Fonds PR3275 - Hayward Lumber Company fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Hayward Lumber Company fonds

General material designation

    Parallel title

    Other title information

    Title statements of responsibility

    Title notes

    • Source of title proper: The title is based on the contents of the fonds.

    Level of description

    Fonds

    Reference code

    PR3275

    Edition area

    Edition statement

    Edition statement of responsibility

    Class of material specific details area

    Statement of scale (cartographic)

    Statement of projection (cartographic)

    Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

    Statement of scale (architectural)

    Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

    Dates of creation area

    Date(s)

    • 1906-1960 (Creation)

    Physical description area

    Physical description

    1.31 m of textual records.

    Publisher's series area

    Title proper of publisher's series

    Parallel titles of publisher's series

    Other title information of publisher's series

    Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

    Numbering within publisher's series

    Note on publisher's series

    Archival description area

    Name of creator

    (1906-1967)

    Administrative history

    The Hayward Lumber Company Limited was founded in Vermilion, Alberta by George Eldon Hayward and Fred C. Long about 1906. George Hayward was born in New Brunswick in 1882. He moved to Brandon, Manitoba around 1900 and worked for Hanbury Manufacturing Company for a time until he was sent to manage their lumber mill at Cranbrook, British Columbiaaround 1902. In 1904, Hayward joined Fred Long, a pharmacist, and together they peddled patent medicines and working clothes from a wagon between Edmonton and Vermilion. In 1905, Hayward and Long formed a lumber business in Vermilion called Hayward and Long Company. In 1911, the partnership between Long and Hayward ended and Hayward took control of the business, renaming the company Hayward Lumber Company Limited. In 1915, Hayward moved his main operations from Vermilion to north Edmonton at 118th Avenue and 75th Street, where it remained until the company dissolved in 1967.

    The company was mainly involved in general lumberyard operations, but it also provided custom made woodworking for many large buildings, and also sold coal out of its yard operations. The company also operated many line yards in various smaller Alberta communities, including the original Vermilion location, Blackfoot, Kitscoty, Islay, Mannville, Minburn, Innisfree, Lavoy, Vegreville, Chipman, Radway, Redwater, Warspite, Bellis, Vilna, Ashmont, St. Paul, Rochfort, Jasper, Waterways, Marwayne, Greencourt, Dewberry, Elk Point, Clandonald, Bonnyville, Beauvallon, and Therien.

    Hayward Lumber Company also operated various subsidiary companies including Vermilion Brick Company in Vermilion (1911-1916), Bondies Lumber Company in Edmonton (1917-1919), Canada Products Limited in Edmonton (1921-?), and Hayward Builders Supplies Limited in Edmonton (1949-1967).

    George Hayward ran Hayward Lumber Company until his death in 1956, succeeded by his son, Vern, who ran the company until its dissolution in 1967. From that time, various other lumber companies rented the premises until 1973 when the land was sold and the Edmonton Coliseum was built on the site.

    Custodial history

    Scope and content

    Fonds consists primarily of financial records of the Hayward Lumber Company Limited and its subsidiaries and includes cashbooks, annual reports, financial statements, ledgers, purchase and sales journals, accounts receivables, and a newsletter.

    Notes area

    Physical condition

    Immediate source of acquisition

    Vern Hayward deposited the records in 1972 and the newsletter was donated in 2011.

    Arrangement

    Language of material

      Script of material

        Language and script note

        Material is in English.

        Location of originals

        Availability of other formats

        Restrictions on access

        None

        Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

        Permission for use required. Subject to the Copyright Act.

        Finding aids

        File list is available.

        Associated materials

        Accruals

        Further accruals are not expected.

        General note

        Includes the following accessions: PR1972.0312, PR2011.0586.

        General note

        Information for the administrative history was taken from the records and from information supplied by Vern Hayward.

        Alternative identifier(s)

        Standard number

        Standard number

        Access points

        Place access points

        Name access points

        Genre access points

        Control area

        Description record identifier

        Institution identifier

        Rules or conventions

        Status

        Level of detail

        Dates of creation, revision and deletion

        Language of description

          Script of description

            Sources

            Accession area