Fonds PR1389 - Ernest E. Poole Foundation fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Ernest E. Poole Foundation fonds

General material designation

    Parallel title

    Other title information

    Title statements of responsibility

    Title notes

    • Source of title proper: Title based on the content of the records.

    Level of description

    Fonds

    Reference code

    PR1389

    Edition area

    Edition statement

    Edition statement of responsibility

    Class of material specific details area

    Statement of scale (cartographic)

    Statement of projection (cartographic)

    Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

    Statement of scale (architectural)

    Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

    Dates of creation area

    Date(s)

    • 1925-1987 (Creation)

    Physical description area

    Physical description

    0.03 m of textual records and other material

    Publisher's series area

    Title proper of publisher's series

    Parallel titles of publisher's series

    Other title information of publisher's series

    Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

    Numbering within publisher's series

    Note on publisher's series

    Archival description area

    Name of creator

    (1961-1985)

    Administrative history

    The Poole Foundation was founded in Edmonton, Alberta and incorporated under the Companies Act September 18, 1961.

    The founders of the Poole Foundation were Ernest Edward Poole and his wife Gertrude Inez Poole. Ernest E. Poole was born on October 18, 1884 at Woodville Mills, Prince Edward Island. Poole worked as a young man in his father's saw, flour and carding mills, and in 1903 moved west for a time to work as a carpenter at Melita, Manitoba. He moved west again in 1904 and worked as a carpenter in Stoughton, Saskatchewan in the summer, and ran a hardware store in the winter when construction stopped. In 1906 he entered the construction business in Stoughton with a partner, James Martin, who retired a year later. Poole's construction company built in many small towns in Saskatchewan and Manitoba, and in 1910 Poole moved to Rouleau where his company, Poole Construction, eventually became a major firm in Canada.

    In 1913 Poole married Gertrude Inez Annear who was born on April 22, 1887 at Lower Montague, Prince Edward Island. They settled first in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan and then moved to Regina in 1915. Together they had four children, John, Ruth, George, and Inez, and in 1932 they moved to Edmonton, Alberta where they remained until their deaths. Gertrude Poole was a member of the 100th Avenue War Service Group and the Eight Bells Club in Edmonton, Alberta. Ernest E. and Gertrude Poole were both avid collectors and amassed a large collection of artwork, Georgian silver, early china, antique furniture, antique firearms and stamps. After World War II Ernest E. Poole sold his construction company to his two sons and devoted more time to his hobbies. In 1961 he founded the Poole Foundation, to which he and his wife left many of their paintings and other works of art, most of which were later given to the Edmonton Art Gallery and the Royal Alberta Museum.

    Ernest E. Poole died on March 12, 1964, survived by his wife Gertrude, who died on March 23, 1987. After Ernest E. Poole's death, the directors of the Poole Foundation decided that the name of the foundation should more closely identify with the founder and the name of the foundation was changed to the Ernest E. Poole Foundation. After all assets had been distributed, the Ernest E. Poole Foundation was dissolved on March 31, 1985.

    Custodial history

    Scope and content

    Fonds consists of photocopied and original records pertaining to the purpose, formation, activities and termination of the Ernest E. Poole Foundation and includes reports, biographical/historical sketches, memorandum and articles of association, certificate of incorporation, minutes, correspondence, newspaper clippings, a will, and inventories. Fonds also includes records belonging to Ernest E. Poole and Gertrude Poole and includes an issue of Navy Notes, a Royal Tour souvenir book, and photographs, slides, and transparencies that depict the Royal Tour, First Nations chiefs, ships, cars, and street views, and cinefilms depicting Poole Construction sites and work crews, the Royal Tour, winter activities, and some aerial footage of Medicine Hat, Alberta and area.

    Notes area

    Physical condition

    Immediate source of acquisition

    Mr. John E. Poole, a director of the Ernest E. Poole Foundation, deposited accession PR1976.0188 in the Human History Division of the Alberta Royal Museum in 1976 and the records were subsequently transferred to the Provincial Archives of Alberta. An accrual of two photographs was added to accession PR1976.0188 by the Alberta Royal Museum in 1997. John E. Poole deposited accession PR1991.0241 in the Provincial Archives of Alberta in 1991. Accession PR1992.0096 was originally acquired by the Provincial Museum of Alberta in 1976 from Gertrude Poole and subsequently transferred to the Provincial Archives of Alberta in 1992.

    Arrangement

    Language of material

      Script of material

        Language and script note

        The material is in English.

        Location of originals

        Availability of other formats

        Restrictions on access

        Access Conditions: None

        Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

        Use Conditions: Permission for use required. Subject to the Copyright Act.

        Finding aids

        File list is not available.

        Associated materials

        Other records pertaining to Gertrude Poole can be found in the 100th Avenue War Service Group fonds.

        Accruals

        Further accruals are not expected.

        General note

        Reference prints of photographs from this fonds can be found in A File under location numbers A.12,587-A.12,588. These records were deposited at the same time and in the same accession as records belonging to the 100th Avenue War Service Group fonds.

        Physical description

        Fonds also includes 10 cinefilms, 15 transparencies, and 16 photographs.

        Alternative identifier(s)

        Standard number

        Standard number

        Access points

        Place access points

        Name access points

        Genre access points

        Control area

        Description record identifier

        Institution identifier

        Rules or conventions

        Status

        Level of detail

        Dates of creation, revision and deletion

        Language of description

          Script of description

            Sources

            Accession area