Fonds PR2566 - Rule, Wynn and Rule Architects fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Rule, Wynn and Rule Architects fonds

General material designation

    Parallel title

    Other title information

    Title statements of responsibility

    Title notes

    • Source of title proper: Title based on the content of the records.

    Level of description

    Fonds

    Reference code

    PR2566

    Edition area

    Edition statement

    Edition statement of responsibility

    Class of material specific details area

    Statement of scale (cartographic)

    Statement of projection (cartographic)

    Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

    Statement of scale (architectural)

    Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

    Dates of creation area

    Date(s)

    • [ca. 1930] (Creation)

    Physical description area

    Physical description

    4 architectural drawings

    Publisher's series area

    Title proper of publisher's series

    Parallel titles of publisher's series

    Other title information of publisher's series

    Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

    Numbering within publisher's series

    Note on publisher's series

    Archival description area

    Name of creator

    (1938-1966)

    Administrative history

    In 1938, John Ulric Rule (1904-1978) and Gordon K. Wynn (1910-1994) formed an architecture firm in Edmonton, Alberta. In 1939, John Rule's brother, Peter Leitch Rule (1913-1964) joined the firm and the firm became Rule, Wynn and Rule. The firm opened a Calgary office in 1945, but closed the office in 1986.

    The Edmonton office constitutes one of the longest running architectural offices in Edmonton. The firm has produced designs for projects such as Foster McGarvey Funeral Home (1938), Varscona Theatre (1940), and the Alberta Government Telephone Building (1953). The firm also designed the Petroleum Building (1951), Spruce Cliff Apartments (1953), Trend House (1954), Elveden Centre (1959-64), and MacMahon Stadium (1960) among other projects in Calgary. The firm won numerous awards, including Alberta Association of Architects awards for the Alberta Agriculture Building (1983), Edmonton Centre (1978), Maclean Block renovation (1979) and Weinlos Elementary School (1985) and a City of Edmonton Architectural Award for the Commonwealth Aquatic Centre (1978).

    In 1966, Rule Wynn and Rule, Calgary became Rule Wynn Hames & Partners. Subsequent changes in partners and firm names included W.G. Hames Associates, and Hames & Timleck Architects & Engineers.

    In 1966, Rule Wynn and Rule, Edmonton became Rule Wynn Forbes Lord & Partners. Subsequent changes in partners and names included Wynn Forbes Lord Feldberg Schmidt, Wynn Hames Forbes Lord Feldberg Schmidt, Forbes Lord Feldberg Schmidt Croll, Schmidt Feldberg Croll Henderson, Henderson Inglis, Henderson Inglis Partridge, and HIP Architects. HIP Architects merged with Kasian Architecture Interior Design and Planning in 2012.

    Custodial history

    Scope and content

    The fonds consists of three architectural plans for the Edmonton Club buildings dating from ca. 1930 and produced by Rule Wynn and Rule.

    Notes area

    Physical condition

    Immediate source of acquisition

    In 1968, R.O. Harrison, Director of the Provincial Museum and Archives of Alberta donated the material to the Provincial Archives of Alberta. It's unknown how R.O. Harrison obtained the material.

    Arrangement

    Language of material

      Script of material

        Language and script note

        The material is in English.

        Location of originals

        Availability of other formats

        Restrictions on access

        Access Conditions: None

        Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

        Use Conditions: Permission for use required. Subject to the Copyright Act.

        Finding aids

        File list is not available.

        Associated materials

        Please see the Wynn Rule and Wynn, Edmonton Fonds and the Wynn Rule and Wynn, Calgary Fonds at the Canadian Architectural Archives at the University of Calgary.

        Related materials

        Accruals

        Further accruals are not expected.

        General note

        Information for the administrative history/biographical sketch sourced from: http://www.encyclopediecanadienne.ca/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&Params=A1ARTA0009551 (Accessed June 22, 2008). For more information on Rule Wynn and Rule please see, Fraser, Linda M. The Rule Wynn and Rule (Edmonton) Architectural Drawings: An Inventory of the Collection at the Canadian Architectural Archives at the University of Calgary Library, Kathy E. Zimon Ed., Canadian Archival Series No. 3, 1997.

        General note

        Includes accession PR1968.0047.

        Alternative identifier(s)

        Standard number

        Standard number

        Access points

        Place access points

        Name access points

        Genre access points

        Control area

        Description record identifier

        Institution identifier

        Rules or conventions

        Status

        Level of detail

        Dates of creation, revision and deletion

        Language of description

          Script of description

            Sources

            Accession area