Collection PR2811 - St. Charles Mission collection

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

St. Charles Mission collection

General material designation

    Parallel title

    Other title information

    Title statements of responsibility

    Title notes

    • Source of title proper: Title based on the content of the records.

    Level of description

    Collection

    Reference code

    PR2811

    Edition area

    Edition statement

    Edition statement of responsibility

    Class of material specific details area

    Statement of scale (cartographic)

    Statement of projection (cartographic)

    Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

    Statement of scale (architectural)

    Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

    Dates of creation area

    Date(s)

    • 1889 - 1987 (Creation)

    Physical description area

    Physical description

    0.01 m of textual records

    Publisher's series area

    Title proper of publisher's series

    Parallel titles of publisher's series

    Other title information of publisher's series

    Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

    Numbering within publisher's series

    Note on publisher's series

    Archival description area

    Name of creator

    Administrative history

    In 1867, Father Tissier of the Oblates of Mary Immaculate, a Roman Catholic missionary order, founded the Saint-Charles Mission, in the area of the future Fort Dunvegan, North-Western Territory (presently Alberta). In 1884, a church was built for the mission. Father Grouard, later Bishop Grouard, painted the interior of the church. The church is now an historic site of Alberta.

    Custodial history

    In 1985, during restoration of the St. Charles Mission Church, workers discovered the letters wedged between the wall logs of the building. The letters were sent to Lawson Restoration Services for conservation treatment. Following treatment, Louise Zuk translated the letters into French and English. The letters and their transcriptions were then deposited with the Provincial Museum of Alberta in 1987.

    Scope and content

    The fonds consists of letters from Father Collignon of the St. Bernard Mission in Grouard, Alberta to Father Le Serrec of the St. Charles Mission in Dunvegan, Alberta dating from 1889. The fonds also includes photocopies of the letters, and typed transcriptions of the letters into French and English dating from 1987 written by Louise Zuk.

    Notes area

    Physical condition

    Immediate source of acquisition

    In 1992, the Provincial Museum of Alberta donated the material to the Provincial Archives of Alberta.

    Arrangement

    Language of material

      Script of material

        Language and script note

        The material is in English and French.

        Location of originals

        Availability of other formats

        Restrictions on access

        Access Conditions: None

        Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

        Use Conditions: Permission for use required. Subject to the Copyright Act.

        Finding aids

        File list is not available.

        Associated materials

        Related materials

        Accruals

        Further accruals are not expected.

        General note

        Includes accession PR1992.0057.

        Alternative identifier(s)

        Standard number

        Standard number

        Access points

        Place access points

        Name access points

        Genre access points

        Control area

        Description record identifier

        Institution identifier

        Rules or conventions

        Status

        Level of detail

        Dates of creation, revision and deletion

        Language of description

          Script of description

            Sources

            Accession area