Collection PR0566 - Sir Alexander Galt Museum and Archives collection

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Sir Alexander Galt Museum and Archives collection

General material designation

    Parallel title

    Other title information

    Title statements of responsibility

    Title notes

    • Source of title proper: Title based on the content of the records.

    Level of description

    Collection

    Reference code

    PR0566

    Edition area

    Edition statement

    Edition statement of responsibility

    Class of material specific details area

    Statement of scale (cartographic)

    Statement of projection (cartographic)

    Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

    Statement of scale (architectural)

    Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

    Dates of creation area

    Date(s)

    • 1903-1973 (Creation)

    Physical description area

    Physical description

    608 negatives and other material

    Publisher's series area

    Title proper of publisher's series

    Parallel titles of publisher's series

    Other title information of publisher's series

    Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

    Numbering within publisher's series

    Note on publisher's series

    Archival description area

    Name of creator

    Administrative history

    In 1965 the City of Lethbridge, Alberta opened its first civic museum with George McKillop as the first curator. The Museum was housed in the Bowman Elementary School building and then relocated to its present facility at the Galt Hospital and, after renovation, opened to the public as the Sir Alexander Galt Museum in 1967.

    The Museum was operated by the Lethbridge Historical Society and volunteers until 1971 when professional staff was employed. In the early 1980's the Museum expanded again with new gallery space and expanded storage space, which allowed the Museum to develop new programs and temporary exhibits. The Museum now cares for over 20,000 artifacts and 300,000 archival documents and photographs.

    Custodial history

    Scope and content

    Collection consists of coal mining union agreements, an Alberta government Department of Public Welfare information booklet, a report entitled Who’s Who in Alberta Agriculture, a Lethbridge School souvenir programme, notes, correspondence, and reports of C. A. (Charles Alexander) Magrath, Manager of the Canadian Northwest Irrigation Company, concerning St. Mary water rights and the St. Mary and Milk Rivers diversions, undated photographs depicting farming in the Peace River area, and a view of the Clearwater River and Dr. Frank Hamilton Mewburn of Lethbridge, Alberta. Collection includes microfilm copies of correspondence written to William Stafford dated 1883-1894, various records concerning farming, irrigation, homesteading, and Lethbridge, Alberta dated 1887-1921, a map of Alberta electoral districts dated 1924, and correspondence, reports and memorandum from the Alberta Railway and Irrigation Company dating 1885-1906. Collection also includes copied photographs from a number of photograph albums, some with annotations, dating 1830-1935, which depict various forts, trading posts, canals, people, buildings, farms, livestock, and views in Alberta and western Canada.

    Notes area

    Physical condition

    Immediate source of acquisition

    Mr. Alex Johnston, a member of the Lethbridge Historical Society and founding member of the Sir Alexander Galt Museum and Archives, deposited accession PR1971.0306 in the Provincial Archives of Alberta in 1971. Rosemary M. Allan, Museum Supervisor, deposited accession PR1972.0330 in the Archives in 1972 for the purpose of allowing the Archives to make a copy of the records. Mr. W.J. Elliott, Museum Supervisor, deposited accessions PR1973.0062 and PR1973.0375 in the Archives in 1973.

    Arrangement

    Arrangement note: Items numbered 9, 10a, 10b, and 12 in accession PR1973.0375 were returned to the Sir Alexander Galt Museum and Archives and copies retained in the Provincial Archives of Alberta.

    Language of material

      Script of material

        Language and script note

        The material is in English.

        Location of originals

        Availability of other formats

        Restrictions on access

        Access Conditions: None

        Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

        Use Conditions: Permission for use required. Subject to the Copyright Act.

        Finding aids

        Some inventories are available.

        Associated materials

        Other records pertaining to Dr. Frank Hamilton Mewburn can be found in the Frank H. Mewburn fonds located at the Sir Alexander Galt Museum and Archives in Lethbridge, Alberta. Other records pertaining to the Alberta Railway and Irrigation Company can be found in the Alberta Railway and Irrigation Company fonds located at the Glenbow Archives in Calgary, Alberta. Other records pertaining to C.A. Magrath can be found in the Charles Alexander Magrath fonds located at the National Archives of Canada in Ottawa, Ontario.

        Related materials

        Accruals

        Further accruals are not expected.

        General note

        Includes the following accessions:

        PR1973.0375
        PR1971.0306
        PR1972.0330
        PR1973.0062

        Physical description

        Fonds also includes 5 photographs, 0.07 m of textual records, and 1 microfilm.

        Alternative identifier(s)

        Standard number

        Standard number

        Access points

        Place access points

        Name access points

        Genre access points

        Control area

        Description record identifier

        Institution identifier

        Rules or conventions

        Status

        Level of detail

        Dates of creation, revision and deletion

        Language of description

          Script of description

            Sources

            Accession area