 1940s. She remained an active CCF member and organizer throughout the 1940s and into the 1950s and was nominated as the CCF candidate for the Vegreville constituency for the 1952 provincial election. She subsequently ran as a federal CCF candidate in the 1957 federal election and once again as a CCF candidate in the 1959 provincial election. She was unsuccessful in all three elections but served as an important trailblazer for women in Alberta politics.

After the demise of the CCF, Nancy was a founding member of the Alberta New Democratic Party (NDP) but was not as active with the NDP as she had been with the CCF. Nancy was made a lifetime member of the NDP in 1987 for her decades-long work with both that party and the CCF.

Beyond her work with the CCF and NDP, Nancy also served on the executive of the Farmer Women's Union of Alberta, the Women's Institute, the Canadian Cancer Society, the Voice of Women, and the Vegreville Exhibition Society. She also served on the first Farm Improvement District Company in 1928, was a delegate to the Associated Country Women of the World conference in 1953, and a volunteer for the Red Cross and the Elizabeth Fry Society.

Nancy and John Zaseybida had four children together: Christine, Orest, Edmonton, and Leonard. Nancy died on June 16, 2009 in Calgary.

Zalewski, Janusz
Person

Janusz (John) Zalewski lives in Edmonton.

Zaitchik, Shirley
Person

Shirley Zaitchik was a stenographer at the University of Alberta Hospital in Edmonton, Alberta in 1975.

Yurko, Bill
Person · 1926-2010

William Yurko was born in Hairy Hill, Alberta in 1926. He served as a gunner in the Royal Canadian Air Force from 1944-1945. He married Mary Paul (1922-2009) in 1947, and together they had four children: Jim, Carol, Janet and Shelley. After six months of peacetime service at Canadian Forces Base Rockcliffe in 1949,he attended the University of Alberta, where he obtained a degree in chemical engineering in 1950. He worked at several companies before opening his own firm of consulting engineers. He also served on the boards of several community organizations.

After an unsuccessful attempt to win nomination as a federal candidate in 1968, he was elected as a Progressive Conservative MLA in 1969 for the Edmonton East electoral district. He served as Minister of the Environment (1971-1975) and Minister of Housing and Public Works (1975-1978). He resigned in 1978 to enter federal politics. He was elected as a Member of Parliament in 1979, initially as a Progressive Conservative but later as an independent, and served until his defeat in the 1984 federal election.

After leaving office, he served on the Senate and Board of Governors of the University of Alberta. He served as the Chair of the Alberta Oil Sands Technology and Research Authority (AOSTRA) from 1987 to 1993.

He died in Edmonton in 2010.

Y's Men's Club of Edmonton
Corporate body

The Y's Men's Club of Edmonton was a branch of the International Association of Y's Men's Clubs. The Y's Men's Club of Edmonton received its charter in 1945.

Every Y's Man was a member of the Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA). The Y's only accepted members between the ages of 25 and 36 years old. Six Directors and an Executive consisting of a President, Past-President, Executive Vice-President, Service Vice-President, Program Vice-President, Corresponding Secretary, Recording Secretary, and a Treasurer managed the organization. Members paid $20.00 quarterly.

The Y's maintained several committees including the following: Program Committee, Club Service Committee, Publicity Committee, House Committee, Fellowship Committee, Club Service Committee, Boy's Work Committee, World Outlook Committee, Fellowship Committee, Boy's Work Committee, New Y.M.C.A Member's Counseling, and a Membership Committee.

In 1944, the organization purchased land at Jackfish Bay in Lake Wabamum to run camp Keewayhadin.

Youth Development Centre
Corporate body

The Youth Development Centre was established in 1970 under the Child Welfare Act (S.A., 1966, ch. 13) as a co-educational treatment centre for youth. The facility focused on custodial and treatment services for juvenile delinquents received via the Juvenile Courts and Regional Placement Committees, and for neglected or emotionally disturbed children under the Child Welfare Act. Programming at the Centre consisted of flexible treatment, case management, social work, volunteer work, after-care, group homes, family counseling, psychological services, health services, school services and recreation. The Youth Development Centre replaced the Alberta Institution for Girls. In 1985 it was transferred to the Department of Solicitor General.

Youngs, C.W.
Person · 1928-2021

Charles Walton (Wally) Youngs was born in Didsbury, Alberta in 1928, the son of George A. and Janet May (Bradshaw) Youngs. He completed high school in 1947 and then worked as a rodman and instrumentman for the Department of Public Works; this marked the beginning of his interest in surveying.

He qualified as an Alberta Land Surveyor in 1953 and received his commission as a Dominion Land Surveyor in 1955. In 1953 he was appointed Assistant Director of Surveys for the Alberta Government, and became Director of Surveys from 1964 until 1982. He retired in 1983.

He served as a member of council for the Alberta Land Surveyors' Association from 1956 to 1962, vice-president in 1959 and president in 1960. After retiring, he joined the International Federation of Surveying (FIG), later serving as its Secretary General

Wally married his wife Doreen Crooks (1929-2020) in 1953, and together they had two children: Julia (Seager) and Laurie (Douglas). He died in 2021.

Younge family
Family

Christian C. Younge was born in Ringkobing, Jutland, Denmark to Johann Junge, a tanner. In the early 1890s he married Elna Ruder who was born in Laaland, an island in southern Denmark. Christian Younge immigrated to Winnipeg, Manitoba in 1910. He secured a homestead near Mannville, Alberta and his family joined him in the fall of 1911. The Younges had at least eight children, Oskar, Eva, Margaret, Agnete, George, Rikard (Rex), Otto, and Johannes.

Oskar married Ruby Gates in 1945 and they had a son, Rudy. Oskar died in 1964 and Ruby died in 1980. Margaret married Bill Bailey and they had a son, Phillip. Margaret Bailey died in 1971. Eva Younge was born in Denmark in 1898. She graduated from the University of Alberta with a Bachelor of Arts degree and then received a Masters degree in Sociology from McGill University in Ontario. She moved to Vancouver in 1965 and died in Mannville, Alberta on June 11, 1977.

Otto Younge attended university and moved to the United States working in soil conservation. Otto and his wife, Myrtle, retired to live in Hawaii. Agnete married Bliss Dickson of Innisfree, Alberta and they had three children, Marquis, Rita, and John. Agnete was widowed in 1945 and moved to Edmonton, Alberta. George attended Normal School and taught for several years. He married Marion Swanson and they had three children, Dale, Sherrie and Laraine. They took over the family farm and George died in April 1966. Rex married Jean McCaulay and they had four children, Brian, Derek, Kristi, and Shelly Ann. Rex did his residency at Misericordia Hospital in Edmonton and opened a practice in Ponoka. He died in 1953. Johannes married Doris and they had two children, Gail and Wayne.

Young, W.T.
Person · 1884-1965

Born in Cork, Ireland, William T. Young volunteered for Methodist missionary work in Canada after high school and arrived in Canada in 1905. He completed an arts course at Wesley College before taking his theological degree at St. Stephen's College in Edmonton, becoming one of its first graduates. He was ordained in 1911 and served as the Methodist minister in the area of Frank, Alberta from 1911 until 1927. He married Ethel Aikens (1888-1982) in Blairmore in 1912, and together they had two children: Olive (1913-1995) and William Anglin "Cy" (1917-1966)

He transferred to Trinity Church in Calgary, serving from 1927 until he moved to Edmonton in 1934. He served as Calvin, Avonmore, Forest Heights, Rabbit HIll and Norwood United Churches. He retired in 1955 and died in Edmonton in 1965.

Young, Phyllis
Person · 1911-2001

Phyllis Collier was born May 25, 1911 in Toronto, Ontario. She was the daughter of Herbert and Mabel Collier. The family moved to the Viking, Alberta area in 1915.

Phyllis completed her Bachelors of Arts from the University of Alberta in 1932, and completed teacher training at the Alberta Normal School in Edmonton. She likely taught at the Edmonton Indian Residential School 1935-1936. She then taught at Phillips School (1938) and then Bruce School (April 1938-June 1941). In 1942, she joined the Royal Canadian Armed Forces and served in Lethbridge.

Phyllis married Delbert A. Young in 1946. They moved in Edmonton, Alberta in 1948. Phyllis continued to teach until her retirement in 1973.

Phyllis Young passed away in Edmonton on October 3, 2001.

Young, Morley A.R.
Person · 1895-1981

Born in Manitoba in 1895, Doctor (Dr.) Morely A.R. Young moved to Alberta to attend the University of Alberta's medical program in 1915. He went overseas with the First Canadian Tank Battalion in 1918. He married Beatrice Rolland (1892-1971), and together they had two sons, David Rolland (1925-1981) and James Derrick (1930-2010).

After graduation in 1921, he did post-graduate work in Saskatchewan and Montreal. He entered private practice in Lamont, Alberta in 1922, joining Dr. A.E. Archer and Dr. Rush in a partnership at the Lamont Public Hospital, later called the Archer Memorial Hospital. By 1949 Young was medical superintendent of the hospital.

He served as president of the Alberta Division of the Canadian Medical Association and served as president of the national body in 1957. He also represented the Canadian Medical Association at the World Medical Conferences ca. 1962.

He retired in 1978 and died in Lamont in 1981.

Young, Les
Person · 1934-

Leslie Gordon Young was born in Compton, Quebec in 1934. He received his early education at local schools before attending the University of Montreal and University of Massachusetts, where he received a Masters degree in economics. He married Helen McKivdy in 1958. In 1965, he moved to Alberta to work as a economist with the Alberta School Trustees Association. He later opened his own management consulting firm.

He was elected as a Progressive Conservative MLA in 1971 for the Edmonton-Jasper Place electoral district. He served as Minister of Labour (1979-1986) and Minister of Technology, Research and Telecommunications (1986-1989). He was defeated in the 1989 provincial election.

After leaving office, he served as Board President and later as Executive Director of the Edmonton Space and Science Centre (1989-1999). Initially appointed to the Capital Regional Health Authority in 1996, he ran unsuccessfully for a seat on the board in 2001.

Young, Edith Peacock
Person · 1878-1964

Edith Peacock was born January 22, 1878. She was originally from Hamilton, Ontario. In 1903, she traveled to Calgary, Alberta as part of an excursion arranged for young women by the Methodist Church in Hamilton; while in Calgary, she met Norman Young. Edith married Norman on January 1, 1907 in Calgary, Alberta.

After their marriage, they moved to High River, Alberta where Norman was a partner in the Hislop, Kelly and Young Company General Store. They moved to Ensign, Alberta in 1917. Edith and Norman had four children: Ruth, Don, Leone (Hopson) and Jean.

She died in Vancouver in 1964.

Young, Delbert A.
Person · 1907-1975

Delbert Alton Young was born on November 26, 1907 in Chalk River, Ontario. He moved with his family to a farm in Ribstone, Alberta ca. 1913 and attended Normal School in Camrose in 1926. Young taught for a year before taking over operation of the family farm for the next 17 years. He married Phyllis Collier (1911- 2001) in 1946 and moved to Edmonton in 1948.

Young then worked for Northern Alberta Railways as a carpenter, worked as a miner in and around hard rock mines, did construction work, and worked as a private builder until 1956 when ill health forced him to retire and he began writing professionally. Young wrote numerous articles and short stories for such magazines and newspapers as Canadian Boy, Onward, Family Herald, Country Guide, the Edmonton Journal, Heritage, and The Beaver. He also wrote five novels, two non-fiction and three fiction, two of which, The Last Voyage of the Unicorn and The Ghost Ship, won the Hudson's Bay Company Beaver Award. He also wrote book reviews, two movie scripts, and school radio broadcasts for the Alberta Department of Education.

Young was a member of the Pleasantview United Church, the Heritage Sites Board of Alberta, and the Canadian Authors Association. He was also the Business and Circulation Manager, and Alberta Regional Representative on the national executive, for Canadian Author and Bookman from 1968 to until his death.

Young died on January 22, 1975.

Corporate body · 1907-

The YMCA was founded in Edmonton in 1907 and celebrated its 100th anniversary of service with the community in 2007. The mission of the YMCA is to create strong and inclusive communities valuing women's perspectives through leadership, advocacy and support for women and their families.

The YWCA was incorporated in 1907 by a special act of the provincial legislature. Since its foundation, the YWCA of Edmonton has made significant contributions to the social, economic, educational, and health dimensions of the province of Alberta. The programs and services offered by the organization have, over a century, continually adapted to meet the changing needs of the larger community.

During its first few decades, in a frontier city unprepared for an influx of single women, the organization assisted thousands of rural and immigrant women who came to Edmonton to further their education or seek employment. In addition to providing safe and economical housing for "unattached" women, the YWCA Travelers Aid workers, for more than sixty years, met every scheduled train and bus to offer support and assistance to women visiting or relocating to the city. With the rapidly expanding population of the west came homelessness, prostitution and separated families, the YWCA provided food, shelter, employment information, and training during the first decades of service. A post-war emphasis on athleticism and the outdoors led to the YWCA opening its first swimming pool and gymnasium and organizing a women's camping program at Seba Beach starting in 1916. In the third decade of service, during the Great Depression of the 1930s, thousands of people passed through Alberta and Edmonton as they searched for work. The YWCA worked to provide food and accommodation, and training for unemployed women and girls.

Formerly a community with an agriculture-based economy, the city became a strategic centre for northern military operations, including the Alaska Highway. From 1937 to the late 1940s, YWCA volunteers and staff met the needs of service men's wives, women in the military, and other women in the workforce by providing daycare services, social clubs, and a housing registry.

During the late sixties and well into the seventies, thousands of young people traveled across the country in large numbers, creating the "transient youth" era in the life of the YWCA. The residence stretched to accommodate the increased need and several cooperative youth hostels were developed. In 1976, the YWCA opened the building on 100 Avenue which provided much-needed sport and recreational facilities, daycare, and affordable housing for women. In the 1980s, with the growing awareness of the needs of persons with disabilities, the YWCA began to offer leisure and recreational opportunities for adults with disabilities as well as relief rare for families caring for a child with a disability. The YWCA of Edmonton continues in the new millennium to provide core services to Alberta women and their families.

Corporate body

The Young Women's Christian Association Hostess House in Claresholm on the R.C.A.F. station (at No. 15 S.F.T.S.) was the first one in Alberta. It contained a large living room, two bedrooms, an office and a kitchen. Its opening in June 1942 marked the beginning of several such houses to be built at air force and military camps. It was the one of the thirty three such centers operating throughout Canada through the Y.W.C.A. War Services in Toronto.

The Hostess House in Claresholm offered hospitality and a touch of home to men of the R.C.A.F., their wives, mothers and friends; it was the scene of several air force weddings. Its canteen was always opened and the House during its first year was visited by an average of 1 000 persons per week. The Auxiliary Services under the Canadian Department of Defence placed the responsibility of running such Houses to the Y.W.C.A. because of its past experience in hospitality.

The functions of the House were: to take care of the relatives of the men in training in case of accident or illness; to supply a meeting place for the men and women of the Station and their spouses in home-like atmosphere; to hold special events such as weddings.

Corporate body · 1907-

The Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA) was founded by George Williams in London, England in 1844 as a response to difficult social conditions during the Industrial Revolution. The first YMCA in Canada was established in Montreal, Quebec in 1851.

The YMCA gradually spread across Canada and was established in Edmonton, Alberta in 1907. Prior to its establishment in Edmonton the Edmonton Young Men's Institute operated from September 1899. On December 21, 1903 members of the Edmonton Young Men's Institute decided that a meeting should be called to consider establishing a YMCA in the city. A public meeting was arranged for January 4, 1904, which was attended by about 125 men who had come prepared to discuss the need for a YMCA. Three years later on March 17, 1907, the Young Men's Christian Association of Edmonton was established by an act of the Alberta Legislature.

A constitution and bylaws were prepared and submitted to a Board Meeting on Thursday, March 21, 1907. At the time the object of the society was the improvement of the spiritual, intellectual, social and physical conditions of young men. A year later the YMCA officially opened offering a swimming pool, gymnasium, running track, residence, employment bureau, meeting rooms, Bible classes and education classes.

Young family
Family

William Lewis Young was born in Orangeville, Ontario in 1882. William worked for the Revillon Brothers Company in Edmonton, Alberta.

He married Emily Mays (b. 1887) in Edmonton, Alberta in 1908, and together they had a child, Norman Lewis (1919-2009).

Emily died in Edmonton in 1926, and Henry died there in 1943.

Corporate body · 1977-1979

In 1977, a committee of individuals representing Alberta Education, Alberta Culture, and the Learning Resources Council of the Alberta Teacher's Association formed to sponsor a week long program in Alberta schools, "Alberta Book Week". The committee, chaired by Lillian B. Wight, created a kit promoting reading and learning activities. In 1978, the committee distributed the kit to schools in the Northwest Territories, and public and separate schools throughout Alberta.

In 1979, the Children's Book Centre organized a national book festival, and the Alberta Book Week discontinued its program.

Young & Bisset
Corporate body

Upon his return from serving in the First World War, lawyer Athelstan Bisset (1883-1973) formed a partnership with his colleague George Young under the name Young and Bisset. This partnership lasted until 1952 when Bisset was appointed the first judge of Alberta's Family Court based in Edmonton.

Yorath, Chris
Person · 1936-

Christopher “Chris” John Yorath was born in Calgary in 1936. He conducted petroleum exploration in the Middle East and Alberta during his early career and joined the Geological Survey of Canada in 1967 and the Survey’s Pacific Geoscience Centre in 1976. He has authored several books, mostly composed of volumes on the geology of Canada but also one describing the D’Arcy Island Leper colony. By 2013 he had retired to live in Victoria, BC. Further information on Yorath was not located.

Yellowknee, Ray
Person

In 1968, Ray Yellowknee of Wabasca, Alberta conducted oral history interviews with 8 Cree Elders of the Wabasca-Desmarais area.

Yellowbird, Rik
Person

A writer, and lecturer, Rik Yellowbird lived on Pigeon Lake Reserve, Alberta. He has three sons and two daughters.

Yee, Louise
Person · 1903-1998

Louise Brown was born in 1903 in Joplin, Missouri, the daughter of Frank M. Brown and Lynna (Lynne) Tomlinson (1874-1951). From Missouri, she and her mother moved to Swift Current, Saskatchewan to live with Louise's grandmother. In 1914, she and her mother left for Lethbridge. At 12, she and her mother moved to Calgary, then to Edmonton.

In 1919 at the age of 16, Louise married Newton Llewellyn Warren (1900-1962), but he was deported to the U.S. for using an assumed name to evade criminal charges. In 1921, Louise returned to her mother and moved to Fort McMurray where she had her first son, Frank. Following a period of living in Fort McMurray, she moved to Fort Chipewyan and had several more children. During her life in Fort Chipewyan she lived with Joe Shott.

After 1938, Louise moved to Fort McMurray where she married Victor Hjalmar Jorgenson (Victor Johnson) in 1943. With Johnson, she had her twelfth child. Louise eventually left Johnson and moved her family to the Fort Smith, NWT. In 1977, she married Harry Yee, a Fort Simpson businessman. Following their marriage, Louise and Harry settled in Mayerthorpe, Alberta. Louise was the mother of 13 children, grandmother to 40 children, and great grandmother to 56 children.

She died in Edmonton in 1998, predeceased by Harry and several of her children.

Yawney, Adella Mary
Person

In 1911, Erwin and Dolly Ruckman (neé Chapman) and family moved from Iowa and settled in Alberta's Suffield block. The family returned to Iowa for the birth of their child, Mary Adella Ruckman, born 1912 in Terril, Iowa. Shortly after Mary's birth, the family returned to Alberta.

In Alberta, Mary and her brother Jim attended the Helgolan rural school. For grades seven through twelve (except for one year at Kinlock), Mary attended school in Medicine Hat and boarded with the Beny and Maher families.

After graduation, Mary obtained a teacher's certificate from the Calgary Normal School. However, before she began teaching, Mary first worked in the National Bakery ice cream parlor. Mary later taught at a number of rural one room schoolhouses in Alberta including, Walsh/Irvine, Schuler/Rose Glen, Scandia/Rainier/Jenny Lynn and Circle Hill. While employed as a teacher, Mary boarded with various farm families.

Mary met her future husband William Yawney (1910-1996), in Medicine Hat, Alberta. William was the eldest of four children from Elm Creek, Manitoba. After working a variety of odd jobs, a position with the Canadian Pacific Railway and later Cominco in Trail, British Columbia, William returned to Vauxhall and married Mary on July 4, 1939. The couple then settled in Rossland, British Columbia. While in Rossland, William worked with the Rossland fire department. Later, William started his own business, Modern Plumbing and Heating.

The couple had two children, Brian (1942-) and Judy (1954-). Mary participated in many community events and organizations while living in Rossland including the Rossland Girl Guides, the church, the local library, and the Rossland Art Club

Yates, Mary
Person

Mary Jane Yates lived in Crowsnest Pass, Alberta in the 1990s.

Yardley-Jones, John
Person · 1930-2023

John Yardley-Jones was born in 1930 in Liverpool, England. He was evacuated to Wales while a child during the Second World War. He trained as a draughtsman, has been a boxer, and apprenticed as a house painter. In 1957, he emigrated to Alberta with his wife Mary, who had been born in Wales in 1932. He is an artist and satirical cartoonist, who comments on the social and the political. He published his first satirical cartoons in the early 1960s with the Roughneck, a magazine for the Canadian oil community. His first break as a cartoonist with a major daily newspaper was with the Edmonton Journal in 1962. He and his family then moved east where he worked for the Toronto Telegram and then the Montreal Star. In 1981, he returned to Alberta, working for the Edmonton Sun and then the Edmonton Journal. He retired from the Journal in the early 1990s.

His work brought him national and international acclaim; his subjects also often requested copies of cartoons by Yardley-Jones, including John Diefenbaker, John F. Kennedy, Lyndon Johnson and Richard Nixon. He published a number of anthologies, and contributed art to publications, advertisements and promotional products over his career. He also hosted a show on ACCESS TV in the late 1980s, Cartooning with Yardley-Jones. Yardley-Jones won the National Newspaper Award for Editorial Cartoons in 1971.

Always active in the community, Yardley-Jones donated time and drawings to many charitable activities. Yardley-Jones was also a marathon runner, cross-country skier and advocate of fitness. Taking up the fitness challenge by US president Kennedy, in March 1963, Yardley-Jones participated in the 50 Mile Walk from New Sarepta to Edmonton. He featured New Sarepta, a village in Leduc County, Alberta, in his cartoons, and was named honorary mayor. He inspired the village to name itself the “Cartoon Capital of Canada”, and there is a Yardley-Jones Park in New Sarepta.

Yardley-Jones continued to paint after retirement, focusing on landscapes, city scapes and portraits. He and his wife Mary had six children. Mary Yardley-Jones passed away in 2009 in Edmonton.

Yardley-Jones passed away on December 6, 2023.

Yamabe, Wright family
Family

Richard and Marianna (née Wright) Yamabe are key figures in the history of the Western Canadian Church of God and Gardner Bible College (formerly the Alberta Bible Institute), a now-defunct, secondary and post-secondary institute once operated by the Church of God in Camrose, Alberta.

Richard Yamabe was born in 1928 to Kiyoshi and Shinako Yamabe, Japanese immigrants who settled in the Okanagan Valley of British Columbia. Kiyoshi was originally from Nagano Prefecture in Japan and immigrated to Canada in 1918 to work in the burgeoning fruit industry in Summerland, BC. He returned to Japan in 1928 for an arranged marriage with Shinako Hama, also of Nagano Prefecture. The couple were married in Japan and immediately returned to Canada, where Kiyoshi now had his own fruit orchard in Summerland.

After the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor during the Second World War, the Yamabe family were classified as enemy aliens by the Canadian government due to their Japanese heritage. At the time, there was a significant community of Japanese immigrants and Japanese-Canadians in Summerland who were all classified as enemy aliens and thus subjected to stringent curtails on personal freedom and movement. The Yamabe family were not forced into internment camps, though, as they were far removed from the Pacific coast and therefore seen as less of a threat.

Immediately after the war, Japanese immigrants and Japanese-Canadians who had been classified as enemy aliens were still unable to travel to or live on the Pacific coast. This delayed Richard's entrance into the University of British Columbia, where he wanted to study, so he completed Grade 13 in Penticton. While there, Richard converted to Christianity and joined the Church of God at a Youth for Christ rally held by that sect.

In 1947, Richard was able to begin studies toward a Bachelor of Science degree at the University of British Columbia, graduating in 1951. He was then encouraged by Reverence H.C. Heffren of the Church of God to train to become a missionary in Japan and pursued this course by attending the Anderson Bible School in Anderson, Indiana from 1951 to 1954.

Upon graduation from the School of Theology, Richard delayed his mission to Japan in order to teach at the Alberta Bible Institute in Camrose, Alberta as that institution was in need of a high school science teacher. Richard would remain as an instructor and dean at the Alberta Bible Institute until 1974, at which point he left to devote himself full-time to the operation of the Gospel Contact Press, the publishing arm of the Western Canadian Church of God, a task that he had begun on a part-time basis in 1963. Richard remained as the editor of the Gospel Contact and operator of the Gospel Contact Press until 1988. He also grew his photography hobby into a business, founding On-the-Spot Photography in 1982. One of his photographs, an image of Camrose Church of Christ, has been used extensively to promote the City of Camrose.

Marianna Wright was born in Kirkaldy, Alberta in 1930 to Walker and Eva (née Miller) Wright. Walker Wright was born in England in 1892 and immigrated with his family to Alberta in 1912, settling near Lougheed. Walker joined the Church of God after his service in France during the First World War and decided to train to become a pastor at the Anderson Bible School from 1922 to 1924. While in Anderson, Walker met Eva Miller and the couple decided to marry after moving to Canada in 1926. Walker was asked to become an itinerant pastor for Church of God congregations in Alberta that did not have an established church.

After years of pastoral work for various congregations across Alberta, the Wright family, which now included Eva as well as two more daughters (Ruth and Esther), moved to the small community of Plum Coulee in Manitoba in 1945. In 1953, Marianna left Manitoba to study at the Alberta Bible Institute in Camrose, Alberta, where she met Richard Yamabe.

Richard and Marianna were married in 1955 and had two children, Carol Ann (Breitkreutz) (1956) and David (1959). Over the course of their marriage, Richard and Marianna were able to travel on several missions to Kenya, India, Germany, and several other locations. After retiring from the Gospel Contact Press, the Yamabes moved to Japan to fulfill Richard's lifelong dream to do pastoral work in that country, which he did from 1996 to 1998.

Corporate body · 1972-1984

The XI British Commonwealth Games, Canada (1978) Foundation was incorporated under the Companies Act on August 16, 1972. The name of the Foundation was changed to the XI Commonwealth Games Canada (1978) Foundation on March 5, 1975.

The foundation planned and organized the XI Commonwealth Games, which were to be held in Edmonton, Alberta in 1978. The president of the Foundation was Dr. Maury L. Van Vliet.

The XI Commonwealth Games Canada (1978) Foundation was dissolved July 31, 1984.

Wynnychuk, Marshall
Person

Marshall Wynnychuk grew up in Vegreville, Alberta. He began working in puppetry at age 15, and regularly performed at "Vegreville Amateur Night".

Marshall received a Bachelor's of Education from the University of Alberta, and in 1953, Marshall began teaching in Vermilion, using puppetry as a teaching aid. In 1966, while Marshall taught at Sherbrooke Elementary School, the Department of Education asked him to host an educational program for CBC television. From 1966 to 1972 Marshall performed on the show. In 1993, Marshall retired from teaching.

Marshall has been a member of the Puppeteers of America, the Canadian Aviation Historical Society Northern Chapter, the Edmonton Balloon Club, the Edmonton Tumblewood Lapidary Club, the Gem and Mineral Federation of Canada, the Calgary Rock and Lapidary Club, the Alberta Federation of Rock Clubs, the Strathmore Archaeological Society

Wyman, Marlena
Person · 1955-

Marlena Wyman was born February 27, 1955 in Rockyford, Alberta to Barry (1930-1990) and Doreen (Stover) (1931). She spent her childhood on the family farm in Rockyford.

Marlena studied visual arts and history at the University of Calgary and the University of Alberta, graduating in 1977. Following graduation, she worked at a private art gallery in Edmonton and in various art contract positions. She worked as an Audio/Visual Archivist at the Provincial Archives of Alberta from 1981 until her retirement in 2011.

She has exhibited as an artist at Triangle Gallery in Calgary, Prairie Gallery in Grande Prairie, Latitude 53 Gallery in Edmonton, and Iron Works Gallery in Vancouver. She has also held solo exhibits in Ortona Gallery and Manifesto Gallery in Edmonton. She works in watercolor, acrylic, and mixed media.

Wyman, Barry and Doreen
Family

Barry Wyman was born May 12 1930, at Baintree, Alberta; he was the youngest of six children of Bert (1868-1949) and Lily (Brokenshaw) Wyman (1887-1947), who homesteaded the family farm at Baintree, Alberta. Barry attended school until Grade 9 and then took over operations of the family farm in 1947 after the death of his mother.

He married Doreen Stover on October 12, 1951. Doreen was born August 3, 1931 in Vancouver, British Columbia. She grew up in Vancouver and Abbotsford, British Columbia, and moved to Standard, Alberta at age fifteen with her sister, Gloria, and their mother, Marie Stover. Barry and Doreen's children included: Janice Lynn, born 1952, twins Mitchell David and Marlena Marie, born 1955, Tracy Doreen, born 1960, and Todd Spencer, born 1969.

Barry Wyman was the Chairman of the Western Irrigation District and Co-Chair of the Alberta Irrigation Projects Association in the late 1970s and early 1980s. He also served as the President of the Rockyford Lions' Club for several years.

Barry Wyman died August 20, 1990 at Rockyford, Alberta

Wylie, Horace
Person · 1907-1995

Born in 1907, Horace Wylie lived in Fort Chipewyan and worked as a carpenter, building houses and Chipewyan skiffs and sleds. He served in the Royal Canadian Navy from 1943-1945. He died in Fort McMurray in 1995.

W.W. Sales Limited
Corporate body

W.W. Sales Limited was a store that operated in Edmonton, Alberta during the 1930s. It began operation in 1929 under the management of Samuel Peter Wilson and specialized in hardware, groceries, dry goods and shoes. The store was originally located at 10405 Jasper Avenue but moved to the Goodridge Block, located at 9696 Jasper Avenue in 1931. The company that operated W.W. Sales Limited also operated stores known as Sheldon's Limited in Chipman, Willingdon, Lamont and Mundare, Alberta. In 1942, when Samuel Wilson retired as the manager of W.W. Sales Limited, the name of the store changed to W.W. Arcade.

Wronko, Allan
Person · 1932-2019

Born in 1932, Allan Wronko grew up in the Leduc, Alberta region and attended school at the Michigan Centre School District No. 509. He worked in oil and drilling before become an Assessor for the County of Leduc in 1953. While working as an assessor, he met his future wife Doreen Brown, a clerk in the County office. After retiring from Leduc County, Allan began volunteering at the Provincial Archives of Alberta

He married Doreen Brown in Edmonton in 1956, and together they had children: Diane (Johnson), Darrell, Karen (Blake) and Garnet. He died in 2019.

Wright, Patricia
Person · 1918-1997

Born in 1918, Patricia Norreys Acheson married Len Wright (1922-1982), an ex-Lieutenant with the Canadian Armoured Corps, Canadian Army. In 1946 Patricia and Len , along with other ex-servicemen from the Second World War, started Little Smoky Farm Industries, a small farming community, using their Veterans' Land Act grants.

Patricia and Len had two children, Vicki and Doug. Predeceased by Len, she died in Edmonton in 1997.

Wright, Muriel
Person

Muriel Wright lived in Tequesta, Florida in 1976.

Wright, Lloyd and Ethel
Family

Lloyd Clifford Wright was born in Lougheed, Alberta in 1919. He served in the Royal Canadian Air Force during the Second World War. He graduated from the University of Alberta with a Bachelor of Commerce degree. He worked as a chartered accountant in Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal before returning to Edmonton in 1980.

He married Ethel Marie "Scottie" Scott (1921-2003). They had three children: Douglas, Linda (Dumont) and Donna (MacDermid). Lloyd died in 2005.