Fonds PR2265 - Camrose County fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Camrose County fonds

General material designation

    Parallel title

    Other title information

    Title statements of responsibility

    Title notes

    • Source of title proper: Title based on the content of the records.

    Level of description

    Fonds

    Reference code

    PR2265

    Edition area

    Edition statement

    Edition statement of responsibility

    Class of material specific details area

    Statement of scale (cartographic)

    Statement of projection (cartographic)

    Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

    Statement of scale (architectural)

    Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

    Dates of creation area

    Date(s)

    • 1912 - 2012 (Creation)

    Physical description area

    Physical description

    15.01 m of textual records. -- 11 maps

    Publisher's series area

    Title proper of publisher's series

    Parallel titles of publisher's series

    Other title information of publisher's series

    Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

    Numbering within publisher's series

    Note on publisher's series

    Archival description area

    Name of creator

    Administrative history

    Located within the boundary of Township 45, Range 20, West of the 4th Meridian (45-30-W4), Camrose County includes the following urban municipalities: the Town of Bashaw, the Village of Bawlf, the Village of Bittern Lake, the Village of Edberg, the Village of Ferintosh, the Village of Hay Lakes, the Village of New Norway, and the Village of Rosalind. Camrose County also includes the following hamlets/urban service areas: Armena, Duhamel, Kelsey, Kingman, Meeting Creek, Ohaton, Pelican Point, Round Hill, and Tillicum Beach.

    In 1884, the Northwest Territorial Council passed the Municipal Ordinance, allowing for the establishment of local government. In response to this ordinance, many townships -- typically comprised of 36 sections of land --, organized to form herd districts (1883), fire districts (1886), and statute labor districts (1887). In 1897, all three ordinances amalgamated with the passing of the Local Improvement Ordinance. Local Improvement Districts maintained public works such as road building, management of fires, noxious fumes, and animals. A 1903 amendment of the Local Improvement Ordinance allowed Local Improvement Districts to include between 3 and 6 townships.

    In 1912, with the Passing of the Rural Municipality Act, the Province of Alberta created the Department of Municipal Affairs. The Act allowed 9 townships to apply for incorporation as a rural municipality as long as the land contained 1 person/square mile. Under this provision some Local Improvement Districts organized as municipalities while others chose to continue as Local Improvement Districts. In 1918, the Government of Alberta required the organization of all Local Improvement Districts into Municipalities with the Municipal Districts Act.

    The municipal history of Camrose County began in 1912 when Local Improvement District No. 426 formed. In 1918, Local Improvement District No. 426 became the Municipal District of Melrose No. 426.

    In 1912, Local Improvement District No. 427 formed. In 1918, Local Improvement District No. 427 became the Municipal District of Evergreen No. 427.

    In 1912, Local Improvement District No. 456 formed. In 1918, Local Improvement District No. 456 became the Municipal District of Parkland No. 456.

    In 1912, Local Improvement District No. 457 formed. In 1917, Local Improvement District No. 457 became the Municipal District of Lloyd George No. 457.

    In 1914, the Village of Chaton and the Village of Heisler formed.

    In 1944, the Municipal District of Melrose No. 426, the Municipal District of Evergreen No. 427, parts of the Municipal District of Parkland No. 456, the Municipal District of Lloyd George No. 457, the Village of Chaton and the Village Heisler merged to become the Municipal District of Camrose No. 427. In 1945, the Municipal District of Camrose No. 427 renumbered as the Municipal District of Camrose No. 63. In 1948, 1952, 1954, and 1955 the boundaries of the Municipal District of Camrose No. 63 changed. In 1955, the Municipal District of Camrose No. 63 incorporated as the County of Camrose No. 22. In 2005, the County of Camrose No. 22 became Camrose County.

    Custodial history

    Scope and content

    The fonds consists of minutes, tax and assessment rolls, cashbooks and disbursements, by-laws of the local authorities of Camrose County dating from 1912 – 1956.

    The fonds also includes minutes, tax rolls and assessments of the Camrose School Division No. 20, Chaton School District No. 1562 and Melville School District No. 739 (NW 16-44-18-W4, 1902 – 1944) dating from 1925 to 1958. As well, there is a historical survey about the schools in the Camrose County outlining the history of the founding of each school and the changes it had gone through from founding to the 1950’s.

    In addition, the fonds contains eleven county maps illustrating land boundaries dating from 1987 to 2012.

    Notes area

    Physical condition

    Immediate source of acquisition

    Camrose County donated material to the Provincial Archives of Alberta in 1970, 1987, 1994, 1996, 1998, and 2012.

    Arrangement

    Language of material

      Script of material

        Language and script note

        The material is in English.

        Location of originals

        Availability of other formats

        Restrictions on access

        Access Conditions: None

        Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

        Use Conditions: Permission for use required. Subject to the Copyright Act.

        Finding aids

        Some file lists are available.

        Associated materials

        For more material on school records in Alberta, please see other county and school division fonds at the Provincial Archives of Alberta.

        Related materials

        Accruals

        Further accruals are expected.

        General note

        Information for the administrative history/biographical sketch sourced from:

        Municipal Profiles, http://www.municipalaffairs.gov.ab.ca/mc\_municipal\_profiles.cfm (Accessed November 13, 2013)

        Eric J. Hanson, Local Government in Alberta, Toronto: McClelland & Stewart, 1956.

        Bert Wolfe, Understanding Western Canada’s Land Survey System, Saskatchewan UP, 1978.

        William Peter Baergen, Pioneering with a Piece of Chalk: The One-Room Country Schools of Alberta 1885-1982, Library and Archives Canada, 2005.

        Land descriptions described according to the Alberta Township System (ATS).

        General note

        Includes accessions PR1970.0096, PR1970.0425, PR1987.0381, PR1998.0895, PR1994.0208, PR1996.0022, PR2012.0529, and PR2012.0530.

        Alternative identifier(s)

        Standard number

        Standard number

        Access points

        Place access points

        Name access points

        Genre access points

        Control area

        Description record identifier

        Institution identifier

        Rules or conventions

        Status

        Level of detail

        Dates of creation, revision and deletion

        Language of description

          Script of description

            Sources

            Accession area