Fonds PR0644 - Edmonton Journal fonds

Zone du titre et de la mention de responsabilité

Title proper

Edmonton Journal fonds

Dénomination générale des documents

    Parallel title

    Other title information

    Title statements of responsibility

    Notes du titre

    • Source du titre propre: Title based on the content of the records.

    Niveau de description




    Zone de l'édition

    Edition statement

    Edition statement of responsibility

    Zone des précisions relatives à la catégorie de documents

    Statement of scale (cartographic)

    Statement of projection (cartographic)

    Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

    Statement of scale (architectural)

    Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

    Zone des dates de production


    • 1905-1989 (Création/Production)

    Zone de description matérielle

    Physical description

    ca. 13,000 negatives and other material

    Zone de la collection

    Title proper of publisher's series

    Parallel titles of publisher's series

    Other title information of publisher's series

    Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

    Numbering within publisher's series

    Note on publisher's series

    Zone de la description archivistique

    Nom du producteur

    Histoire administrative

    In 1903 John MacPherson, Arthur Moore, and J.W. Cunningham founded The Edmonton Evening Journal in Edmonton, Alberta. Shortly into its run, The Journal acquired the Edmonton Post, a semi-weekly newspaper, and resultantly, the Edmonton Journal grew from four pages to six. First Street and 101A Avenue first housed The Journal headquarters but the office moved in 1905 to a leased space in a one-story building on the corner of 102 Avenue and 101 Street, former site of the Tegler Building; in 1921 The Journal moved to its present location at 101st Street and 100th Avenue.

    In 1909 Macpherson, Moore, and Cunningham sold The Journal to John P. McConnell of Vancouver, British Columbia, who in turn sold it to J.H. Woods of Calgary, Alberta. Woods hired Milton Robbins Jennings to manage and edit the paper. In 1912, the Southam family bought The Journal for $500,000.00. In the same year, Jennings hired A. Balmer Watt, editor and owner of the Edmonton Capital to serve as associate editor, and throughout the editorial pages, Watt and Balmer championed women's rights. In 1921, John Mills Imrie became managing director and appointed Watt editor-in-chief.

    In 1921, The Journal erected a 23-metre radio tower above the Edmonton Journal building; on May 1, 1922 the newspaper launched CJCA, Alberta's first radio station. The Journal also won the first Pulitzer Prize awarded outside the United States on May 2, 1938 for its campaign against government attempts to control publishing. That year, the Social Credit government attempted to pass the Accurate News and Information Act, which stipulated that when a newspaper criticized the government or printed material criticizing government, each newspaper in the province would be compelled to print the government's rebuttal, if a government official demanded such a publication.

    In 1948, The Journal's printers went on strike, and The Edmonton Journal and Edmonton Bulletin -- The Journal's competition -- issued joint publications until January 2, 1948. The Edmonton Bulletin ceased publishing on January 20, 1951 and until the Edmonton Sun appeared on April 2, 1978, The Journal remained Edmonton's only newspaper.

    In 1980 The Journal opened its Eastgate production plant equipped with newspaper offset presses capable of producing colour ads and photographs. On September 2 of the same year The Journal added a morning edition, and on April 8, 1985 The Journal ended its nightly edition. In 1988 construction began on a new office complex and the building officially opened on September 3, 1991.

    Historique de la conservation

    Portée et contenu

    Fonds consists of the records of the Edmonton Journal and includes advertising staff manuals, agreements, bank books, booklets regarding the Alberta newspaper industry, budgets, certificates, a circulation register, classified ads order slips, computer advertising catalogues, correspondence, court transcripts, Dominion Law Reports, feasibility studies, financial records, historical and biographical sketches, itineraries, journal and magazine articles, memorandum, minutes, newspaper clippings, notes, notices, operations manuals, pamphlets, plans, press releases, programmes, radio transcripts, receipts, reports, returned cheques, speeches, telegrams, trophy deeds of gift, and photographs and negatives depicting various people, places, buildings, events, industries, animals, construction sites, celebrities, natural disasters, and scenes in Alberta, mainly the Edmonton area dating from 1905-1989. Fonds also includes oral histories of Frederick Watt, Don MacDougall, and Don Getty.

    Zone des notes

    État de conservation

    Source immédiate d'acquisition

    The records in the Edmonton Journal fonds were deposited in the Provincial Archives of Alberta in various accessions, over a number of years, by various individuals working for the Edmonton Journal newspaper. Accession PR1966.128 was deposited in the Archives in 1966 by the editor and accessions PR1969.052 and PR1969.115 were deposited in 1969, the first by Ross Munro, the publisher, and the second by the librarian. Accession PR1972.229 was deposited by Mrs. Forsyth, the librarian, in 1972 and accession PR1973.078 and PR1973.112 were deposited in 1973, the first by Dave Colville, the photo editor, and the second was purchased by the Provincial Archives. Accessions PR1978.078 and PR1978.223 were deposited in 1978, the first by Darlene Peter, of the Photo Department, and the second by Mike Vann, the photo editor. Accession PR1980.343 was deposited in 1980 by Mike Dean, the photo editor, accession PR1981.231 was deposited in 1981 by Jim Cochrane, of the Photo Department, and accession PR1982.236 was deposited in 1982 by Cheryl Shoji, of the Photo Department. Accessions PR1984.039 and PR1984.173 were deposited in 1984, the first by Cheryl Shoji, of the Photo Department, and the second by Stephen Hume, the editor. Editor Stephen Hume donated Accessions PR1986.018, PR1986.403, PR1987.234, PR1987.308, PR1989.210, and PR1989.372. PR1986.018 and PR1986.403 were deposited in 1986, PR1987.234 and PR1987.308 were deposited in 1987, and PR1989.210 and PR1989.403 were deposited in 1989. Some of the records from accessions PR1972.229, PR1973.078, PR1978.078, PR1978.223, PR1980.343, PR1981.231, and PR1986.403 may have been transferred to other institutions or to the Provincial Archives of Alberta reference library. A number of photographs from PR1973.078, PR1978.078, PR1978.223, PR1980.343, and PR1981.231 were transferred to the University of Alberta Archives in Edmonton, Alberta. Accession PR1972.045 was received from the Edmonton Journal Obituary File in 1972 and was amalgamated with accession PR1986.540 in 1987. Ramona Rizzi donated material comprising accession PR2006.0246


    Accession PR1973.078 is arranged chronologically by month, beginning in January, 1965 and ending in December, 1970.

    Language of material

      Script of material

        Language and script note

        The material is in English.

        Location of originals

        Availability of other formats

        Restrictions on access

        Access Conditions: Some records are restricted.

        Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

        Use Conditions: Permission for use required. Subject to the Copyright Act.

        Finding aids

        Some file lists are available.

        Associated materials

        Other records related to the Edmonton Journal can be found in accessions PR1963.0008, PR1967.0274, PR1969.0268, PR1969.0342, PR1984.0412, PR1988.0141, PR1992.0261, and PR1995.0008

        Other records pertaining to the Edmonton Journal fonds can be found in the Edmonton Journal Yukon photographs collection at the Yukon Archives, in Whitehorse, Yukon.


        Further accruals are not expected.

        General note

        Negatives and photographs from this fonds can be found in J file under location numbers J.0001-J.5295. Information for the administrative history was taken from the Edmonton Journal website, located at ,and the Canadian Encyclopedia, and The Edmonton Journal 17 July, 2006.

        General note

        Includes the following accessions:


        Description matérielle

        Fonds also includes ca. 870 photographs, 0.82 m of textual records, and 9 audio reels.

        Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)

        Standard number

        Standard number


        Mots-clés - Lieux

        Mots-clés - Noms

        Mots-clés - Genre

        Zone du contrôle

        Description record identifier

        Identifiant du service d'archives

        Règles ou conventions


        Niveau de détail

        Dates de production, de révision et de suppression

        Language of description

          Script of description


            Accession area