Fonds PR0053 - Jack Edworthy fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Jack Edworthy fonds

General material designation

    Parallel title

    Other title information

    Title statements of responsibility

    Title notes

    • Source of title proper: Title based on the content of the records.

    Level of description

    Fonds

    Reference code

    PR0053

    Edition area

    Edition statement

    Edition statement of responsibility

    Class of material specific details area

    Statement of scale (cartographic)

    Statement of projection (cartographic)

    Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

    Statement of scale (architectural)

    Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

    Dates of creation area

    Date(s)

    • [189-]-[199-] (Creation)

    Physical description area

    Physical description

    0.75 of textual records and other material

    Publisher's series area

    Title proper of publisher's series

    Parallel titles of publisher's series

    Other title information of publisher's series

    Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

    Numbering within publisher's series

    Note on publisher's series

    Archival description area

    Name of creator

    Biographical history

    The Edworthy family was one of the first pioneer families in Alberta, settling in what is now Calgary. Thomas Edworthy immigrated to Ontario from England in 1872 and moved to Alberta in 1883 and homesteaded on a half section along the south bank of the Bow River. Thomas Edworthy raised a market garden and opened a sandstone quarry on his property. Many of Calgary's older buildings were built from Edworthy Quarry stone. Edworthy later entered into the cattle ranching business.

    Thomas Edworthy married Mary MacArthur in 1897. Mary (originally of Pictou, Nova Scotia) had been previously married to Alex Ross, one of the first photographers in Alberta. They arrived in Calgary in 1885. Alex died as a young man in 1894. Mary's sister, Millie, also came to Calgary and married George Livingston in 1893, who was another early pioneer of the Calgary district. Thomas and Mary Edworthy had two children. Percival was born in 1898 and George was born in 1899. Thomas died in 1904 of typhoid fever. Mary and the children moved into Calgary in 1906.

    George Edworthy married Myrle Frank in 1923. George worked in various capacities at United Grain Growers, including Superintendent of the Grain Commission Department. He also served with the Calgary Exhibition and Stampede as President, and served as President of the Kinsmen Club of Calgary. George and Myrle had two children. Jack was born in 1928 and George Jr, was born in 1933. The City of Calgary gradually grew to encompass the land that the Edworthy family had homesteaded. Some of this land was set aside and the house was designated as a Provincial Historic Resource in 1987. Some of the land surrounding the house was made into a park which was named Edworthy Park. In 1986 the Historic Sites Board approved the geographic name Edworthy Falls as the official name of the falls on the Elbow River.

    Jack Edworthy moved to Edmonton in 1966 and took a position with the Alberta Association of Municipal Districts and Counties. He also became involved in the Rotary Club of South Edmonton and, through them, several projects at Fort Edmonton Park. He was a charter member of the Fort Edmonton Historical Foundation and was one of the founders of the Harvest Fair at Fort Edmonton Park and helped organise it for 25 years. He was made a Paul Harris Fellow by his Rotary Club for service to the club and community, and was honoured with the Lieutenant Governor's Award for excellent service in his field.

    Jack Edworthy died November 7, 2010 in White Rock, B.C.

    Custodial history

    Scope and content

    This fonds consists of the papers of the Edworthy family including speeches, memoirs, articles, photographs, maps and family history of the George Edworthy family. Also includes family papers of the Livingston family such as correspondence, photos and articles. Also includes the Jack Edworthy papers consisting of correspondence, photos, clippings, programs, reports, Fort Edmonton/Harvest Fair material and Edmonton South Rotary Club material. Also includes Alberta Association of Municipal Districts and Counties Covention Handbooks.

    Notes area

    Physical condition

    Immediate source of acquisition

    The records were donated by Jack Edworthy, son of George Edworthy. Jack acquired some of the records from his father.

    Arrangement

    Language of material

      Script of material

        Location of originals

        Availability of other formats

        Restrictions on access

        Access Conditions: None

        Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

        Use Conditions: Subject to the Copyright Act.

        Finding aids

        Inventories are available.

        Associated materials

        Related materials

        Accruals

        Further accruals are expected.

        General note

        Includes the following accessions:

        PR1986.0378
        PR1998.0862
        PR1999.0176

        Physical description

        Includes 495 photographs, 190 negatives, 12 transparencies, 2 cinefilms, 1 videocassette, 2 audio cassettes, 5 maps, 1 poster, 3 plaques and a number of pins and spoons.

        Alternative identifier(s)

        PAA No

        PR0053

        Standard number

        Standard number

        Access points

        Place access points

        Name access points

        Genre access points

        Control area

        Description record identifier

        Institution identifier

        Rules or conventions

        Status

        Level of detail

        Dates of creation, revision and deletion

        Language of description

          Script of description

            Sources

            Accession area