Fonds PR2827 - Sturgeon School Division fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Sturgeon School Division fonds

General material designation

    Parallel title

    Other title information

    Title statements of responsibility

    Title notes

    • Source of title proper: Title based on the content of the records.

    Level of description


    Reference code


    Edition area

    Edition statement

    Edition statement of responsibility

    Class of material specific details area

    Statement of scale (cartographic)

    Statement of projection (cartographic)

    Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

    Statement of scale (architectural)

    Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

    Dates of creation area


    • Copied [ca. 1983] (Creation)

    Physical description area

    Physical description

    3 rolls of microfilm

    Publisher's series area

    Title proper of publisher's series

    Parallel titles of publisher's series

    Other title information of publisher's series

    Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

    Numbering within publisher's series

    Note on publisher's series

    Archival description area

    Name of creator

    Administrative history

    The School Act, 1931, Amendment Act, 1936 (SA 1936, c. 85) provided for consolidation of school districts into larger administrative bodies known as school divisions. In 1939, Sturgeon School Division formed, taking administrative responsibility for numerous one-room school districts of the region. Mr. Speers served as Chairman of the Board, J.E. Holmes as Vice Chairman, E. Meaden as Secretary-Treasurer, and Mr. LeBlanc as Superintendent of Schools.

    In 1961, the County of Sturgeon formed, and all responsibilities of the former division transferred to the County of Sturgeon. In 1965, after a county plebiscite ruled to revert to status as a Municipal District, Sturgeon School Division reorganized.

    Sturgeon School Division continues to operate in the areas of Riviere Qui Barré, Bon Accord, Gibbons, Redwater, and Namao St. Albert.

    Custodial history

    Scope and content

    The fonds consists of microfilm copies of the minutes of the Sturgeon School Division dating from 1938 to 1982.

    Notes area

    Physical condition

    Immediate source of acquisition

    In 1983 and 1984, Sturgeon School Division donated the material to the Provincial Archives of Alberta.


    Language of material

      Script of material

        Language and script note

        The material is in English.

        Location of originals

        Availability of other formats

        Restrictions on access

        Access Conditions: None

        Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

        Use Conditions: Permission for use required. Subject to the Copyright Act.

        Finding aids

        File list is not available.

        Associated materials

        The Provincial Archives of Alberta holds many more school district records. Please also see the County of Sturgeon fonds for more information of the Sturgeon School Division.

        Related materials


        General note

        Information for the administrative history/biographical sketch sourced from: Sturgeon School Division, (Accessed Oct. 30, 2007) and A Short History of the Sturgeon School Division,\_01.pdf (Accessed Oct. 30, 2007).

        General note

        Includes accessions PR1983.0160 and PR1984.0404.

        Alternative identifier(s)

        Standard number

        Standard number

        Access points

        Name access points

        Genre access points

        Control area

        Description record identifier

        Institution identifier

        Rules or conventions


        Level of detail

        Dates of creation, revision and deletion

        Language of description

          Script of description


            Accession area