Fonds PR2324 - County of Vermilion River fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

County of Vermilion River fonds

General material designation

    Parallel title

    Other title information

    Title statements of responsibility

    Title notes

    • Source of title proper: Title based on the content of the records.

    Level of description

    Fonds

    Reference code

    PR2324

    Edition area

    Edition statement

    Edition statement of responsibility

    Class of material specific details area

    Statement of scale (cartographic)

    Statement of projection (cartographic)

    Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

    Statement of scale (architectural)

    Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

    Dates of creation area

    Date(s)

    • 1907-1984 (Creation)

    Physical description area

    Physical description

    48.00 m of textual records and other material

    Publisher's series area

    Title proper of publisher's series

    Parallel titles of publisher's series

    Other title information of publisher's series

    Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

    Numbering within publisher's series

    Note on publisher's series

    Archival description area

    Name of creator

    Administrative history

    Located in the boundary of Township 51, Range 4, West of the Fourth Meridian (51-4-W4), the County of Vermilion River includes the following urban municipalities: the town of Vermilion, the Village of Dewberry, the Village of Kitscoty, the Village of Marwayne, and the Village of Paradise Valley. The County of Vermilion River also includes the following hamlets/urban service areas: Blackfoot, Clandonald, Islay, McLaughlin, Rivercourse, Streamstown, and Tulliby Lake.

    In 1883, the Northwest Territorial Council passed the Municipal Ordinance, allowing for the establishment of local government areas. In response to this ordinance, many townships -- typically comprised of 36 sections of land --, organized to form herd districts (1883), fire districts (1886), and statute labor districts (1887). In 1897, all three ordinances amalgamated with the passing of the Local Improvement Ordinance. Local improvement districts maintained public works such as road building, management of fires, noxious fumes, and animals. A 1903 amendment of the Local Improvement Ordinance allowed local improvement districts to include between 3 and 6 townships.

    In 1912, with the passing of the Rural Municipality Act, the Province of Alberta created the Department of Municipal Affairs. The Act allowed 9 townships to apply for incorporation as a rural municipality as long as the land contained 1 person/square mile. Under this provision some local improvement districts organized as municipalities while others chose to continue as local improvement districts. In 1918, the Government of Alberta required the organization of all local improvement districts into municipalities with the Municipal Districts Act.

    The municipal history of Vermilion River began in 1913 when large Local Improvement District No. 451 formed. In 1914, Local Improvement District No. 451 became the Municipal District of Merton No. 451. In 1942, part of the Municipal District of Merton No. 451 merged with the Municipal District of Wainwright No. 392. In 1913, Local Improvement District No. 452 formed. In 1913, Local Improvement District No. 452 became the Municipal District of Grizzly Bear No. 452. In 1942, a portion of the Municipal District of Grizzly Bear No. 452 merged with the Municipal District of Wainwright No. 392. In 1912, Local Improvement District No. 481 formed. In 1912, Local Improvement District No. 481 became the Municipal District of Vermilion River No. 450. In 1912, Local Improvement District No. 482 formed. In 1913, Local Improvement District No. 482 became the Municipal District of Vermilion No. 482. In 1912, the Municipal District of Streamstown formed. In 1912, Local Improvement District No. 512 formed. In 1918, Local Improvement District No. 512 became the Municipal District of Ethelwyn. In 1912, the Municipal District of Wellington No. 481 formed. In 1944, the Municipal Districts of Merton No. 451, Grizzly Bear No. 452, Wellington No. 481, Vermilion Valley No. 482, Streamstown No. 511 and Ethelwyn No. 512 merged to become the Municipal District of Vermilion River No. 450. In 1945, the Municipal District of Vermilion River No. 450 renumbered as the Municipal District of Vermilion River No. 71. In 1964, the Municipal District of Vermillion River No. 71 incorporated as the County of Vermillion River No. 24. In 2006, the Lieutenant Governor in Council changed the name of the County of Vermilion River No. 24 to the County of Vermilion River.

    Custodial history

    Scope and content

    The fonds consists of ledgers, minute books, loan books, assessment and tax rolls, soldier's home property returns, tax consolidation records, rent book and seed grain advances, correspondence, payroll, cashbooks, receipts, of the following local authorities of the County of Vermilion River:

    • Local Improvement District No. 24-A-4
    • Local Improvement District No. 25-C-4
    • Local Improvement District No. 26-B-4
    • Municipal District of Merton No. 451
    • Municipal District of Grizzly Bear No. 452
    • Municipal District of Wellington No. 481
    • Municipal District of Vermilion Valley No. 482
    • Municipal District of Streamstown No. 511, and
    • Municipal District of Ethelwyn No. 512,

    The fonds also includes 15 county maps indicating land ownership, boundary changes, and statute work. In addition, the fonds also includes five images of the Alberta Association Districts Convention dating from the 1950's.

    The fonds includes assessment and tax rolls, cash books, and disbursements of the of the following school districts:

    • Allandale #1652: 16-52-5-W4, 1907 - 1954
    • Allister #2506 (Rivercourse): NW-3-47-1-W4, 1911 - 1951
    • Battleview #1715: 16-47-6-W4, 1907 - 1954
    • Bellcamp # 2227: SW 4-53-2-W4, 1910 - 1953
    • Blackfoot #1623: NE 1-50-2-W4, 1907 - ?
    • Bowtell #1432: NE 36-50-6-W4, 1905 - 1946
    • Bridstow #3488: SE 1-52-4-W4, 1917- 1954
    • Brockville #4646: SW 30-48-6-W4, 1934 - ?
    • Burkedale #3922: SE 28-53-3-W4, 1920 - ?
    • Carleton #3416: SW 11-50-7-W4, 1916 - 1944
    • Cheviot Hills #3525:NE 7-48-2-W4, 1917 - 1953
    • Clandonald #4336: SW 17-53-5-W4, 1928 - ?
    • Clare #2995: SE 6-47-3-W4, 1913 - ?
    • Clear Range #4158: NE 36-52-2-W4, 1922 - ?
    • Crosslynde #3363: SW 29-46-1-W4, 1916 - 1947
    • Crown Hill #4166: NE 23-53-2-W4, 1923 - 1954
    • Devonia Lake #3875: NW 8-49-1-W4, 1919 - 1954
    • Dewberry #4446: SW 21-53-4-W4, 1929 - ?
    • Durness #1806: NE 10-51-1-W4, 1908 - 1956
    • Elgin #1895: NW 29-53-2-W4, 1908 - 1947
    • Ellsworth #1933: SE 7-55-4-W4, 1909 - ?
    • Farlie #3465: ?
    • Fenham #3895: SW 29-51-2-W4, 1919 - ?
    • Flowerdale #1726: NE 9-50-2-W4, 1907 - 1959
    • Ganton #2058: NE 15-48-5-W4, 1909 - 1952
    • Gap Lake #3997: NE 3-51-5-W4, 1920 - 1941
    • Golden Valley #2514: NE 22 -48-1-W4, 1911 - 1949
    • Grainview #4177: SW 2-52-1-W4, 1923 - 1953
    • Hazeldine #1829: NW 13-53-4-W4, 1908 - 1960
    • Holyrood #2596: NW 7-51-4-W4, 1911 - 1947
    • Irwinville #1937: SW 19-52-3-W4, 1909 - 1959
    • Island Hill #2642: 19-51-5-W4, 1912 - ?
    • Islay #1673: NW 9-51-4-W4, 1907 - 1947
    • Jumbo Hill #2600: SW 21-53-1-W4, 1911 - 1961
    • King Edwards #1719: SE 19-52-6-W4, 1907 - ?
    • Kinnaird #2530: NW 16-49-3-W4, 1911 - 1960
    • Kitscoty #1624: 23-50-3-W4, 1907 - ?
    • Millerdale #1764: SE 4-51-2-W4, 1908 - 1944
    • Morrison #1639: NE 22-51-5-W4, 1907 - 1946
    • Myrtle Hill #3942: SW 14-51-3-W4, 1920 - 1944
    • Northern Star #3092: NW 19-55-5-W4, 1914 - 1955
    • Oxville #3454: NW 3-46-2-W4, 1917 - ?
    • Paradise Valley #1750: SE 31-47-7-W4, 1908 - ?
    • Paradise Valley Village #4424 (Paradise Valley): 30-46-2-W4, 1929 - ?
    • Park Valley #3262: NE 3-45-1-W4, 1915 - 1947
    • Poplar Heights #2117: SE 29-51-6-W4, 1910 - ?
    • Streamstown #1532: NE 23-51-2-W4, 1906 - 1933
    • Sunnydale #1594: NW 35-47-1-W4, 1907 - 1976
    • Trimbleville #1825: NW 4-52-4-W4, 1908 - ?
    • Tring #1809: SW 2-53-3-W4, 1908 - 1952
    • Turkey Hill #2211: 1-50-6-W4, 1910 - 1942
    • Vanesti #3310: NW 22-47-4-W4, 1915 - 1957, and
    • Winona #1927: 26-46-2-W4, 1909 - 1943.

    Notes area

    Physical condition

    Immediate source of acquisition

    In 1969, 1973, and 1996 the County of Vermilion River donated material to the Provincial Archives of Alberta.

    Arrangement

    Language of material

      Script of material

        Language and script note

        The material is in English.

        Location of originals

        Availability of other formats

        Restrictions on access

        Access Conditions: Subject to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.

        Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

        Use Conditions: Permission for use required. Subject to the Copyright Act.

        Finding aids

        File list is not available.

        Associated materials

        For more material on school records in Alberta, please see other county and school district fonds descriptions at the Provincial Archives of Alberta.

        Related materials

        Accruals

        Further accruals are not expected.

        General note

        Information for the administrative history/biographical sketch sourced from: Municipal Profiles, http://www.municipalaffairs.gov.ab.ca/cfml/profiles/index.cfm (Oct. 1, 2007). Eric J. Hanson, Local Government in Alberta, Toronto: McClelland & Stewart, 1956. Bert Wolfe, Understanding Western Canada's Land Survey System, Saskatchewan UP, 1978. William Peter Baergen, Pioneering with a Piece of Chalk: The One-Room Country Schools of Alberta 1885-1982, Toronto: 2005. Land described according to the Alberta Township System (ATS).

        General note

        Includes accessions PR1996.0162, PR1969.0150 and PR1973.0339.

        Physical description

        The fonds also includes 18 maps, 3 photographs, and 1 plan.

        Alternative identifier(s)

        Standard number

        Standard number

        Access points

        Place access points

        Name access points

        Genre access points

        Control area

        Description record identifier

        Institution identifier

        Rules or conventions

        Status

        Level of detail

        Dates of creation, revision and deletion

        Language of description

          Script of description

            Sources

            Accession area