Fonds PR3492 - Presbyterian Church in Canada, Presbytery of Medicine Hat fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Presbyterian Church in Canada, Presbytery of Medicine Hat fonds

General material designation

    Parallel title

    Other title information

    Title statements of responsibility

    Title notes

    • Source of title proper: Title based on the content of the records.

    Level of description

    Fonds

    Reference code

    PR3492

    Edition area

    Edition statement

    Edition statement of responsibility

    Class of material specific details area

    Statement of scale (cartographic)

    Statement of projection (cartographic)

    Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

    Statement of scale (architectural)

    Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

    Dates of creation area

    Date(s)

    • 1914-1925 (Creation)

    Physical description area

    Physical description

    0.03 m of textual records

    Publisher's series area

    Title proper of publisher's series

    Parallel titles of publisher's series

    Other title information of publisher's series

    Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

    Numbering within publisher's series

    Note on publisher's series

    Archival description area

    Name of creator

    (1914-1925)

    Administrative history

    The Presbytery of Medicine Hat was erected on September 4, 1914 on the authority of the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in Canada and situated within the Synod of Alberta. The Presbytery administered the work and life of the Church in the vicinity of Medicine Hat, Alberta and had oversight of the Presbyterian congregations within its bounds. As a court of the Presbyterian Church, the presbytery was responsible for church property, missions, Sunday Schools, Young People's Societies, statistics and finance, colleges and the examination of students, and the review of church records. Like all presbyteries, its officers included a moderator, a clerk, a treasurer, clergy, and elders.

    The Presbytery of Medicine Hat continued to function until 1925 when The Presbyterian Church in Canada united with The Methodist Church and The Congregational Churches of Canada to form The United Church of Canada. The Presbytery of Medicine Hat was dissolved in 1925 when its members joined The United Church and the new entity known as The United Church of Canada Medicine Hat Presbytery was created. As the Presbyterian vote in favour of Union was not unanimous, The Presbyterian Church in Canada continued to exist after 1925 for those Presbyterian members who did not join The United Church of Canada. It is unknown if the Presbytery of Medicine Hat continued to exist as a post-Union Presbyterian entity.

    Custodial history

    Records deposited under accession number PR1975.0387 were acquired sometime prior to 1975 however there is no surviving record of the details.

    Scope and content

    The fonds consists of minutes (1914-1925); certificate of transfer, testimonial, authorization of proxy (1925); minutes of interim meeting (1925); returns on ministers, students and licentiates (1925); Treasurer's accounts (1915-1925) of the Presbyterian Church in Canada, Presbytery of Medicine Hat.

    Notes area

    Physical condition

    Immediate source of acquisition

    In 1975, the Conference entered into a permanent loan agreement with the Provincial Archives of Alberta (PAA) for the physical custody and control of the holdings of the Conference Archives and the records were relocated to the PAA in that same year.

    Arrangement

    The materials have been arranged chronologically and in accordance with the congregational series arrangement plan.

    Language of material

      Script of material

        Language and script note

        The material is in English.

        Location of originals

        Availability of other formats

        Restrictions on access

        None

        Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

        Subject to the Copyright Act. Permission for use required. See Conference Archivist.

        Finding aids

        Inventory is available.

        Associated materials

        For additional materials please see the fonds of the regional Presbyteries of the pre 1925 Presbyterian Church PR3487-PR3495 in the United Church of Canada Alberta and Northwest Conference Archives, located at the Provincial Archives of Alberta.

        Accruals

        Further accruals are not expected.

        General note

        Information in the Administrative History was sourced from the fonds.

        General note

        Includes the following accession: PR1975.0387.

        Alternative identifier(s)

        Standard number

        Standard number

        Access points

        Place access points

        Name access points

        Genre access points

        Control area

        Description record identifier

        Institution identifier

        Rules or conventions

        Status

        Level of detail

        Dates of creation, revision and deletion

        Language of description

          Script of description

            Sources

            Accession area