Fonds PR1132 - Farmers’ Union of Alberta fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Farmers’ Union of Alberta fonds

General material designation

    Parallel title

    Other title information

    Title statements of responsibility

    Title notes

    • Source of title proper: Title based on the content of the records.

    Level of description

    Fonds

    Reference code

    PR1132

    Edition area

    Edition statement

    Edition statement of responsibility

    Class of material specific details area

    Statement of scale (cartographic)

    Statement of projection (cartographic)

    Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

    Statement of scale (architectural)

    Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

    Dates of creation area

    Date(s)

    • 1911-1965 (Creation)

    Physical description area

    Physical description

    1.36 m of textual records. -- 1 photograph.

    Publisher's series area

    Title proper of publisher's series

    Parallel titles of publisher's series

    Other title information of publisher's series

    Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

    Numbering within publisher's series

    Note on publisher's series

    Archival description area

    Name of creator

    Administrative history

    The Farmers' Union of Alberta was established on January 14, 1949 when the United Farmers of Alberta and the Alberta Farmers' Union amalgamated. It ceased to exist in January 1970 when it amalgamated with the Alberta Federation of Agriculture; the new organization was known as Unifarm.

    Members of the United Farmers of Alberta and the Alberta Farmers' Union held a joint meeting in January 1949 to finalize the details of the new organization they were about to form. The new organization, the Farmers' Union of Alberta (FUA), was to be non-partisan, and the constitution proposed their objectives as being: to advance the interests of farmers and farmers' co-operative organizations; to coordinate the efforts of the various branches of agriculture to promote their common interests through collective action; to promote and secure necessary and just legislation; to achieve a relationship of price which would ensure agriculture its fair share of national income; to contribute to a high standard of living for all citizens by promoting the highest production over a long period commensurate with sound agricultural practices; to promote social interaction, a higher standard of community life and the study of economic and social questions relating to agriculture and democratic citizenship; and to promote the fullest possible use of credit unions. The Farmers' Union of Alberta was incorporated under the Societies Act (R.S.A. 1942, chapter 245) on July 6, 1949, with the objective of advancing the interests of farmers and farmers' co-operative organizations.

    Plans to amalgamate with the Alberta Federation of Agriculture had been proposed as early as 1952. In 1964, members of the FUA resolved to enter into plans and negotiations aimed at achieving a more efficient and unified farm organization. Two possible options were to amalgamate either with the National Farmers' Union (NFU) or with the Alberta Federation of Agriculture (AFA). In 1968 under the new leadership of Roy Atkinson, the NFU's objectives and direction changed, and many FUA members were uncomfortable with the refocused organization. When the restructured National Farmers' Union held its founding convention in Winnipeg, Manitoba in July 1969, the FUA did not pass the necessary resolution to join, the only provincial organization to do so. Subsequently, the FUA and the AFA drafted a constitution in 1969. At the December 9, 1969 meeting of the FUA, delegates were presented with two options: to dissolve and accept the NFU constitution, or to amalgamate with the AFA; of the 11,178 registered delegates, 946 voted against the NFU proposal, and 947 in favour of amalgamation with AFA. The Farmers' Union of Alberta was created on January 14, 1949 when the United Farmers of Alberta and the Alberta Farmers' Union amalgamated. These two groups had attempted to amalgamate for a number of years. The United Farmers of Alberta had also considered amalgamation with the Alberta Federation of Agriculture; an amalgamation with the AFA finally occurred in 1970 when it merged with the Farmers' Union of Alberta.

    The Farmers' Union of Alberta amalgamated in January 1970 with Alberta Federation of Agriculture. The new organization that resulted was Unifarm. Unifarm was reorganized as the Wild Rose Agricultural Producers in 1996.Farm Women's Union of Alberta worked in parallel to the FUA. The FWUA had a certain degree of autonomy, and had its own executive. Also working in parallel was the Junior FUA.

    Like the United Farmers of Alberta and the Alberta Farmers' Union, the FUA was comprised of a number of locals throughout the province. Many of these locals were a continuation of those from the previous farm organizations. Unlike the UFA locals, a large component of which had been its social activities, the FUA locals were more concerned with policy development at the larger district and regional organizations.

    Presidents of the Farmers' Union of Alberta: Carl Stimpfle, 1949-1950; Henry Young, 1950-1955; Arnold Platt, 1955-1958; Ed Nelson, 1958-1963; Paul Babey, 1963-1970

    Custodial history

    Scope and content

    The fonds consists of the records of the Farmers' Union of Alberta, and includes the following sous-fonds: Asker Local. No. 904 sous-fonds, Bellis Local No. 409 sous-fonds, District No. 6 (Lamont) Association sous-fonds and Farm Women's Union of Alberta sous-fonds; and one series, "The Voice of Agriculture" records, which consists of transcripts of radio broadcasts from 1958 to 1965, hosted by W.J. (Bill) Harper.

    Notes area

    Physical condition

    Immediate source of acquisition

    W.J. Harper (PR1977.0151) deposited the records in the Provincial Archives of Alberta in 1977.

    Arrangement

    Language of material

      Script of material

        Language and script note

        The material is in English.

        Location of originals

        Availability of other formats

        Restrictions on access

        Access Conditions: None

        Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

        Use Conditions: Permission for use required. Subject to the Copyright Act.

        Finding aids

        Inventory is available.

        Generated finding aid

        Associated materials

        Also see the United Farmers of Alberta fonds, the Farmers’ Union of Alberta fonds and the Wild Rose Agricultural Producers fonds at the Provincial Archives of Alberta.

        Also see the Farmers' Union of Alberta, Blindman Valley Local No. 1047 fonds, the Farmers' Union of Alberta, Burnt Lake Local No. 1004 fonds and the Farmers' Union of Alberta, District 10, Sub-District No. 5 fonds at the Red Deer and District Archives in Red Deer, Alberta; and the Herbert Nichols fonds, the Farmers' Union of Alberta, Conrich Junior FUA fonds, the Farmers' Union of Alberta, Sunniebend Local fonds and the United Farmers of Alberta fonds at the Glenbow Archives in Calgary, Alberta.

        Accruals

        Further accruals are not expected.

        General note

        Information for the administrative history is from the following books that can be found in the Provincial Archives of Alberta Reference Library: Furrow, Faith and Fellowship, 630.6 P933, and Unifarm: A Story of Conflict & Change, 630.607123 J378.

        General note

        Includes accessions PR1977.0151 and PR2008.0005.

        Alternative identifier(s)

        Standard number

        Standard number

        Access points

        Place access points

        Name access points

        Genre access points

        Control area

        Description record identifier

        Institution identifier

        Rules or conventions

        Status

        Level of detail

        Dates of creation, revision and deletion

        Language of description

          Script of description

            Sources

            Accession area