Fonds PR0223 - Canadian Girl Guides Association, Alberta Council fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Canadian Girl Guides Association, Alberta Council fonds

General material designation

    Parallel title

    Other title information

    Title statements of responsibility

    Title notes

    • Source of title proper: Title based on the content of the records.

    Level of description

    Fonds

    Reference code

    PR0223

    Edition area

    Edition statement

    Edition statement of responsibility

    Class of material specific details area

    Statement of scale (cartographic)

    Statement of projection (cartographic)

    Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

    Statement of scale (architectural)

    Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

    Dates of creation area

    Date(s)

    • 1924-1967 (Creation)

    Physical description area

    Physical description

    1.01 m of textual records and other material

    Publisher's series area

    Title proper of publisher's series

    Parallel titles of publisher's series

    Other title information of publisher's series

    Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

    Numbering within publisher's series

    Note on publisher's series

    Archival description area

    Name of creator

    Administrative history

    The Girl Guide movement began in the United Kingdom in 1909, as an offshoot of Lord Robert Baden-Powell's Boy Scouts. It began as a series of games used by young people to learn and explore the countryside around them and was introduced to Canada in 1910.

    By 1912 the Girl Guide movement was established in most parts of the country and in 1913 the first officers were warranted in Alberta. Although Guiding had a slow start in Alberta, it gained momentum after Lord and Lady Baden-Powell visited the province in 1923. In 1929 the formal provincial organization took place in Calgary after Lady Rodney was appointed Provincial Commissioner.

    The Guiding movement expanded over the next decade and by 1937 it had five Divisions and over 60 Companies and Packs. In the late 1940s the first permanent campsite, Tangletrees, came into existence. In 1950 a permanent headquarters for the Alberta Council of the Canadian Girl Guides Association was established in an unused war service building in Edmonton. Since that time several regional offices and headquarters have opened in Calgary, Red Deer and Lethbridge. After 1961, the Canadian Girl Guides Association became known as Girl Guides of Canada.

    Today, Girl Guides of Canada promotes the emotional, physical, intellectual and spiritual well being of girls and women.

    Custodial history

    Scope and content

    Fonds consists of records pertaining to the Girl Guide movement in general, as well as records of the Canadian Girl Guides Association, Alberta Council. These records include newspaper clippings, published material, minutes, reports, directories, correspondence, diaries, photographs, postcards, negatives and posters. The fonds has been divided into the following series: Newspaper clippings; Published material; Periodicals; Annual Reports; Business records; Correspondence; Camps and Scrapbooks; Lone Guides; Photographs; Miscellaneous records.

    Notes area

    Physical condition

    Immediate source of acquisition

    The Canadian Girl Guides Association, Alberta Council deposited records with the Provincial Archives of Alberta in 1968. In 1980, Margaret Stearman deposited more records of the Canadian Girl Guides Association, Alberta Council with the Archives.

    Arrangement

    Arrangement note: Within each series a chronological arrangement has been followed, except in the Correspondence series, which is arranged alphabetically.

    Language of material

      Script of material

        Location of originals

        Availability of other formats

        Restrictions on access

        Access Conditions: None

        Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

        Use Conditions: Permission for use required. Subject to the Copyright Act.

        Finding aids

        File list is available.

        Associated materials

        Other records pertaining to the Canadian Girl Guides Association are located in accession PR1994.0041 at the Provincial Archives of Alberta.

        Related materials

        Accruals

        Further accruals are not expected.

        General note

        Most of the information in the Administrative history was obtained from the Girl Guides of Canada web-site at http://www.girlguides.ca/fun/fun-history.htm, accessed on November 1, 2001.

        General note

        Includes the following accessions:

        PR1980.0367
        PR1968.0073

        Physical description

        Also includes ca. 220 photographs, 22 postcards, 31 negatives and 18 posters.

        Alternative identifier(s)

        Standard number

        Standard number

        Access points

        Place access points

        Name access points

        Genre access points

        Control area

        Description record identifier

        Institution identifier

        Rules or conventions

        Status

        Level of detail

        Dates of creation, revision and deletion

        Language of description

          Script of description

            Sources

            Accession area