Architecture

Elements area

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

    Source note(s)

    • http://purl.org/paash#sh000340

    Display note(s)

      Hierarchical terms

      Architecture

        Equivalent terms

        Architecture

          Associated terms

          Architecture

            44 Archival description results for Architecture

            44 results directly related Exclude narrower terms
            PR3394 · Collection · 1977-1988

            The collection consists of photographs taken at various architectural sites around Alberta. These include a survey of housing in the abandoned coal town of Nordegg that was created by the Woolfenden Group, a photographic survey by McIntosh, Workun & Chernenko Architects of a federal building, and architectural surveys of St. Joseph's College, St. Stephen's College, the Ukrainian Village, and Beaver House.

            Unknown donor
            PR2277 · Fonds · 1968

            The fonds consists of 44 architectural drawings for the construction of the Headstart Kindergarten for the Cardston School Division No. 2 dating from 1968.

            Cardston School Division No. 2
            Cecil Scott Burgess fonds
            PR2978 · Fonds · 1895 - 1951

            The fonds reflects Cecil Scott Burgess architectural career and includes materials created by Cecil Scott Burgess including drawings of sundials dating from 1927 to 1939; measured detailed drawings of features of mosaics, churches, libraries and furniture of churches and Cathedrals in Europe dating from the 1890s to the 1930s; plans of Canadian Battlefield Memorials; plans and drawings of the Seminary of St. Sulpice in Montreal dating from 1905; stencils, brass rubbings, and charts; and plans for Lancashire Town Hall dating from 1894.

            Burgess, Cecil Scott
            PR1136 · Fonds · 1969-1971

            The fonds consists of the records of Clarke, Saunders, Boucock & Associates and predecessors, and includes billing records, correspondence, contracts, and project files relating to the renovations of the Clinical Services Wing of the University of Alberta Hospital.

            Clarke, Saunders, Boucock & Associates
            Cory Cunningham fonds
            PR0057 · Fonds · 1972-1994

            The fonds consists of architectual plans of college and university campuses, private residences, churches, medical, provincial and commercial buildings, and light rail transit stations in Alberta. It also consists of the correspondence, reports, contracts and financial records relating to these plans.

            Cunningham, Cory
            Dennis Person collection
            PR3102 · Collection · 1970

            The fonds consists of course work prepared by Dennis Person's students in the Architectural Section of NAIT for course credit. The fonds includes architectural drawings featuring the Old Edmonton Post Office, Mellon House, Mellon House Barn, the Canadian Pacific Railway Station in South Edmonton, and the Kenneth MacDonald House.

            The fonds also contains reports created by students regarding the construction and design of buildings in Edmonton such as the Church of the Resurrection, St. Anthony's Chapel and Church, St. Joseph's Cathedral, the Church of St. Albert, All Saints Cathedral, St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church, the Alberta Government Telephones building, the Perma building, the Union Bank building, Chancery Hall, Michener Park, Rutherford House, Secord Residence, the Royal George Hotel, the Strand Theatre, the T. Eaton Mail Order Building, Southgate Shopping Centre, the Old Edmonton Library, Hillcrest Junior High School, Corgett Hall, the Industrial Research and Training Centre for the Retarded, and Alex Taylor School.

            Person, Dennis
            PR1137 · Fonds · 1958-1972

            The fonds consists of the business records of Diamond-Clarke & Associates, and includes one sous-fonds, Edmonton Engineering Associates Limited sous-fonds, and two series: Project records and Administrative records. Diamond-Clarke & Associates projects included schools, churches, hospitals, commercial buildings, and hotels.

            Diamond-Clarke and Associates
            Erna Dominey fonds
            PR2861 · Fonds · 1991

            The fonds consists of recordings of interviews conducted by Erna Dominey in 1991 with the employees, friends, colleagues, and clients of the architectural firm of Jean Wallbridge and Mary Imrie including Trevor Edwards, Mickie Hollands, Ilse Koerner and Sabine Reich, Helen Peters, Dr. and Mrs. Leslie Wilcox, Gordon Wynn, Ray Gordon, Eleanor Cairns Everington, Brian Campbell Hope, Mrs. Margaret Millar, Mrs. Jean Ward, Mr. and Mrs. Sanford Fitch, Dan Kassian, Bernie Wood, Joan Hunt, and Dr. and Mrs. Judge.

            Dominey, Erna
            PR1726 · Fonds · 1940-1991

            The fonds consists of the records of Filmwest Associates (1983) Limited and includes films, and some film elements, produced and distributed by Filmwest Associated including Shooting Stars, a dramatization celebrating the Edmonton Grads women's basketball team (distributed by Filmwest), The Class of 1912, about the renovations of the University of Alberta Arts Building (produced by Filmwest), Frozen Music, about Douglas Cardinal and his architecture (produced by Filmwest); screenplays and story ideas from Tom Wood, Anne Wheeler (Cowboys Don't Cry), Francis Damberger, Harvey L. Spak and D.H. (Don) Scott; a shooting schedule for Cowboys Don't Cry; Filmwest Associates distribution catalogues and movie advertisements; a Western Canada Film and Video Showcase (WCFVA) Study prepared by Filmwest Associates and Karvonen Films; AMPIA (Alberta Motion Picture Industries Association) minutes (copies), correspondence, newsletters and programs; and assorted publications relating to the motion picture industry in Alberta and Canada, including a brief history of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC).

            Filmwest Associates (1983) Limited
            Franz Deggendorfer fonds
            PR1625 · Fonds · Copied 1985

            The fonds consists of photocopied records of Franz Deggendorfer, originally dating 1894 to 1916, of certificates, agreements, a notebook, a report by Franz regarding water works for Edmonton, correspondence and telegrams, primarily concerning to sale of some land in Edmonton, an interim homestead receipt, and an architectural plan and negative copies of plans for the St. Albert Cathedral.

            Deggendorfer, Franz
            George Heath MacDonald fonds
            PR0120 · Fonds · 1952-1954

            Fonds consists of drawings made by George Heath MacDonald during research for possible reconstruction of Fort Edmonton and the flyleaf from one of MacDonald’s books. The drawings were made from old photographs, maps, pictures and floor plans and originally appeared in two books by MacDonald entitled Fort Augustus – Edmonton and Edmonton – Fort, House and Factory.

            MacDonald, George Heath
            PR0201 · Fonds · Microfilmed 1967

            Fonds consists of microfilm copies of architectural drawings prepared by the firm of Howard and Robert Bouey and their predecessors, dating from 1819 until 1964. Included are plans for churches, school buildings, hospitals, warehouses, hotels, theatres, stores, banks, office buildings, apartment blocks and residences. The majority of these buildings were situated in Edmonton, although a number were located in other Alberta communities and a few were in locations outside of the province.

            Howard and Robert Bouey Architects
            J.M. Weinberger collection
            PR2038 · Collection · [190-?]-[ca. 1930]

            The collection consists of the front elevation and measured drawings of the Alberta Legislature (at the conceptual stage) and a measured drawing of the Bowker Building (Alberta Natural Resources Building) on 109th Street.

            Weinberger, J.M.
            John Imrie fonds
            PR1296 · Fonds · 1920-1939

            The fonds consists of speeches, articles, travel notes, specifications for a frame cottage at Kapasiwin, Alberta, and plans for alteration to his home on Connaught Drive and for his West Edmonton cottage.

            Imrie, John
            PR0121 · Fonds · 1904-1924

            Fonds consists of records of the Edmonton architectural firm of Magoon and MacDonald including business correspondence regarding constrictions and modifications to various structures and office buildings; detailed specifications for 13 Edmonton and vicinity projects including hotels and private residences; and 20 architectural plans and drawings, primarily of churches in and around Edmonton.

            Magoon and MacDonald Architects
            Marke Slipp fonds
            PR1988 · Fonds · 1968-2003

            The fonds consists of VHS and ¾” videotapes, 16mm and 35mm film release prints and film elements, ¼” reel to reel and cassette audiotapes and textual material regarding film productions that Marke Slipp worked on, mainly as film editor. Some of the productions include My Partners My People, Get Back the Night with Alberta singer/songwriter Connie Kaldor, Learning With Love about the Alex Taylor School in Edmonton, Sylvan Lake Summer, and Truckers: A Road Well Travelled. Also included are the film elements for the unfinished production, A Poet of Place, regarding architect Douglas Cardinal.

            Slipp, Marke
            PR2056 · Fonds · [ca. 1930 - 1978]

            The fonds consists of materials created and collected by Nicholas Wasyl Woywitka including photographs, licenses, and certificates related to Nicholas Wasyl Woywitka's medical career dating from the 1930s to the 1970s; geological, civic, and geographic maps of Alberta dating from the 1950s to the 1970s; and architectural plans for the Francis Manor in Bellamy Hill, Edmonton dating from the 1970s.

            Woywitka, Nicholas Wasyl
            PR1360 · Fonds · 1912-[ca.1975]

            The fonds consists of blueprints of the McLeod building in Edmonton, Alberta, designed by architect John K. Dow of Spokane, Washington, and copies of the blueprints made for renovation purposes.

            Oxford Development Group
            Peter Arends fonds
            PR3005 · Fonds · [ca. 1906] - 1969

            The fonds reflects Peter Arends professional occupation and consists of an oral history interview conducted with Cecil S. Burgess, the first head of the Department of Architecture at the University of Alberta in 1913. Peter Arends recorded the interview in 1969 while studying the history of architecture in Edmonton. The fonds also includes a photograph featuring the Alberta Association of Architects circa 1906.

            Arends, Peter
            Polaris Construction fonds
            PR1138 · Fonds · 1964-1973

            The fonds consists of records of Polaris Construction Limited, and includes correspondence and financial records

            Polaris Construction
            PR2904 · Fonds · 1955-1985

            The fonds consists of music sound recordings as well as architectural drawings from St. Joseph’s Seminary and Newman Theological College, Edmonton. The fonds has been arranged into two series to include the sound recordings and the architectural drawings.

            Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Edmonton
            Ronald Clarke fonds
            PR1133 · Fonds · 1954-1973

            The fonds includes 2 series: Aberhart Hospital records and Health Sciences Centre records. The fonds also includes the following: correspondence, news clippings, receipts, reports, articles, programs, seating plans, examinations, and specifications for the Provincial Auditoria, the Provincial Mental Hospital (Ponoka), the Alberta School for the Deaf, the Treasury Branch Building (Edmonton), and the Biology Wing, University of Alberta.

            Clarke, Ronald
            PR2566 · Fonds · [ca. 1930]

            The fonds consists of three architectural plans for the Edmonton Club buildings dating from ca. 1930 and produced by Rule Wynn and Rule.

            Rule, Wynn, and Rule Architects
            T. Bryan Campbell-Hope fonds
            PR0080 · Fonds · [1900] - 2000

            The fonds documents T. Bryan Campbell-Hope's architectural career and contains materials collected and created by T. Bryan Campbell-Hope. The fonds includes images of railroad locomotives and cars, and buildings in small towns in Alberta taken by T. Bryan Campbell-Hope dating from the 1950s to 1993; photographs of the S.S. Athabasca dating from ca. 1900; nine line negatives, five b&w photographic prints and seven mylar copies of architectural drawings of the Legislature Building by Alberta Department of Public Works dating from 1907; photos of architectural drawings of SAIT and the proposed University of Alberta Faculty of Physical Education building by T. Bryan Campbell-Hope dating from the 1970s; two original architectural ink and watercolor drawings of the Legislative Building and grounds by T. Bryan Campbell-Hope for the Alberta Department of Public Works dating from the 1970s; nine photographs and nine negatives featuring buildings T. Bryan Campbell-Hope designed in Edmonton Alberta taken in 2000; and architectural ink drawings of the Masonic Temple, Acme Bridge Company and the Legislative Building by L. Patrick Campbell-Hope dating from 1932-1933.

            Campbell-Hope, T. Bryan
            Ward family fonds
            PR0253 · Fonds · 1882-2004

            The fonds consists of records reflecting both the public and private lives of the Wards as children, friends, spouses, parents, students, teachers, potters and promoters of heritage. The records include personal photographs, university diplomas and report cards, personal and professional correspondence including letters of reference, household finances, sketches and arts magazines, immunization reports and medical insurance plans, a marriage certificate, obituaries and memorial booklets, and newspaper clippings.

            The fonds also includes a significant number of records created by Henry Ward related to both his own and Jean's genealogy and family histories. In particular, these records detail the contributions of Jean's parents A.P. and Mary Hanley to the town of Drumheller, Alberta, and Henry's uncle Samuel A. Dickson's contributions to the Rotary Club of Edmonton and Fort Edmonton Park. Types of records include diaries, birth and marriage certificates, obituaries, family trees, genealogical research and related correspondence, and transcribed oral history interviews.

            Lastly, the fonds includes contracts, plans, photographs, magazine articles and other records relating to the design and construction of the Ward home by Jean Wallbridge and Mary Imrie, the first partnership of women architects in Canada.

            Ward family
            PR2982.0016 · Series · 1960-1998
            Part of William (Bill) G. Milne fonds

            Milne was a prominent Calgary architect as well as a passionate environmentalist who developed his skills and interest in beautification projects. The series includes the following material: - Beautification at 50 Av. SW, 1988, site plan and prints - Downtown Traffic proposal, begun in 1960 - Downtown Tree project, begun in 1974, planting plans - Graves Bridge begun in 1992, drawings and prints - Nat Christie Park, 1984, drawings and prints - 9th Ave. CPR Beautification, begun in 1993, plan - Princess Obolensky Park, 1984, prints - Project 4 St - 9 Av. SW, begun in 1996 - Proposed Small Square, 9 Ave and 1 St E, 1989, plan - Rideau/ Roxborough Community Enhancement Plan, begun in 1973, site plans, floor plans, sections, sketches and prints - St Mary's Cathedral, 1989, proposed landscaping, sketches, prints - Sifton Boulevard Beautification and Traffic Calming project, begun in 1998, print, plans

            PR2982.0001 · Series · 1963-1998
            Part of William (Bill) G. Milne fonds

            The Calgary Tower, Calgary's most famous landmark and once tallest free-standing structure in Canada, was designed by Milne and officially opened on June 30, 1968. This 191 meter high structure from conception was known as Centennial Tower commemorating Canada's one hundredth anniversary. It was later known as Husky Tower after getting support from Husky Oil. The building with high speed elevators is topped by a revolving restaurant and an observation deck giving views of southern Alberta for more than 100 km in all directions. The unusual height and design of this structure presented many problems of planning, construction and storage. A suitable base was developed with concrete and tons of reinforced steel to support the tower. The column of the tower was built using a continual pour of concrete. Pouring began on May 15, 1967 and was completed 24 days later. At the time of construction, it was the tallest structure in Canada. The tower total weight is approximately 10,000 tons, of which 60%, or roughly 6,000 tons, is below ground. In 1988 a natural gas fired cauldron was constructed at the top. The flame in it served as the Olympic torch during the 1988 Winter Olympic Games and has been used to mark special occasions such as the Queen's 2005 visit. The tower is a founding member of the World Federation of Great Towers. Milne visited and studied several towers in the world before designing the one in Calgary, including the Eiffel Tower in Paris and the Space Needle in Seattle. The series consists of minutes of meetings, brochures, historical material, site plans, ground floor plans, elevations and cross sections, observation and restaurant plans.

            PR2982.0008 · Series · 1970-1990
            Part of William (Bill) G. Milne fonds

            The Fish Creek Provincial Park, located to the West of Calgary, is a regional recreational facility with preservation areas for wildlife. It was developed with public input supporting picnic areas, hiking trails, cross-country ski trails, skating rinks and swimming holes. The series consists of park outline, preliminary drawings, progress reports and briefings.

            PR2982.0009 · Series · 1975-2000
            Part of William (Bill) G. Milne fonds

            Bill Milne was a prominent Calgary architect and a passionate environmentalist. He had the idea to develop in the Kananaskis Valley a multi-use area where preservation, recreation and a working forest could co-exist harmoniously When the late Clarence Copithorne, then Minister of Highways in the Peter Lougheed government, unveiled a plan to create a paved highway into the Kananaskis Valley, Milne challenged the government to hold a meaningful public consultation process. In the 1960s, Clarence Copithorne had witnessed the growing impact of Calgarians looking for recreational opportunities in the foothills, and the pressure this placed on local ranchlands. Copithorne agreed with the public consultation, and more than 48,000 Albertans responded to a survey about the future development of the area, most coming out in favour of creating a park. Consequently Milne and Copithorne secured the support of Premier Peter Lougheed after a helicopter flight over the valley demonstrated Lougheed the need to conserve a large part of the eastern slopes. Milne made a significant contribution to the plan for what is now Kananaskis Country by developing in the 1970s a proposal for a large multi-use area. The main goal was to protect wildlife and the ecological integrity of the area as well as to prevent commercial development from dominating this area. Milne carried out the project on the same basis as the Fish Creek Park, with public input and participation. On September 22, 1978, Premier Lougheed officially dedicated Kananaskis Country as a multi-use area, balancing recreation and commercial opportunities with the protection of watersheds, wildlife habitat and landscapes. The provincial park also dedicated at that time was renamed Peter Lougheed Provincial Park in January 1986. Located a half-hour west of Calgary, nearly two-thirds of the 4,200 square kilometre area in Kananaskis Country is now protected as a park, ecological reserve or recreation area. About 75 million visitors from Alberta and abroad have experienced the spectacular landscapes and wildlife in Kananaskis Country. The Evan-Thomas Alpine Village, designed by Milne, is a low density self-contained village, out of view, well removed from the Evan-Thomas creek and having no impact on the environment in any significant way. The trail running from the Evan-Thomas Recreation area into the Spray Lakes Provincial Park, formerly known as the Evan-Thomas Bike Trail, was recently renamed Bill Milne Trail. The series consists mainly of records related to the Evan Thomas Alpine Village (correspondence, information and reports on the Kananaskis area, proposals, audience records, environmental impact information, policies, brochures, site plan, perspectives, sketches, golf course material, aerial photographs) and to the Kananaskis Alpine Villages (correspondence, site evaluations, location plan). The series also includes the elevation and detail drawings of an exterior 1997-1999 sculpture held at the Trans Canadian Trail pavilion.

            PR2982.0007 · Series · 1955-2003
            Part of William (Bill) G. Milne fonds

            The series includes records and plans of buildings, in addition to several private houses: - Block 64 with design started in 1987 (floor plans) - Bradie Development with design started in 1965 and again in 1973 (elevations, floor plans, plumbing, electrical and structural drawings) - Calgary Visual Arts Centre with design started in 1994 (architectural plans) - Centre Point Office Building with design started in 1974 (perspectives, floor plans, sections, elevations) - Ford Tower with design started in 1971 (architectural, structural, mechanical, electrical drawings) - French Petroleum Building with design started in 1960 (schedules, floor plans, elevations, sections, architectural, structural, mechanical, electrical drawings) - Lennard Corporation Apartment started in 1982 (survey and vicinity plans, elevations and sections) - Mission Apartment with design started in 1982 (general file, financial records, public hearing material, specifications, luxury amenities) - Mount Royal College downtown Campus with design started in 1989 (sketches) - Northstar Building with design started in 1988 (floor plans and details) - Project 700 with design started in 1980 (plans) - Rideau Condominium with design started in 1971 (site plan) - Rideau Towers Apartments with design started in 1961 (floor plans, foundation plans, elevations and sections) - Roxborough House with design started in 1963 (architectural plans, electrical drawings, details) - Telus Building Concept 7 Av. SW with design started in 2001 (description of concept and site plan) - Triad Building with design started in 1955 (floor plans and details) - Varsity Meadows with design started in 1994 (site plan) - Westburne Building with design started in 1981 (sketches, perspective) - Winchester Apartments with design started in 1967 (proposal, perspective)

            PR2982.0015 · Series · 1983-2000
            Part of William (Bill) G. Milne fonds

            The Universal Lifesaver project is a fire escape device allowing for individual evacuation from a high rise building in the instance of a fire. This escape mechanism included a vertically disposed hollow rail and at least one rack disposed within the rail. Milne developed and patented this emergency means of egress from buildings. The series includes brochures, reports, correspondence, conceptual sketches and prints of the Universal Lifesaver mechanism.

            W.G. Milne, Bowlen Building
            PR2982.0002 · Series · 1965-1974
            Part of William (Bill) G. Milne fonds

            The Bowlen Building in downtown Calgary holds now several departments of the Government of Alberta, including the Lands Titles office. The building was named in the memory of John J. Bowlen who was a Calgary MLA foe 14 years, House Leader for the Liberal Party in 1936 and 1937, and Lieutenant Governor of Alberta from 1950 to his death in 1959. The series consists of surveys, site plans, perspectives, floor plans, wall sections, elevations, stair details, entrance details, parking drawings, other family courts plans and Land Titles plans, and plans of the Bowlen Building Annex started in October 1974.

            PR2982.0003 · Series · 1979-1983
            Part of William (Bill) G. Milne fonds

            Monenco Place, internally known as Project 34, at 801-6 Avenue SW, was built in Calgary in 1982. The building has 28 floors and 251 parking stalls. It was recognized in 1987 as "Building of the Year". The series consists of contracts, specifications, perspectives, core plans, floor plans, elevations, sections, progress charts, structural, mechanical and electrical drawings, landscape drawings.

            PR2982.0006 · Series · 1968-1977
            Part of William (Bill) G. Milne fonds

            Milne designed in 1968 the University of Calgary Library Extension and later in 1971 another University of Calgary Library Extension consisting of a six floor addition and penthouse. The records include records relating to the Library Extension started in 1968 (comprising correspondence, preliminary studies, perspectives, site plans, schedules, floor plans, elevations, sections, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, heating and air conditioning drawings) as well as records relating to the Library Extension started in 1971 (site plans, schedules, perspectives, elevations, sections, electrical, mechanical and structural drawings). The series includes also correspondence on design and building issues following construction.

            PR2982.0004 · Series · 1992-1997
            Part of William (Bill) G. Milne fonds

            This series includes files on the Crowchild Trail Pedestrian Bridge, the Nose Creek Bridge and the Sappers Bridge. The Crowchild Trail Pedestrian Bridge is located under Crowchild Trail above the Bow River and was completed in 1997. This pedestrian bridge is 148 metres in length and 2.9 metres wide. Milne developed bridges as part of his beautification interest. The series consists of records relating to the Crowchild Trail Pedestrian Bridge (comprising contracts, minutes of meetings, plans, elevations, prints), relating to the Nose Creek Bridge (comprising plans, elevations, sections) and relating to the Sappers Bridge (comprising plans, elevations, sections, prints).

            PR2982 · Fonds · 1955-2003

            The fonds consists of W. G. Milne Architect operational records, prints and drawings of Western Canadian buildings, including Calgary buildings as well as structures built in the Kananaskis Country which was basically a concept developed by W. G. Milne.

            The fonds has been arranged into the following 16 series: - Centennial Tower, later Husky and now Calgary Tower - Bowlen Building, Calgary - Monenco Place, Calgary - Bridges, including the Crowchild Trail Pedestrian Bridge, the Nose Creek Bridge and the Sappers Bridge - Mini Max Development, Calgary - University of Calgary Library Extension - Other Calgary buildings - Fish Creek Provincial Park - Kananaskis development, including the Evan Thomas Alpine Village and the Kananaskis Alpine Villages - Gondola Lift, Jasper - Saxony Motor Hotel, Edmonton - Caravan Motor Hotels, Western Canada - Other Canadian buildings - Sunset Esplanade, San Francisco - The Universal Lifesaver concept - Beautification and traffic reducing projects.

            This arrangement is based on the record keeping practice of the company. The material for each building includes operational records and drawings created from the preliminary to the final stages of construction. Operational records consist of agreements, minutes of meetings, correspondence, proposals, project descriptions, engineering reports, guidelines and specifications, overview reports, progress reports, financial files, beautification reports, traffic and parking reports, news releases and promotional material. Architectural drawings comprise site plans, sketches, perspectives, floor plans, elevations, sections, electrical, plumbing, heating, lighting, mechanical and air conditioning drawings, window, door and stair details. Preliminary, final and revised drawings found in the series document the development of the building.

            Milne, William G.
            PR1863 · Fonds · 1983

            The fonds consists of records created by William C. Rutledge Architects Limited as part of a study for the City of Edmonton and includes images of the Alberta Hotel (built 1903) on Jasper Avenue in Edmonton, Alberta as well as images of a model of the hotel and neighbouring buildings; the images were to have been used to panelize the walls which would then be used in a new construction. The Alberta Hotel was dismantled in 1984 and replaced by Canada Place.

            William C. Rutledge Architects