Fonds PR1016 - Northern Alberta Sports Car Club fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Northern Alberta Sports Car Club fonds

General material designation

    Parallel title

    Other title information

    Title statements of responsibility

    Title notes

    • Source of title proper: Title based on the content of the records.

    Level of description

    Fonds

    Reference code

    PR1016

    Edition area

    Edition statement

    Edition statement of responsibility

    Class of material specific details area

    Statement of scale (cartographic)

    Statement of projection (cartographic)

    Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

    Statement of scale (architectural)

    Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

    Dates of creation area

    Date(s)

    • 1955-2011 (Creation)

    Physical description area

    Physical description

    5.20 m textual records
    298 photographs
    24 negatives
    137 transparencies
    2 1/2" floppy diskettes
    3 VHS videocassettes
    1 map

    Publisher's series area

    Title proper of publisher's series

    Parallel titles of publisher's series

    Other title information of publisher's series

    Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

    Numbering within publisher's series

    Note on publisher's series

    Archival description area

    Name of creator

    (1957-)

    Administrative history

    The Northern Alberta Sports Car Club (NASCC) is a group of motorsport enthusiasts that focuses on racing competitions in Northern Alberta. It was formed in September 1957 in Edmonton, Alberta, and incorporated on December 6th, 1957. The Club’s initial executive team was made up of a president, vice-president, secretary, corresponding secretary and various managers and committee chairs including competition, membership, social, public relations, technical, and special events chairs, an equipment manager, clubhouse manager, concession manager, and a newsletter editor. The Club was created to provide for the recreation of its members and promote an affordable opportunity for friendly and social activities. Specifically, the club organized and participated in various motor sport events, holding its first sports car race at the Edmonton International Airport in Alberta, on August 26th, 1958.

    The groups is known to host a number of races throughout the province, including those that take place during the winter months on frozen lakes. Some of the race sites include: Alberta Beach, Lac St. Anne, Roy’s Lake, and Cooking Lake. In the summer months, they host multiple road races and lapping events at the Rad-Torque Road Course, located near Nisku, Alberta.

    As of 2023, the NASCC is an active member of the Western Canada Motorsport Association (WCMA) and hosts regular events and meetings for its members. It is currently governed by a Board of Directors consisting of a president, vice president and race director, treasurer, secretary, and director at large. The organization awards lifetime membership to those who have shown outstanding commitment and contributed to the success of the NASCC for many years. The group has been closely affiliated with other national and international racing groups such as the Canadian Automobile Sports Club (CASC) and the Federation Internationale de L’Automobile (FIA).

    Custodial history

    Scope and content

    The fonds consists of a collection of meeting minutes of the Northern Alberta Sports Car Club from September 29, 1957 to December 11, 1968. Other textual materials consist of records created by the Board such as agendas, events plans, internal correspondence, and financial statements. The fonds also includes rules and regulations, policies and procedures, posters, and newsletters, as well as race-specific statistics, driver profiles, race results, and track records. Organizational records relate to the NASCC Clubhouse, Driving School, Board, and committees.

    The audiovisual material consists of photographs and video footage from NASCC races, as well as software relating to their timing system for these activities.

    Notes area

    Physical condition

    Immediate source of acquisition

    Records were first deposited to the Provincial Archives of Alberta by George R. Harker in 1974. David Welsh made two donations in 2015. Gunther Ruppel made a donation in 2022.

    Arrangement

    Language of material

      Script of material

        Language and script note

        The material is in English.

        Location of originals

        Availability of other formats

        Restrictions on access

        None

        Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

        Permission for use required. Subject to the Copyright Act.

        Finding aids

        File list is not available.

        Associated materials

        Related materials

        Accruals

        Further accruals are not expected.

        General note

        Includes accessions PR1974.0384, PR2015.1215, PR2022.1287

        Alternative identifier(s)

        Standard number

        Standard number

        Access points

        Place access points

        Name access points

        Genre access points

        Control area

        Description record identifier

        Institution identifier

        Rules or conventions

        Status

        Level of detail

        Dates of creation, revision and deletion

        Language of description

          Script of description

            Sources

            Accession area