Fonds PR2093 - Lamont County fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Lamont County fonds

General material designation

    Parallel title

    Other title information

    Title statements of responsibility

    Title notes

    • Source of title proper: Title based on the content of the records.

    Level of description

    Fonds

    Reference code

    PR2093

    Edition area

    Edition statement

    Edition statement of responsibility

    Class of material specific details area

    Statement of scale (cartographic)

    Statement of projection (cartographic)

    Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

    Statement of scale (architectural)

    Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

    Dates of creation area

    Date(s)

    • 1904 - 1969 (Creation)

    Physical description area

    Physical description

    3.94 m of textual records

    Publisher's series area

    Title proper of publisher's series

    Parallel titles of publisher's series

    Other title information of publisher's series

    Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

    Numbering within publisher's series

    Note on publisher's series

    Archival description area

    Name of creator

    Administrative history

    The area comprising Lamont County no. 30 was first surveyed in 1883. The first settler of the area began homesteading in 1887. Many Ukrainian immigrants began homesteading in the area in 1891.

    In 1883, the Northwest Territorial Council passed the Municipal Ordinance, allowing for the establishment of local government areas. In response to this ordinance, many townships typically comprised of 36 sections of land, organized to form herd districts (1883), fire districts (1886), statute districts (1887), and the amalgamation of all three in 1897 to form local improvement districts with the passing of the Local Improvement Ordinance. Local improvement districts maintained public works such as road building, management of fires, noxious fumes, and animals. A 1903 amendment of the Local Improvement Ordinance allowed local improvement districts to include between 3 and 6 townships. In 1912 with the passing of the Rural Municipality Act, the Province of Alberta created the Department of Municipal Affairs, and new charters and separate statues were created for municipal districts. The Act allowed 9 townships to apply for incorporation as a rural municipality as long as the land contained 1 person/square mile. Under this provision some local improvement districts organized as municipalities while others chose to continue as local improvement districts. In 1918, the Government of Alberta forced the organization of all local improvement districts into municipalities with the Municipal Districts Act.

    Lamont County was previously divided into three Local Improvement Districts. Local Improvement District 27NW administered the Chipman/Mundare area. The first meeting of the district occurred in 1906. In 1913, it became the municipal district of Pines. Local Improvement District 28N4 existed within the boundaries of the Wostok area. The first meeting occurred in 1908. Local Improvement District no. 546 centered at Snaitlyn. The first meeting occurred in 1913. In 1920, the Municipal District of Leslie was incorporated. In 1939, Lamont School Division No. 18 formed. In 1944, the Municipal District of Lamont no. 516 (later 82) incorporated, uniting the smaller districts of Leslie, Pines, and Wostok. In 1968, the County of Lamont no. 30 incorporated uniting Lamont School District no. 18, and Municipal District No. 82. In 1999, Lamont County No. 30 changed its name to Lamont County.

    Custodial history

    Scope and content

    The fonds consists of the primary school records of Lamont County No. 30 including correspondence, daily registers, school census, consolidation records, and intelligence results. The fonds includes the following schools dating from 1904-1969:

    • Andrew School District #393 (1895 - ?): 33-56-16-W4
    • Beaver Creek School District # 371 (1895 - ?): 32-55-19-W4
    • Beaver Lake School District #222 (1892 - ?): 11-52-17-W4
    • Brody School District #1783 (1908 - 1950): SE 3-54-16-W4
    • Bruderheim School District # 537 (1900 - 1949): SE 3-56-20-W4
    • Bukovina School District #1162 (1904 - 1934): NE 11- 57- 16 –W4
    • Cadron School District # 2195 (1910 – 1949): 13-58-16-W4
    • Chernowici School District # 1456 (1906- ?): NE 22-56-17-W4
    • Chipman School District # 1473(1906- ?): 30-54-18-W4
    • Clearbrook School District # 6000 (1932- 1952): SE-2-61-23-W4
    • Creekford School District #370 (1895 - ?): 13-55-19-W4
    • Czahar School District #2322 (1910 – 1950): SE-6-56-15-W4
    • Deep Creek School Division #367 (1895- 1960): NE- 24-55-20- W4
    • Dilo School District # 3438 (1916-1951): 5-57-18-W4
    • Ferry Trail School District # 4826 (1938 – 1958): SE 29-58-10-W4
    • Grimsby School District #4176 (1923 – 1953): SE 15-55-20-W4
    • Highway School District # 3928 (1920-1950): 32-57-17-W4
    • Hilliard School District #3546 (1917- 1950): 5-54-17-W4
    • Huwen School District #1457 (1906- 1933): NW-10 -55-17-W4
    • Jaroslaw School District #1478 (1906-1930): NE-34-56-2-W4
    • Kalusz School District # 1631 (1907- 1952) : NE-26-54-18-W4
    • Kysylew School District #1467 (1906- 1947): 2-57-17-W4
    • Lamont School District # 641 (1901- ?): 17-55-19-W4
    • Limestone Lake School District #412 (1896- 1952): SW-22-56-19-W4
    • Lucan School District # 3845 (1919- 1951): NW 19-57-18-W4
    • Lwiw School District # 1474 (1906- 1954): SW-24-55-18-W4
    • Manawana School District # 382 (1895- 1956): 28-56-15-W4
    • Molodia School District # 1486 (1906- : 20-55-16-W4
    • Moscow School District # 1435 (1905- ?): 4-52-26-W4
    • North Bukowina School District # 1162
    • New Vienna School District # 4647 (1934- 1951): NW-6-56-18-W4
    • Oleskow School District # 1612: ?
    • Page School District # 1626 (1907- 1956): SE-9-54-18-W4
    • Paraskevia School District # 1487(1906- 1953): 30-44-11-W4
    • Paulus School District # 1016 (1904- 1958): SW-28-53-18-W4
    • Podola School District # 2065 (1909- 1956): 20-53-17-W4
    • Premysl School District # 2944: ?
    • Proswita School District # 1563 (1906- 1953): 1-57-19-W4
    • Raymond School District # 2942 (1903- ?): 8-6-20-W4
    • Riverside School District # 1606 (1907- 1954): 17-58-16-W4
    • Rodef School District #3589 (1918- 1956): SW- 4- 58-18-W4
    • Ross Creek School District #521 (1899- ?): 15-53-19-W4
    • St. Michael School District # 831(1903- 1969): 7-56-18-W4
    • Sachava School District # 1469 (1906- 1952): 16-56-16-W4
    • Sheptycki School District # 2920 (1913- 1955): NW-14-58-19-W4
    • Silver Lake School District # 1695 (1907- 1956): 19-53-19-W4
    • Skowiatyn School District #2483 (1911- 1950): SW 1-57-18-W4
    • Sniatyn School District # 1605 (1907- 1954): NW 20-57-16-W4
    • Sollman School District # 821 (1903- 1954): 1-54-19-W4
    • South Bukowina School District No #1162
    • Stanislawow School District #166 (1906- ?): 24-54-16-W4
    • Suit School District # 1491
    • Summer School District # 1668 (1907- 1951): SE 4-53-18-W4
    • Svit School District # 1491(1906- ?: 21-54-17-W4
    • Svoboda School District # 1479 (1906- 1952): SW- 5-57-19-W4
    • Swan Creek School District # 3053 (1907- 1950): 27-54-19-W4
    • Tweedsmuir School District # 4823 (1938- 1956): SE 13-56-2-W4
    • Ukrania School District # 1672 (1907- 1950): NE 34-52-17-W4
    • Vienna School District # 831 (1903- ?): SE 7-56-18-W4
    • Vinola School District # 1695 (1939 -?)
    • Vladymir School District # 1217(1905- ?): 1-54-17-W4
    • Walker School District # 1705 (1907- ?): SE 5-56-20-W4
    • Whitford School District # 382: ?
    • Wostok School District # 528 (1900- 1951): E 14-56-18-W4
    • Zawale School District # 1974 (1904- 1950): 33-55-17-W4
    • Zhoda School District # 1498 (1906- 1951): SW 18-55-15-W4
    • Zoria School District # 40 (1921- 1951): SW 22-57-19-W4

    Notes area

    Physical condition

    Immediate source of acquisition

    In 1991, County of Lamont donated the material to the Provincial Archives of Alberta. In 1998, Isadore Patrie donated material originating from the Municipal District of Pines to the Provincial Archives of Alberta. In 2012 Alex Hudema donated a record book from the Zhoda School District to the Provincial Archives.

    Arrangement

    Language of material

      Script of material

        Language and script note

        The material is in English.

        Location of originals

        Availability of other formats

        Restrictions on access

        Access Conditions: None

        Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

        Use Conditions: Permission for use required. Subject to the Copyright Act.

        Finding aids

        Some file lists are available.

        Associated materials

        The Provincial Archives of Alberta holds many more records pertaining to school districts in Alberta.

        Related materials

        Accruals

        Further accruals are not expected.

        General note

        Information for the administrative history/biographical sketch sourced from: Lamont County: http://www.countylamont.ab.ca/ (Accessed May 30, 2007) William Peter Baergen, Pioneering with a Piece of Chalk: The One-Room Country Schools of Alberta 1885-1982, Toronto, 2005 Municipal Profiles: http://www.municipalaffairs.gov.ab.ca/cfml/profiles/index.cfm (Accessed August 22, 2007). Eric J. Hanson, Local Government in Alberta, Toronto: McClelland & Stewart, 1956. Bert Wolfe, Understanding Western Canada's Land Survey System, Saskatchewan UP, 1978.

        General note

        Includes accessions PR1998.0413, PR1991.0231, and PR2012.0503.

        Alternative identifier(s)

        Standard number

        Standard number

        Access points

        Name access points

        Genre access points

        Control area

        Description record identifier

        Institution identifier

        Rules or conventions

        Status

        Level of detail

        Dates of creation, revision and deletion

        Language of description

          Script of description

            Sources

            Accession area