Fonds PR1756 - Krause Milling Company fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Krause Milling Company fonds

General material designation

    Parallel title

    Other title information

    Title statements of responsibility

    Title notes

    • Source of title proper: Title based on the content of the records.

    Level of description

    Fonds

    Reference code

    PR1756

    Edition area

    Edition statement

    Edition statement of responsibility

    Class of material specific details area

    Statement of scale (cartographic)

    Statement of projection (cartographic)

    Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

    Statement of scale (architectural)

    Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

    Dates of creation area

    Date(s)

    • 1938-1950, predominant 1938-1943 (Creation)
      Note
      Records dating from 1950 may have belonged to the Pioneer Hardware Company (W.A. Krause was proprietor), but nothing in the records indicates this.

    Physical description area

    Physical description

    0.07 m of textual records

    Publisher's series area

    Title proper of publisher's series

    Parallel titles of publisher's series

    Other title information of publisher's series

    Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

    Numbering within publisher's series

    Note on publisher's series

    Archival description area

    Name of creator

    Administrative history

    The Krause Milling Company began as the Bruderheim Milling Company, an undertaking of the Krause brothers, Adam, William and Theodore, who were originally from Russia and had come to Alberta in 1894. The brothers began construction of a flour mill in Bruderheim, Alberta in 1907 and completed the mill in 1908.

    In 1908, brothers Julius and Gustav replaced William and Theodore as shareholders. In 1910, one of the brothers, Adam Krause, bought out his brothers to become sole owner of the company. In 1915, a grain elevator was built. In 1920, Adam sold the mill to his son, Withold A. Krause.

    The Krause mill and elevator in Bruderheim were destroyed by fire in 1927. An elevator was rebuilt in Bruderheim, under the name Krause Milling Company; this elevator was sold in about 1930. Instead of rebuilding the flour mill in Bruderheim, it was rebuilt in Radway, Alberta, at the request of the Radway Board of Trade. Construction began in 1928, and was complete around 1930. The Krause Milling Company, a company of millers and grain merchants, came to operate mills at Radway and Leduc, Alberta.

    In the 1930s, the Krause Milling Company was listed as grain dealers and producers of high grade wheat flour, rye flour, whole wheat graham flour, pastry flour, pancake flour, self-rising flour, wheat grits breakfast food, rolled and cracked wheat breakfast food, bran and shorts, and crushed grains. W.A. Krause eventually sold the Radway mill and elevator to the St. Paul Flour Milling Company, likely in the late 1940s.

    Custodial history

    Scope and content

    The fonds consists of records of the Krause Milling Company, primarily for Radway, and includes correspondence, blank stationary, records of grain storage, receipts, and lists of those with liens upon their crops provided by Albert Hail Insurance Board. The fonds also includes blank forms for the Gillespie Grain Company Limited, with whom the Bruderheim Milling Company cooperated.

    Notes area

    Physical condition

    Immediate source of acquisition

    Mrs. W. A. (Alice) Krause, Withold’s wife, deposited the records in the Provincial Archives of Alberta in 1988.

    Arrangement

    Language of material

      Script of material

        Language and script note

        The material is in English.

        Location of originals

        Availability of other formats

        Restrictions on access

        Access Conditions: None

        Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

        Use Conditions: Permission for use required. Subject to the Copyright Act.

        Finding aids

        File lists are not available.

        Associated materials

        An image of the Krause Milling Company in Leduc can be located in the BA (Bamber) file of the Provincial Archives of Alberta reference prints under the numbers BA.70.

        Related materials

        Accruals

        Further accruals are not expected.

        General note

        Information for the administrative history is taken from From Bush to Bushels: A History of Bruderheim & District and In Search of Greener Pastures: A History of Radway and Area, which are available in the Provincial Archives of Alberta Reference Library, 971.233 B831 PAA and 971.232 Se17 respectively, and from the records. This fonds was donated at the same time, and in the same accession, as two unrelated discrete items: a Garneau Tennis Club membership for Gilbert H. Krause and a Diamond Bus Lines Limited schedule for 1964.

        General note

        Includes accession PR1988.0230.

        Alternative identifier(s)

        Standard number

        Standard number

        Access points

        Place access points

        Name access points

        Genre access points

        Control area

        Description record identifier

        Institution identifier

        Rules or conventions

        Status

        Level of detail

        Dates of creation, revision and deletion

        Language of description

          Script of description

            Sources

            Accession area