Fonds PR3589 - Grace Methodist Church (Lacombe) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Grace Methodist Church (Lacombe) fonds

General material designation

    Parallel title

    Other title information

    Title statements of responsibility

    Title notes

    • Source of title proper: Title based on the content of the records.

    Level of description

    Fonds

    Reference code

    PR3589

    Edition area

    Edition statement

    Edition statement of responsibility

    Class of material specific details area

    Statement of scale (cartographic)

    Statement of projection (cartographic)

    Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

    Statement of scale (architectural)

    Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

    Dates of creation area

    Date(s)

    • 1902-1924 (Creation)

    Physical description area

    Physical description

    0.01 m of textual records

    Publisher's series area

    Title proper of publisher's series

    Parallel titles of publisher's series

    Other title information of publisher's series

    Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

    Numbering within publisher's series

    Note on publisher's series

    Archival description area

    Name of creator

    (1893-1922)

    Administrative history

    Grace Methodist Church was established in Lacombe, Alberta in 1893. Church services were initially held in the log school, with a permanent church building opening for worship on September 16, 1894. By 1901, membership in the church had reached one hundred and seventy-four people and the districts of Milton, Wolf Creek, Blindman and Rimbey were added to the circuit that also included Blackfalds, Chigwell, Spruceville, Bentley, Lakeside-Canyon, Central, and Spring Valley.

    In [1905] the original church building was expanded and electric lights were added. Grace Methodist Church and St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church held united summer services as early as 1911. The matter of permanent union was first put to a vote in 1915, but it was turned down. It was voted on again in 1917 with the same result.

    In 1922, a vote was taken for the third time and passed, creating St. Andrew's United Church, located in what had previously been the Grace Methodist Church building. St. Andrew's United Church would join the United Church of Canada, a union of Methodist, Congregational, and Presbyterian denominations, upon its formation in 1925.

    Custodial history

    Records deposited under accession number PR1975.0387 were acquired sometime prior to 1975 however there is no surviving record of the details.

    Scope and content

    The fonds consists of Quarterly Official Board Minutes (1905-1922); Quadrennial report on Church Property (1922); register of baptisms (1902-1922), marriages (1902-1922), and burials (1903-1922); Cash book (1914-1922); Church mortgage (1917); Insurance documents (1921-1922); Ladies Aid cash books (1897-1924); Sunday school board minutes (1919-1922); and the Young Men's Club guest book (1907-1908).

    Notes area

    Physical condition

    Immediate source of acquisition

    In 1975, the Conference entered into a permanent loan agreement with the Provincial Archives of Alberta (PAA) for the physical custody and control of the holdings of the Conference Archives and the records were relocated to the PAA in that same year. Records received after 1975 have come from the congregation, church members, or officers of the presbytery or the Conference.

    Arrangement

    The materials have been arranged chronologically and in accordance with the congregational series arrangement plan.

    Language of material

      Script of material

        Language and script note

        The material is in English.

        Location of originals

        Availability of other formats

        Restrictions on access

        None

        Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

        Subject to the Copyright Act. Permission for use required. See Conference Archivist.

        Finding aids

        Inventory is available.

        Associated materials

        For additional materials please see the Lacombe Methodist Pastoral Charge fonds (PR3590) and St. Andrew's United Church fonds (PR3593) in the United Church of Canada Alberta and Northwest Conference Archives, located at the Provincial Archives of Alberta.

        Accruals

        Further accruals are not expected.

        General note

        Information in the Administrative History was sourced from the fonds and from the following book:

        Lacombe: The First Century; The Lacombe and District Chamber of Commerce; 1982.

        General note

        Includes the following accessions PR1975.0387 and PR1999.1093.

        Alternative identifier(s)

        Standard number

        Standard number

        Access points

        Place access points

        Name access points

        Genre access points

        Control area

        Description record identifier

        Institution identifier

        Rules or conventions

        Status

        Level of detail

        Dates of creation, revision and deletion

        Language of description

          Script of description

            Sources

            Accession area