Fonds PR1708 - Morinville Historical and Cultural Society Museum Committee photograph collection

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Morinville Historical and Cultural Society Museum Committee photograph collection

General material designation

    Parallel title

    Other title information

    Title statements of responsibility

    Title notes

    • Source of title proper: Title based on the provenance of the records.

    Level of description

    Fonds

    Reference code

    PR1708

    Edition area

    Edition statement

    Edition statement of responsibility

    Class of material specific details area

    Statement of scale (cartographic)

    Statement of projection (cartographic)

    Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

    Statement of scale (architectural)

    Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

    Dates of creation area

    Date(s)

    • [ca. 1915]-1987 (Creation)

    Physical description area

    Physical description

    23 negatives. – 9 photographs.

    Publisher's series area

    Title proper of publisher's series

    Parallel titles of publisher's series

    Other title information of publisher's series

    Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

    Numbering within publisher's series

    Note on publisher's series

    Archival description area

    Name of creator

    Administrative history

    The Morinville Historical and Cultural Society operates the Morinville Historical and Cultural Centre, which is housed in the former Notre Dame Convent, a 100-room facility that was the Provincial House of the religious order of “Les Filles de Jésus.” The building was declared a Provincial Historical Resource in August 1978 and is now used for community, cultural, educational and recreational purposes. It is also home to the District Museum and Archives. The museum has rotating displays of historical significance to Morinville and the district.

    Custodial history

    Scope and content

    The collection consists of images of Morinville, Alberta, originally dating circa (ca.) 1900 to ca. 1920, and includes images of streets, buildings, stores, banks, hotels, restaurants, interior of a saloon, hearse, a religious procession, horses, sleighs, wagons, delivery wagons, trains, the Cardiff Coal Mine, a church service, tennis players and a marching band and Byron-May Company, Limited photographs of buildings and views along Morinville’s main street.

    Notes area

    Physical condition

    Immediate source of acquisition

    Verna Biollo, of the Morinville Historical and Cultural Society Museum Committee, allowed the records to be copied by the Provincial Archives of Alberta in 1987. The originals were returned to Dianne Worley. Verna Biollo deposited records in the Archives in 1988.

    Arrangement

    Language of material

      Script of material

        Language and script note

        The material is in English.

        Location of originals

        Availability of other formats

        Restrictions on access

        Access Conditions: None

        Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

        Use Conditions: Permission for use required. Subject to the Copyright Act.

        Finding aids

        Some inventories are available.

        Associated materials

        Most of the copied images can be found in The Morinville Book of Pictorial History (L'histoire picturale de Morinville) compiled by the Morinville Heritage Society, which can be found in the Provincial Archives of Alberta Reference Library, 971.233 M825 PAA. The Morinville Historical and Cultural Society also deposited microfilmed copies of minutes of the Town of Morinville and the Thibault Roman Catholic Public School District No. 35 in accession PR1981.0405.

        Related materials

        Accruals

        Further accruals are not expected.

        General note

        Information for the administrative history is taken from the Town of Morinville website, http://www.town.morinville.ab.ca/Community/community.htm, accessed February 23, 2006. The images can be located in the A file of the Provincial Archives of Alberta reference prints under the numbers A.15,460 through A.15,482 and A.16,273 through A.16,281.

        General note

        Includes accessions PR1988.0374 and PR1987.0313.

        Alternative identifier(s)

        Standard number

        Standard number

        Access points

        Place access points

        Name access points

        Genre access points

        Control area

        Description record identifier

        Institution identifier

        Rules or conventions

        Status

        Level of detail

        Dates of creation, revision and deletion

        Language of description

          Script of description

            Sources

            Accession area