Fonds PR2171 - Ponoka County fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Ponoka County fonds

General material designation

    Parallel title

    Other title information

    Title statements of responsibility

    Title notes

    • Source of title proper: Title based on the content of the records.

    Level of description

    Fonds

    Reference code

    PR2171

    Edition area

    Edition statement

    Edition statement of responsibility

    Class of material specific details area

    Statement of scale (cartographic)

    Statement of projection (cartographic)

    Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

    Statement of scale (architectural)

    Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

    Dates of creation area

    Date(s)

    • 1903-1979 (Creation)

    Physical description area

    Physical description

    13.31 m of textual records. -- 2 maps. -- 1 photograph.

    Publisher's series area

    Title proper of publisher's series

    Parallel titles of publisher's series

    Other title information of publisher's series

    Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

    Numbering within publisher's series

    Note on publisher's series

    Archival description area

    Name of creator

    Administrative history

    In 1883, the Northwest Territorial Council passed the Municipal Ordinance, allowing for the establishment of local governments areas. In response to the Ordinance, many townships -- typically comprised of 36 sections of land --, organized to form herd districts (1883), fire districts (1886), and statute labour districts (1887). In 1897, all three ordinances amalgamated with the passing of the Local Improvement Ordinance. Local improvement districts maintained public works such as road building, management of fires, noxious fumes, and animals. A 1903 amendment of the Local Improvement Ordinance allowed local improvement districts to include between 3 and 6 townships.

    In 1912 with the passing of the Rural Municipality Act, the Province of Alberta created the Department of Municipal Affairs. The Act allowed 9 townships to apply for incorporation as a rural municipality as long as the land contained 1 person/square mile. Under this provision some local improvement districts organized as municipalities while others chose to continue as local improvement districts. In 1918, the Government of Alberta required the organization of all local improvement districts into municipalities with the Municipal Districts Act.

    Ponoka County's Municipal History began when Local Improvement District No. 428 held its first meeting in 1915. Councilors included: P.R. Stewart, J.B. Wilcox, F.J. Bullock, and G. Boddy. In 1917, it became the Municipal District of Waterglen No. 428. In 1944, Waterglen No. 428 and Fertile Valley No. 429 merged to become Municipal District of Ponoka No. 66.

    In the central region the Local Improvement District No. 429 held its first meeting in 1915. Councilors included Marcus Crandall, Anton Lax, L.V. Bailey, and James Grierson. In 1918, the name changed to the Municipal District of Fertile Valley No. 429.

    Towards the East, Local Improvement District No. 430 held its first meeting in 1918. Councilors included John Eadie, Henry Watts, James Jefferson, Paul Ediger, Charles Bishop, James E. Dye, and M.C. Pratt. In 1919, the name changed to the Municipal District of Blindman No. 430.

    In 1944, Municipal District of Last West No. 431 became the Municipal District of Last West No. 67.

    Further East, Local Improvement District No. 431 held its first meeting in 1913. Councilors included William Connors, J.H. Lawyer, John Dixon, Leo Benson, John Hall, H. Nicholson, and M.C. Platt. In 1944, No. 431 amalgamated with Last West No. 67.

    1953 saw the merger of Municipal Districts. Municipal District of Ponoka No. 66 merged with Ponoka School Division No. 34 to form Ponoka County No. 3. In 1999, Ponoka County No. 3 changed its name to Ponoka County.

    Custodial history

    Scope and content

    The fonds includes minutes, cashbooks, assessment rolls and registers, cash book receipts, auditors financial statements, and tax rolls originating from local improvement districts, municipal districts, and the Central Alberta Association of Municipal Districts and County dating from 1907-1979. In addition, the fonds contains two maps illustrating land boundaries of Ponoka County.

    The fonds also includes minute books, school censuses, assessment and tax rolls, cashbooks, inspection reports, correspondence, statement of grants, minutes, tax receipts, auditor's statements, attendance registers, cashbooks, and deposit slips from the following schools dating from 1903-1979:

    • Arbour Park No. 515 (Wiltse), 33-43-25-W4, 1899-1952
    • Asker No. 408 (Smith's Groove 1898-1899), 11-42-23-W4
    • Beaconsfield No. 3828 (Chabottevilee): 42-5-W5, 1919 -?
    • Bismark No. 971: NW-8-43-27-W4,1903 - ?
    • Blindman River No. 4244, SW-16-44-4-W5, 1926- [1956]
    • Blindman Valley No. 1645: NW-7-43-2-W5, 1907-1949
    • Bluff Centre No. 1735 (Bluffton): SW- 6-44-2- W5, 1907
    • Bluffton No. 1735 (Bluff Centre): SW-6-44-2-W5, 1907-1940
    • Bobtail No. 4107: 25-43-25-W4, 1922- 1954
    • Calumet No. 1233: SE-26-42-22-W4, 1905-1949
    • Chapel No. 588: SE-6-42-1-w5, 1905-1953
    • Chesterville No. 3525, SE-18-56-10-W4, 1912- [1956]
    • Climax No. 722: SW-19-43-23-W4, 1902- 1949
    • Concord No. 658: NE- 10-42-24-W4,1905-1953
    • Crystal Springs No. 1763: SW-22-42-1-W, 1907-1953
    • Dakota No. 665: SW-27-43-27-W4, 1902-1954
    • Dennis No. 2092 (Brooks 1911-1922): 32-18-14-W4, 1909
    • Eastside No. 668: 6-43-24-W4, 1902-1951
    • Elkhorn No. 608, NW-7-42-26-W4, 1901-1952
    • Ellice No. 1703: SW-1-42-22-W4, 1907-1955
    • Eureka No. 717 (Mecca Glen): SW-29-42-23-W4, 1902- ?
    • Faraway No. 4682: 9-43-6-W5, 1935 -?
    • Ferrybank No. 630: NE-31-43-26-W4, 1901- 1951
    • Fertile Forest No. 3177: SW-7-43-26-W4, 1914-1953
    • Fuller No. 3189: NW-32-42-3-W5, 1914- ?
    • Gadsby Lake No. 2816: NE- 10-41-23-W4, 1912- 1956
    • George No. 1522: 22-41-22-W4, 1906- [1946]
    • Glen Falloch No. 2628: 19-44-27-W4, 1913- 1956
    • Grand Meadow No. 671: 27-42-26-W4,1902-1948
    • Halfway Grove No. 3528 (Sylvan Heights 1918): NW-16-44-27-W4, 1918- 1956
    • Harmonien No. 3639: 36-44-2-W5, 1918-1949
    • Hazel Hill No. 767-:35-43-26-W4, 1902- ?
    • Hoadley No. 2948 (Pineville): 34-44-3-W5, 1913-1959
    • Hobbema No. 4445: 29-44-24-W4, 1929- 1953
    • Homeglen No. 2084: 16-44-1-W5, 1909-1956
    • Iola No. 1900: 17-44-3-W5, 1908- 1960
    • Lavesta No. 2453: SE-29-43-3-W5, 1911- ?
    • Leedale No. 1576: SE-11-42-4-W5, 1906- 1959
    • Lonesome Pine No. 3356: NW-4-45-W5, 1926 -?
    • Lundgren No. 2594: SE-44-28-W4, 1911-1953
    • Magic No. 742: SE-2-43-24-W4, 1902- 1949
    • Manfred No. 782: 15-42-22-W4, 1903- 1949
    • Manito No. 3939: 11-44-25-W4, 1920- [1953]
    • Meadow Brooke No. 1751: SE- 15-42-28-W4, 1908 - 1953
    • Meadowvale No. 4704: 1-43-4-W5, 1935- ?
    • Mecca Glen (Eureka) No. 717: 29-42-23-W4, 1902-1949
    • Midland No. 4856: SW-17-42-35-W5, 1939- 1955
    • Monte Vista No. 895: SE 15-43-2-W5, 1903-1942
    • Morningside No. 2991: 2-42-26-W4, 1913- 1953
    • Mountainview No. 281: 19-2-27-W4, 1893- 1936
    • Park Springs No. 1963: NW 22-43-28-W4, 1908-1944
    • Pineview No. 1854: 29-34-4-W5, 1913- 1951
    • Pleasant Hill No. 607: NE-4-42-26-W5, 1901- ?
    • Ponoka No. 423: 4-43-25-W4, 1896 - ?
    • Poplar Forest No. 4274: 44-24-W4, 1926- 1950
    • Potter Creek No. 1791: NW-14-42-3-W5, 1908
    • Progressive No. 561: 5-42-27-W4, 1900- ?
    • Reo No. 4416: SW- 25- 53-7-W5, 1929 - 1956
    • Rimbey No. 661 (Kansas Ridge): 28-42-2-W5, 1902 - ?
    • Rose No. 2288 : SE-33-42-1-W5, 1910-1953
    • Schultz No. 1226: 2-43-33-W4, 1905- 1950
    • Scott No. 575: SE-11-42-25-W4, 1900- 1945
    • Seafield No. 589: 17-42-25-W4, 1901- 1949
    • Sharp Head 3667: 11-43-26- W4, 1902- 1944
    • Sylvan Side No. 3921: SW- 26-42-25-W4, 1920- 1943
    • Symonds No. 1615: SW-4-42-2-W5, 1907- ?
    • Water Glen (Smith's Grove till 1899) No. 499: SE-21-43-22-W4, 1899-1949
    • Western Sunset No. 4662: NW-35-44-4-W5, 1935- ?
    • Westling No. 556: NE-17-41-24-W4, 1900- ?
    • Willesden Green No. 3074: 7-19-22-W4, 1910- 1941
    • Wilmot No. 2844: NW-34-42-28-W4, 1912 -1953
    • Wolfville No. 633: NW- 21-42-27-W4, 1901- 1953, and
    • Wooddale No. 3368 (Hohn): 25-42-2-W5, 1916- 1950.

    Notes area

    Physical condition

    Immediate source of acquisition

    In 1969, 1970, and 1990 Ponoka County donated the material to the Provincial Archives of Alberta. The materials comprising PR2009.0495 were deposited at the Provincial Archives of Alberta by Colleen Fenwick on June 19, 2009. Her mother, Betty Burns, was a student in the Homeglen District.

    Arrangement

    Language of material

      Script of material

        Language and script note

        The material is in English.

        Location of originals

        Availability of other formats

        Restrictions on access

        Access Conditions: None

        Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

        Use Conditions: Permission for use required. Subject to the Copyright Act.

        Finding aids

        Some file lists are available.

        Associated materials

        The Provincial Archives of Alberta holds many more school district records and local government records.

        Accruals

        Further accruals are not expected.

        General note

        Information for biographical history sourced from:

        Ponoka County GenWeb website available at http://www.rootsweb.com/~abponoka/index.htm (Accessed August 22, 2007)

        County of Ponoka District Schools: http://www.rootsweb.com/~abponoka/index-schooldistrict.htmNo. top, (Accessed May 4, 2007);

        William Peter Baergen, Pioneering with a Piece of Chalk: The One-Room Country Schools of Alberta 1885-1982, 2005.

        Municipal Profiles: http://www.municipalaffairs.gov.ab.ca/cfml/profiles/index.cfm (Accessed August 22, 2007).

        Eric J. Hanson, Local Government in Alberta, Toronto: McClelland & Stewart, 1956.

        Bert Wolfe, Understanding Western Canada's Land Survey System, Saskatchewan UP, 1978.

        General note

        Includes accessions PR2009.0495, PR1969.0147, PR1970.0086, and PR1990.0055.

        General note

        Maps that are relevant to the Indigenous Resource Guide can be found in files PR1969.0147/176 (plan for the Stoney Reserve), PR1969.0147/177 (Bobtail Reserve), GR1969.0147/178 (Bands of Chiefs Ermineskin and Louis Bull), and PR1969.0147/234 (Sharp-Head Indian Reserve).

        Alternative identifier(s)

        Standard number

        Standard number

        Access points

        Place access points

        Name access points

        Genre access points

        Control area

        Description record identifier

        Institution identifier

        Rules or conventions

        Status

        Level of detail

        Dates of creation, revision and deletion

        Language of description

          Script of description

            Sources

            Accession area