Fonds PR1426 - Nemirsky family fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Nemirsky family fonds

General material designation

    Parallel title

    Other title information

    Title statements of responsibility

    Title notes

    • Source of title proper: Title based on the content of the records.

    Level of description

    Fonds

    Reference code

    PR1426

    Edition area

    Edition statement

    Edition statement of responsibility

    Class of material specific details area

    Statement of scale (cartographic)

    Statement of projection (cartographic)

    Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

    Statement of scale (architectural)

    Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

    Dates of creation area

    Date(s)

    • 1737-2001, predominant 1896-2001 (Creation)

    Physical description area

    Physical description

    1.85 m of textual records and other material

    Publisher's series area

    Title proper of publisher's series

    Parallel titles of publisher's series

    Other title information of publisher's series

    Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

    Numbering within publisher's series

    Note on publisher's series

    Archival description area

    Name of creator

    Biographical history

    Theodore Nemirsky was born on July 18, 1869 in Galicia, Ukraine to Prokopius Nemirsky and Maria Magdalena Danelchuk. He was educated in Ukraine and served in the Austrian army before immigrating to Canada in 1896 with his mother, brother Kost and his wife, and his aunt Paraska and her children. Nemirsky acquired a homestead at Section 22, Township 56, Range 18, West of the 4th Meridian (22-56-18-W4) near Edna, Alberta (later known as Star, Alberta) and married Katherine Marianicz on June 12, 1898.

    Nemirsky requested a post office to be formed in the area and circa February 1899 the Wostok Post Office was established on Nemirsky's homestead and he became the first postmaster, a position he retained until May 1912. In 1905 Nemirsky purchased land on the north side of Wostok at Section 14, Township 56, Range 18, West of the 4th Meridian (14-56-18-W4) and moved his family and the post office to this new location. Around the same time he became an agent for Frost and Wood Machinery and International Harvester Company, and in 1912 he entered a partnership with Dmetrius Plechosky to operate a general store and machinery agency called Nemirsky and Plechosky Company. Nemirsky was appointed to various positions in the district including district commissioner of Local Improvement District (LID) Number (No.) 28-N-4, commissioner for oaths, land guide for the Dominion Land Office, provincial attendance officer, enumerator of Polling Sub-division Number (No.) 13 in the Electoral Division of Victoria, trustee for Wostok School District No. 528 and secretary for Lwiw School District No. 1474, and registrar of vital statistics. He was also a registered keeper of bees, a licensed game guardian, and acted as an agent for the Yorkshire Insurance Company Limited (Ltd). He was a member of the Russo Greek Catholic Orthodox Congregation of Holy Trinity, the Modern Woodmen of America Independence Camp No. 26 and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF) Lamont Lodge No. 78. Nemirsky died on July 21, 1946.

    Katherine (Catherine) Nemirsky (nee Marianicz) was born on January 10, 1878 in Galacia, Ukraine to Semeon Marianicz and Maria Wakaruk. She married Theodore Nemirsky on June 12, 1898 and together they had eight living children, Peggy (Pelamna), Elias (Ilko), Marine (Marena), Michael (Mechas), Zoe (Zoya), Nick (Nikolai), Barbara, and Tom (Athanasius). Three children, Anna (1920-1920), Peter (1922-1922) and Paul (1922-1923), died in infancy. Katherine Nemirsky died on February 5, 1933.

    Peggy Nemirsky was born on May 16, 1902. She became a teacher and later married Peter Miskew. Together they had two daughters, Victoria and June. Nemirsky died in 1937.

    Elias Nemirsky was born on July 20, 1905 and worked for United Grain Growers for 38 years before his retirement. He married Helen Kucy and together they had four living children, Theodore, Lawrence, Robert, and Rosalie. Nemirsky died in 1976.

    Marine Nemirsky was born on March 10, 1907 and was living in Edmonton at the time of her death in 1973.

    Michael Nemirsky was born on November 13, 1909 and managed the Imperial Lumber yard at St. Michael, Alberta. In 1939 he became secretary-treasurer of the Municipal District (MD) of Leslie and later for the MD of Lamont. He was a secretary of the Elk Island Park Committee, the Alberta Association of Municipal District Secretary-Treasurers, and on the board of the Archer Memorial Hospital. He and his wife Mabel Buchanan had two children, Myrna and Norman. Nemirsky died in 1968.

    Zoe Nemirsky was born on December 30, 1911 and worked for the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Edmonton, Alberta until her retirement. She married John Sorochan and together they had four sons, Eugene, Michael, Joseph, and David. She died in 1991.

    Nick Nemirsky was born on December 19, 1914. He worked in an aircraft factory during World War II and later joined the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF). After leaving the RCAF he worked as a parts man in Lamont, Wetaskiwin, and Camrose, Alberta. He marred Zena Malec and together they had one daughter, Adele. Nemirsky died in 1971.

    Barbara Nemirsky was born on December 13, 1916 and lived in Edmonton, Alberta. She died in 1995.

    Tom Nemirsky was born on July 18, 1919. On July 20, 1946 he married Lena (Elena) Topolnisky, daughter of Sophie and John Topolnisky of Sniatyn, Alberta, and together they had two living children, Eugene and Michael. Nemirsky lived on the family homestead at Section 14, Township 56, Range 18, West of the 4th Meridian (14-56-18-W4) until 1965 when he and his wife moved to Edmonton, Alberta. Nemirsky held various positions in the district including secretary, cemetery caretaker, and board member for the Russo Greek Catholic Orthodox Congregation of Holy Trinity at St. Michael, Alberta, returning officer for the Lamont School Division No. 18, secretary of the St. Michael United Farmers of Alberta (UFA) Co-operative Local, secretary-treasurer of Farmers Union of Alberta (FUA) District No. 6 (Lamont), trustee for Wostok School District No. 528, and president of the Peno Rural Electrification Association Ltd. and the 4 Point Trucking Co-operative Limited. He was also a member of St. Michael Community Welfare Association, the Vegreville Federal Progressive Conservative Association, and Alberta Wheat Pool He also acted as a consultant for many publications which recorded the history of Alberta's Ukrainian pioneers, and had his father's journals translated and published. After moving to Edmonton in 1965, Nemirsky worked as supervisor of stores for Canada Post Corporation until his retirement, and was archivist for St. Barbara's Russian Orthodox Cathedral. Nemirsky died on August 29, 2001 survived by his wife, Lynn who died on April 24, 2003.

    Custodial history

    Scope and content

    Fonds consists of the personal records of various members of the Nemirsky family and includes estate records, genealogical records, records pertaining to the Eastern Orthodox Church, historical/biographical sketches and obituaries of various Ukrainian Canadians, homesteading and property records, brand, stock and crop records, records pertaining to school reunions and centenary celebrations, tourism records, and election materials. Fonds also contains a number of photocopied photographs and original photographs that depict family members, churches and various views in the Wostok, Alberta area. Fonds also includes a drawing by Michael Nemirsky, district and township maps, and blueprints of a gothic barn, a one room school house, a granary and John Bruchal’s house.

    Notes area

    Physical condition

    Immediate source of acquisition

    Eugene and Michael Nemirsky deposited these records in the Provincial Archives of Alberta in 2003.

    Arrangement

    Arrangement note: Any records not explicitly recognizable as belonging to any one of the multiple fonds that were deposited in this accession have been included in the Nemirsky family fonds.

    Language of material

      Script of material

        Language and script note

        The majority of the records in this fonds are in English but some of the records may be in Ukrainian, Russian, Church Slavonic or Polish.

        Location of originals

        Availability of other formats

        Restrictions on access

        Access Conditions: None

        Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

        Use Conditions: Permission for use required. Subject to the Copyright Act.

        Finding aids

        File list is available.

        Associated materials

        Other records pertaining to Theodore Nemirsky can be found in the Wostok Post Office fonds; Local Improvement District No. 28-N-4, Wostok School District No. 528, Plechosky and Nemirsky Company fonds, and Russo Greek Catholic Orthodox Congregation of Holy Trinity fonds. Other records pertaining to Michael Nemirsky can be found in Elk Island Park Museum Committee. Other records pertaining to Tom Nemirsky can be found in the St. Michael Co-operative Local fonds, 4 Point Trucking Co-operative Association, District No. 6 (Lamont) Association sous-fonds and Russo Greek Catholic Orthodox Congregation of Holy Trinity fonds.

        Other records pertaining to Theodore Nemirsky can be found in the Theodore Nemirsky fonds located at Glenbow Archives in Calgary, Alberta.

        Accruals

        Further accruals are not expected.

        General note

        The records of the Nemirsky family fonds were deposited at the same time and in the same accession as records belonging to the following unrelated fonds and sous-fonds: Farmers’ Union of Alberta District No. 6 (Lamont) Association sous-fonds; Elk Island Park Museum Committee fonds; 4 Point Trucking Co-operative Association Limited fonds; Local Improvement District No. 28-N-4 fonds; Plechosky and Nemirsky Company fonds; Russo Greek Catholic Orthodox Congregation of Holy Trinity Church fonds; Peno Rural Electrification Association Limited fonds; St. Michael UFA Co-operative Local fonds; Wostok Post Office fonds; Wostok School District No. 528 fonds. Some books and publications deposited in this accession have been transferred to the Provincial Archives of Alberta Reference Library. The information for the biographical sketch was taken from the records and from Pride in Progress located in the Provincial Archives of Alberta Reference Library under location number 971.

        General note

        Includes accession PR2003.0544.

        Physical description

        Fonds also includes 61 maps, 32 photographs, 11 architectural drawings, and 1 drawing.

        Alternative identifier(s)

        Standard number

        Standard number

        Access points

        Place access points

        Name access points

        Genre access points

        Control area

        Description record identifier

        Institution identifier

        Rules or conventions

        Status

        Level of detail

        Dates of creation, revision and deletion

        Language of description

          Script of description

            Sources

            Accession area